View Full Version : Different exposure for the 3 photos in RAW multiframe mode

queviko
08-28-2005, 05:50 AM
Hi All,

I bought in Singapore a

- D70s kit 18-70mm
- 50mm 1.4 lens
- 70-300mm lens

Last week during a museum visit, with no flash allowed, I've used my 50mm 1.4 - After a while I felt that my camera had some difficulty to focus.

I didn't worry as the light conditions were difficult. I was mainly using my lens in 1.4 aperture.

Suddenly the "Err" message appeared. I remove the lens, and put it back... nothing... no way to get it work anymore.

I removed the lens again and saw that the mirror was locked up. I tried another lens, then the mirror (I eared) went back to good position. But taking pictures again, the first 5 were almost completely dark.

After 10-15 pictures, the exposure looks good as it should.

But, since then (I'm not even sure this is linked anyway), when I shoot in JPG, everything looks fine (seems to be, maybe because the time between pictures are quite slow compare to RAW)

The problem comes when I shoot in RAW !

The buffer allow 3 shoots in 1 second. The first seems OK, the second is dark, and the third is darker than the first but better than the second.

I don't remember how it was before, but I'm guessing the 3 pictures having the same setup (ISO, speed & aperture, etc) should be the same...

I've tried everything I've seen on the web, remove the battery for 24hours, clean lenses contacts, reset buttons, making sure the manual aperture setup of my lenses are in max f/aperture number, etc... nothing is changing. RAW seems an issue now. And this, what ever the lens I'm using...

Even now, I'm not sure that JPG are really correct. Maybe the speed of the shutter is the issue... that is maybe why only the first is good. But is it really? Does the camera really shoot at 1/60 or maybe 1/58 as it seems having speed issues...

I don't know what I can do... I'm really sad as I love my D70s... I'm so depressed, I just bought it since 2 months, and already having issues !!!!!

My second problem is that I bought it when I was working in Singapore for my company and went back in Europe. As the support/warranty is not working here, I can't imagine to survive without my camera for more than 3 weeks ! :-(, and what would be the cost?????

Please help, what can I do? Did you eared about such issue before? Is there a way to fix it without using repair services? If not... what would be the best for me?

Please find a copy of series of 3 pictures in RAW mode at this address in order to illustrate my issue (pictures were not modified appart from their size to 1024x681)

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/queviko/album?.dir=/94a0&.src=ph&.tok=phgmEiDBNgZlzkg

Thanks all in advance for your great help,

Queviko

badgerjh
09-02-2005, 12:11 AM
They dont seem to be that bad.... you have experimented at different exposures but I see the main problem is the bright background messing with the meter. get rid of that and play with some faster shutter speeds and f-stops unless you have no light on the subject at all...they say put the subject next to a window with natural light coming in maybe add some creative shadows who know what youll come up with!

thesween
09-02-2005, 03:55 PM
Have you tried the reset button on the bottom of the camera? Just a long shot, but it might be a bracketing issue with the exposure, more like bracketing gone bad. Good luck...

queviko
09-03-2005, 09:58 AM
Thanks all for your replies.

It is true that the pictures are not so bad but the thing is that by default I expecting to have all 3 pictures having exactly the same exposition...

Same settings, same position, same time, same everything.

In some cases, the second picture is really dark, almost back... I don't feel this is really normal.

More than this, I use the AE Lock button between the 3 pictures... so should not see any change in exposure.

What do you think?

Queviko