PDA

View Full Version : Noise...good noise

reyval2k
08-30-2005, 11:35 PM
You know sometimes noise does add character to a picture. Let's not all get too flustered about noise.

Here's a good read by Mike Johnston on the subject:

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/columns/sm-july31-05.shtml

Bill Markwick
08-31-2005, 11:15 PM
You know sometimes noise does add character to a picture. Let's not all get too flustered about noise.

Here's a good read by Mike Johnston on the subject:

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/columns/sm-july31-05.shtml

Nice article. The noise about noise does get pretty silly. I've been keeping my eye out for the introduction of the Panasonic FZ30, and when it appeared, you could hear the international gasps of dismay at the supposed noise. It didn't look all that bad to me.

Someone on another site wrote, "I'd been taking digital pictures for years and I didn't even know what noise *was* until I read the newsgroups."

I think a lot of it is the oversell done by the marketers on digital. They've cranked up their ColossalSpeak to produce this:

SUPER FANTASTIC INCREDIBLE DIGITAL = PERFECTION!!!

Of course it has limitations just like any other process, and noise, to me anyway, isn't much different from the film grain that didn't cause 1/10 of the fuss.

Regards,
Bill "Noisy" Markwick

[C]irRuS
09-08-2005, 05:36 PM
When I started out digital photography, my first thought was to get a low noise digital camera. It will always produce the very very smooth and clear pictures.

As time goes by I feel that a little bit of noise... I mean not too much...
Just at appropriate time... can bring out the "FEEL" of a picture. That type of "FEEL" is something that you could never get from a smooth and low noise picture.

It definitely bring out life in a picture... an artwork... a masterpiece...
I think a room with incandelscent lighting suits a grainy feel (Just an example)

Grainy feel can produce a more layered effect if appropriate

I think Panasonic rany of digital camera produced some nice and abit grainy pictures. E.g. FZ 5 :cool: