PDA

View Full Version : Help with the istds recommendation, this price.

mike62
08-26-2005, 01:19 PM
Sam's has the above camera for $818.00 with a 18-55mm and 1GB Lexar SD card. First of all is this a pretty good price?

Second, I am coming from a point and shoot Minolta. My pics are children, vacation, and outdoor stuff. I will definately want a more powerful zoom down the road. The info says it has a 12x zoom display. Is this an optical zoom equivlent to like the Sony H1, Panasonic FZ5, and those high zooms?

Is the LCD strictly for reviewing the image or can it be used to frame with like the point and shoots?

Finally, does it have an auto focus feature like I have been use to?

Seems like a good price for an amateur like me who has little expertise but wants a nice camera in a dslr. Am I giving up anything with this camera versus a Rebel for instance?

Thanks.

astro
08-27-2005, 01:51 AM
If you want a nice dSLR, such as the *ist DS, do the camera some justice and don't get the cheap zooms.
A great lens to start out with is the 50mm F/1.4. There's a great deal on it now on B&H now for only $200. It normally cost $300.
These lens will blow ANYTHING away in terms of sharpness and image quality. The difference is really like night and day. If you get a cheap zoom, you'll be wondering why people buy dSLRs as the image quality will be similar to a quality P&S.

The *ist DS body only costs around $560 shipped with no tax from www.buydig.com . I opted for the $5 shipping option, got it the next day!!
$560 body + $200 for lens + $130 for Apacer 2GB 150x SD card = $890.

The 12x zoom display you see means you can zoom in 12x during playback mode. The kit lens will give you around 2x zoom.

If you want a nice, powerful zoom, look into the old takumar 300mm lenses. They will blow away those slow cheap plastic zooms. I got one for $105 on ebay. Check out my thread.

rjromero10
08-30-2005, 11:18 AM
I agree with Astro, BuyDig is the best price for this camera. It takes great pictures. For your questions, You can't view through the LCD to take a picture. The viewfinder looks through the lens which is much better than an EVF found on the point and shoots. Yes the camera has autofocus. The kit lens is not bad, although I would also recommend buying a good quality lens at sometime in the future. As for the SD card, newegg.com has the patriot xtreme for a good price. The camera also uses AA batteries which is nice. You can buy rechargeble NiMh batteries for cheap. The zoom on those P&S are around 300mm. The Pentax kit lens is only 55mm with crop from camera about 80mm.(1.5 x 55mm). A 300mm zoom lens will give you a 450mm equiv. This camera has a lot of features, just like the Rebel.

Ishkabibble
08-30-2005, 02:04 PM
The 12X zoom is only for review of your images. No entry level dSLR that I know of comes standard with a high-powered zoom.

My purposes are the same as yours. I have three children and regularily take family photographs, pictures of coins, scenics, and night photography. I tried many point-and-shoots, but got hooked on the image quality of dSLR. Still there are specifics about this camera that may be deciding factors for you.

1. I HATE taking pictures of my children with a flash, as it generally spoils the activity I am shooting. This camera supports modes up to ISO 3200, so I almost never find myself needing the flash indoors.
2. The image quality of this camera is unmatched by ANY prosumer point-and-shoot.
3. With the kit lens and a 28-300mm Ultra Zoom (I got mine, a discontinued Sigma, for $300Cdn), this camera takes exceptional pictures in almost every situation.
4. You will have to learn how to actually take pictures. Many modes are manual... results are superior to any automated mode if you know what you are doing. The automatic mode is a functional choice for quick shots but not infallible.
5. You will not have a digital preview or movie mode.
6. The size of your camera will be large in comparison to the Prosumer digicams.
7. Your camera will turn heads. This is fun, but can be awkward when you are trying to photograph social events or unwhitting subjects.
8. You will be previewing images through an optical viewfinder. This is great for 99% of the times, but awkward when you are in exceptionally low-light situations since there is no gain up on optical displays.
9. Your camera will have a totally different feel than Prosumer. Some like it, some don't.
10. You will have an actual shutter, so you will have actual shutter noise. This cannot be turned off, so there is no stealth ability with this camera.
11. The combination of this camera and a creatively produced nametag will permit you access to all sorts of places others can't go. ;)

I recommend you ensure your seller has a generous return policy, then try it. Only do yourself a favor and try both this camera and an Ultrazoom lens. I don't think you can objectively compare it to a prosumer ultrazoom unless you see how it performs with the ultrazoom.

One thing you might also consider is purchasing a small 2-4MP camera to complement your dSLR. There are rare times when a dSLR is just not the right tool, like in a bar scene, or perhaps at a carnival.

Best of luck with your decison.

Spot focus
09-07-2005, 11:32 PM
Sam's has the above camera for $818.00 with a 18-55mm and 1GB Lexar SD card. First of all is this a pretty good price?

Second, I am coming from a point and shoot Minolta. My pics are children, vacation, and outdoor stuff. I will definately want a more powerful zoom down the road. The info says it has a 12x zoom display. Is this an optical zoom equivlent to like the Sony H1, Panasonic FZ5, and those high zooms?

Is the LCD strictly for reviewing the image or can it be used to frame with like the point and shoots?

Finally, does it have an auto focus feature like I have been use to?

Seems like a good price for an amateur like me who has little expertise but wants a nice camera in a dslr. Am I giving up anything with this camera versus a Rebel for instance?

Thanks.

ist DS has auto focus with settings of auto, mutipoint set 1 of 11 points or spot focus and depending on mode used can be set with half press or continuous as you pan

tadah
09-09-2005, 07:16 PM
i don't know what buydig's price is right now, but at 17photo.com you get the body & a free slr bag for $560. (not including shipping)

joelw135
09-13-2005, 07:48 AM
I paid $642 with the kit lens at Willoighby's.