PDA

View Full Version : Question about night time shooting

coldteablues
08-28-2005, 12:03 PM
Hello, I am new here. I'm from soutwestern IN and purchased a DX7590 in Feb. after having owned and used 2 Olypus digis previously. I am quite comfortable with the Kodak and love the ease in learning the camera. I use it on a daily basis and am very happy with results EXCEPT when it comes to nighttime or low light shooting situations. I have read the manual several times and have played around with different settings and suggestions but have yet to have real success when shooting at night. I bought the camera for the sole purpose of concert photos which I haven't had a chance to try out yet and am concerned that I'll not have much luck.

I recently read somewhere on this forum to set the camera to A, the f to 3.6, and the ISO to 200, and to leave it there. Indoor shots within my apartment turned out great, but I'm still having problems at night.

Perhaps a smaller f-stop and larger ISO for night time?

Do any of you have any more suggestions or tips?

Thanks,
Cher

tim11
08-28-2005, 04:06 PM
.........when it comes to nighttime or low light shooting situations. I have read the manual several times and have played around with different settings and suggestions but have yet to have real success when shooting at night. .......
.................. but I'm still having problems at night.
What sort of problems? Explain a bit more? The pic turned out blurry? etc?

coldteablues
08-28-2005, 06:58 PM
Yes, sometimes blurry, lots of 'noise' and many times way too dark. I don't remember having such problems with my Olympus digis. However, I really like the Kodak, so I keep trying. I've tried night scenes, manual settings and believe that I just don't have the understanding of f-stops, shutter speed, etc. Maybe I should enroll in a photography class at the uni where I work.

Thanks in advance for any tips or help.

Cher

tim11
08-28-2005, 09:26 PM
I don't have Kodak DX7590 or Olympus but your questions are basics in photography regardless of what camera you use. If you can afford time for a course, why not? If not, buy a digital photography book; they are not expensive. It's better to understand what you are doing rather than hit and miss in the dark.
When you said AT NIGHT, I guess you mean without flash? You should also check the flash range of the DX, I doubt it goes more than 10 feet on ISO100. So if the subject is beyond the flash range, don't even put it on; you will only waste camera battery.
In an average house with average camera [without using flash], you need a slow shutter speed to get a good photo. Of course higher ISO you will have grainy pictures.
The lower the f-stop number the wider the aparture opens and this will alow in more light to hit the sensor. But if you were using Aparture Priority mode, which is still sort of semi-auto, the camera will have the final decision on what should be the ideal exposure for you. As a result, the camera with choose a slower shutter speed with will in turn result in blurry photo if you don't use a tripod.
Is that clear? hmm....... OK, give me a more specific problem and I try to explain better.