PDA

View Full Version : New Olympus Cameras - Thoughts

Rex914
08-29-2005, 05:29 PM
I'm rather disappointed at the new Olympus cameras, but given Olympus' current trend, it comes as no surprise to me. All they have done in general is "megapixel updates" and (low res) screen enlargements to their entry level cameras. The only feature that came as a slight surprise was the inclusion of RAW for their 2 new SP compacts.

Even their "flagship" camera, the SP-500 is essentially a C-765 with more megapixels and a larger LCD (which has very low resolution). The lens specs are identical, and the camera still lacks IS when all the competition except for Fuji has it. It may be no coincidence that Fuji is also the only other supporter of the "proprietary" xD format. It may be relatively cheap for the specs, but let's not forget that Kodak of all companies has already offered a strong contender in this price range for the past year.

Does anyone else think that Olympus is doing a lot more following these days rather than leading? Oly used to be at the forefront of the industry with dynamite products like the 2000Z and 3030Z, but they've succumbed to the whole megapixel wars and large LCD's strategy now. Where has the innovation gone?

Jeff Keller
08-30-2005, 12:00 AM
I really wanted to sneak a comment into the news today... "Hey Olympus, Nikon just called, and they want their cameras back".

Seriously, the FE-100 and 110 look like the Coolpix 4600. The SP-310 and 350 look like the Coolpix 7900. The SP-500 is very reminiscent of the Kodak Z7590.

Olympus wins the award for most uninspiring products of the year, with Pentax and Sony close behind.

joeru
08-30-2005, 07:04 AM
The SP-310/350 actually looks pretty good. It is the smallest, lightest Olympus camera that takes RAW (smaller than the C-7000), the 350 can take an external flash, it is light (under 200g) and pretty small. If the image quality is good, I think these could be good values and would also make a nice pocket/travel camera for a DSLR user.

My guess is that the higher end Olympus cameras will be announced at a later date. There was nothing at the high end.

- Joe

Macker
09-09-2005, 11:57 PM
Considering that my C-3040Z is now approaching 4 years of age, I'm looking at a new camera, and I definitely want to check out the SP-350. But I do have a couple of questions for Olympus:

1) Do these cameras support the RM-1 remote?
2) Can filters be put on these, given the use of (I think) the CLA-9?

I would also like to see what Oly comes up with for higher-end stuff too.