PDA

View Full Version : How many pixels will I need to...

Gschmitt
09-23-2004, 03:40 PM
I will be purchasing a new digicam soon, and I expect the camera to outlast my current iMac which has a 15" LCD screen. My next computer will have at least a 17" LCD screen, and possibly a 20" screen. My question is how many pixels will the camera need to be to fill that size screen and retain full image quality.
I am interested in the Pana FZ3. Went to Circiut City to check one out. Pretty nice camera. I asked the sales person the same question posted here, and he proceeded to tell me that a 3mp camera is only good for a 4x6 photo and started pushing to an 8mp camera. I ignored everything the guy said from that point on. I know the camera will be good to 8x10 prints which will satisfy my printing needs, but can't seem to get a straight answer on my original question.

Thanks,
Gary

John_Reed
09-23-2004, 04:02 PM
I will be purchasing a new digicam soon, and I expect the camera to outlast my current iMac which has a 15" LCD screen. My next computer will have at least a 17" LCD screen, and possibly a 20" screen. My question is how many pixels will the camera need to be to fill that size screen and retain full image quality.
I am interested in the Pana FZ3. Went to Circiut City to check one out. Pretty nice camera. I asked the sales person the same question posted here, and he proceeded to tell me that a 3mp camera is only good for a 4x6 photo and started pushing to an 8mp camera. I ignored everything the guy said from that point on. I know the camera will be good to 8x10 prints which will satisfy my printing needs, but can't seem to get a straight answer on my original question.

Thanks,
GaryI'm sitting here typing this response in front of a 20.1" Formac screen, which takes 1600 X 1200 pixels to fill. That was precisely the file size of the images from my 2MP FZ1, so anything more than that would be gravy, as far as LCD screens go. Now Apple is touting a 30" LCD monitor these days, which as a 2560 X 1600 screen; that one would take a 5MP camera to fill.

D70FAN
09-23-2004, 05:11 PM

Thanks,
Gary

I think John covered the original question :)

Man, I hate it when they do that. I usually try to set them straight, but it seems to be a never ending educational process. :rolleyes:

Actually you can print non-studio quality prints (I call these "hang-in-the-hallway" prints) up to 13 x 17 from 3MP The Epson 2000P seems to do a pretty good job of this. One of these days I'll try a large format lab print from my old 990 pictures. Should be fine...

John_Reed
09-23-2004, 05:31 PM
I think John covered the original question :)

Man, I hate it when they do that. I usually try to set them straight, but it seems to be a never ending educational process. :rolleyes:

Actually you can print non-studio quality prints (I call these "hang-in-the-hallway" prints) up to 13 x 17 from 3MP The Epson 2000P seems to do a pretty good job of this. One of these days I'll try a large format lab print from my old 990 pictures. Should be fine...I've got a pretty fine 13X19 hanging on my office wall, made from a 2MP FZ1 image. I simply opened the file in Photoshop, asked it to "crop" the image to 13X19 at 160 dpi (bicubic interpolation), and then printed it on my then-new Epson 2200 printer. The print looked so good (it was the first piece of paper to run through the printer!) I went out and paid $250 to have it matted and framed! And it's sold at least 4 FZ1s, that I know of. Panasonic, where in Hell is my commission? :mad:

D70FAN
09-23-2004, 05:50 PM
I've got a pretty fine 13X19 hanging on my office wall, made from a 2MP FZ1 image. I simply opened the file in Photoshop, asked it to "crop" the image to 13X19 at 160 dpi (bicubic interpolation), and then printed it on my then-new Epson 2200 printer. The print looked so good (it was the first piece of paper to run through the printer!) I went out and paid $250 to have it matted and framed! And it's sold at least 4 FZ1s, that I know of. Panasonic, where in Hell is my commission? :mad:

At the very least they owe you the $250.

Man, I would love to be the marketing guy for the FZ series. What the heck are they thinking? They aren't.

Of course, then again, they've got us FOR FREE!

DOH! :o :eek:

Gschmitt
09-24-2004, 05:17 PM
Thanks for the replies.

BTW- Panasonic does owe people like you. I never considered a Pana until I read some of the positive comments on forums like this.

D70FAN
09-24-2004, 05:26 PM
Thanks for the replies.

BTW- Panasonic does owe people like you. I never considered a Pana until I read some of the positive comments on forums like this.

Yup. We like to give Panasonic a hard time, since John puts so much effort into tactical marketing and sales.

Nice work John. :)