PDA

View Full Version : Megapixel Fever

Treasuredude
09-22-2004, 05:02 PM
I am searching for a new camera. I am currently using a 2 megapixel Kodak DC280 that I bought back in 2000.

I have been looking at numerous 5 megapixel cameras (A95, DSCV1, and others). I am a bit worried about the PF problems on the A95 and have reservations about the Sony as well.

A friend who is "into" photography has suggested to me that I don't need 5 or more megapixels for what I am doing. I was hoping to get input from others.

I mainly take outdoor shots with some indoor snapshots thrown in. I would like to get into macro work. I very rarely print the photos. If I do, it's never larger than 8x10. I look at them on the computer and will put together a series of photos and burn them to disk to look at on a DVD player and TV.

So what's the diagnosis? Do I have megapixel fever? Any suggestions on what cameras I should be looking at?

John_Reed
09-22-2004, 05:20 PM
A friend who is "into" photography has suggested to me that I don't need 5 or more megapixels for what I am doing. I was hoping to get input from others.To create an 8X10 print, you really don't need more than 2MP. That said, it's a nice luxury to have more than that, so that you'll have room for cropping the image for better composition before printing. Now I found with my 2MP Panasonic DMC-FZ1, that because it had such a long zoom, and a stabilized lens that was fast and sharp over the whole zoom range, that I did a lot of "cropping in the camera," using the zoom control for adjusting composition, such that I didn't feel the need for much cropping of the image before printing or showing on the Web. If you're looking for camera recommendations, the Panasonic Lumix line has the "venerable" 4MP FZ10, and has recently added a 3MP FZ3, 4MP FZ15, and 5MP FZ20, all of them with a 12X Leica stabilized lens, and the latter two having a nice manual focus ring on the front. All of these cameras are excellent at both outdoor and indoor photography.