PDA

View Full Version : Aperture Priority with manual focus lenses.

astro
08-30-2005, 01:36 PM
I have two Pentax-M lenses. When I set it to aperture priority, the aperture ring will not work. It will be locked at the most wide open aperture regardless of what I set it to. It works fine in manual mode, however.
I have enabled to aperture ring to work in the menu.
Is my camera defective or does yours work fine?

astro
09-03-2005, 11:04 PM
No one here has lens that have the aperture ring?? :confused:

Spot focus
09-16-2005, 12:56 AM
Hi Astro Have a look at this it may help http://forum.shutterbug.com/forum/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=1810&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=&fpart=1
I also saw ist D firmware update says something about M lenses We live in hope it filters down to DS

rjromero10
09-19-2005, 09:16 AM
I have two Pentax-M lenses. When I set it to aperture priority, the aperture ring will not work. It will be locked at the most wide open aperture regardless of what I set it to. It works fine in manual mode, however.
I have enabled to aperture ring to work in the menu.
Is my camera defective or does yours work fine?

Hi Astro,

I was reading the manual because I was trying the Pentax-M lens and if you look at page 179 I believe, it say that when you use the ring the Aperture stay wide open regardless of setting on the ring. The camera adjust exposure by setting shutter speed.

From manual:

The apeture remains open regardless of the aperture ring position. The shutter speed changes in relation to the open aperture but an exposure error may occur. In the viewfinder, [F--] appears for aperture indicator.

Hope this helps

astro
09-19-2005, 06:33 PM
I asked on photo.net and I got the answer.

Thanks for the replies guys.

My camera actually isn't defective. The M lenses doesn't work in Av mode, only in Manual mode as I described. To get metering in manual mode, I need to press the AE-L button. So it's basically just like Av mode if I hold onto the AE-L button, and the M lenses work. It'll stop down properly when the shutter is released.

rjromero10
09-22-2005, 09:49 AM
I asked on photo.net and I got the answer.

Thanks for the replies guys.

My camera actually isn't defective. The M lenses doesn't work in Av mode, only in Manual mode as I described. To get metering in manual mode, I need to press the AE-L button. So it's basically just like Av mode if I hold onto the AE-L button, and the M lenses work. It'll stop down properly when the shutter is released.

Hey Astor, Thanks for the info. I tried it works great