PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have Nikon sb-29 ring flash?

nwpoland
09-01-2005, 12:19 AM
On a curious hunt I went looking this morning for info on ring flashes after watching some episodes of Law&Order:CSI in which the investigators use a ring flash for everything. I found the Nikon SB-29(s) but not much info on them.

Anyone have one? What are they designed for (Macro only)? Should such a flash be on the eventual "to buy" list?

Thanks!

Kenyada
09-01-2005, 04:35 AM
I don't have one, but I think they're cool :cool: Other than crime scene investigators, I would think pros who do intricate detail work like ads for magazines etc. would need that kind of illumination. Unlike me, the CSI team probably doesn't have to worry about their subjects blinking :)

nwpoland
09-01-2005, 10:29 AM
Unlike me, the CSI team probably doesn't have to worry about their subjects blinking :)

Haha!
I'm guessing that you wouldn't want to use one of these for people as it would result in red-eye since the flash is on the lens itself.

Other than that, I just wonder what the advantages/disadvantages are. It's just way to cool looking, IMO, to not put on the wish list if it will actually lead to good shots. Then again, maybe it's better to move toward my next lens instead of my next flash (duh!). :)

nwpoland
09-04-2005, 11:47 AM
Ran across the link below today and wanted to add it to this thread, esp since no one seemed to know much about using ring flashes. Maybe it'll help if anyone's interested...or if someone comes-a-searchin' for it in the future.

http://www.popphoto.com/article.asp?section_id=4&article_id=725

DeeZer
03-27-2008, 12:53 AM
On a curious hunt I went looking this morning for info on ring flashes after watching some episodes of Law&Order:CSI in which the investigators use a ring flash for everything. I found the Nikon SB-29(s) but not much info on them.

Anyone have one? What are they designed for (Macro only)? Should such a flash be on the eventual "to buy" list?

Thanks!

This is an old post, but one worth responding to with the subject being close-up flash photography.

Yes, I have and have extensively used the Nikon SB29 ring flash. Since the date of the original post, Nikon has done much to upgrade just how one can approach close-up flash. Without a doubt, the CLS system is far superior but more money.

The major disadvantage of the SB29 is that it is restricted to lenses with 72mm (or smaller filter threads). In addition, wide angle lenses will vingette.

In my studio and on a daily basis, I currently used the following light units:

Alien Bees Model B800
Alien Bees Model BR800
Nikon R200
Nikon SB80DX
Nikon SB-800
Nikon SB29
White Lightning Model X1600

If you have any questions regarding any of them, just say so.

You can find me at:

http://sheebah.com

Later,
DeeZer