PDA

View Full Version : Recommended Macro Lense for D70

convergent
09-22-2004, 03:40 PM
I need a good macro lense for my "soon to arrive" D70. I take pictures of PDAs and Phones for online reviews and need to get very good and up close pictures. I haven't ruled out that the kit lense will do it, but I wouldn't mind picking up a good fixed lense for this. I will use it only for that purpose. I also need to set up an informal studio for this purpose as well. I've never done that before, and just rely on the recessed lighting in my office which always gives glare. What can I do to setup a small studio bench to take pictures of this stuff. I'll plan to tripod mount the D70? Thanks.

marco
05-24-2005, 09:33 PM
I have a near new/mint 60mm macro Nikkor, which is superb. I am saving for a new zoom and wouldn't mind selling it if your interested.

send me a pm if so.

TheObiJuan
05-24-2005, 09:41 PM
make a 1.5' x 1.5' 1" PVC box frame and put a white sheet arount the top and sides. For the bottom use white butcher paper. Put the camera on a small tripod and some lights outside of the box. This will give you soft white light and allow for no reflections and some great looking pics.

pr1970
05-25-2005, 07:12 AM
I have this lens, really am impressed with it. Very sharp/fast lens. feels well made. Being a 90mm means that you dont have to get right up close to what your shooting.

heres a link to it http://www.tamron.com/lenses/prod/90mm.asp

comes at a reasonable price aswell.

Paul

Warin
05-25-2005, 11:54 AM
I would recommend either the 60mm or 105mm Micro Nikkor lenses.

I've used the 105mm on my F80, and it is beautiful. I havent tried it (I'd have to borrow it again) on a D70, but I cant imagine it being anything less than stellar. The only problem I can see is that the 1.5 crop factor might make it difficult to get far enough back in a smallish office setting.

Are you on a limited budget? If you aren't, Interfit lighting makes a table top studio that is perfect for photography of small objects.

http://www.patersonphoto.co.uk/lighting/tabletop.html

TheObiJuan
05-25-2005, 12:25 PM
What about the Sigma 150mm f/2.8?
It ain't a bad lens. A friend has one and loves it.

sarcazmo
05-27-2005, 11:30 PM
Tamron 90mm XR/Di. Got to play with one a bit over last weekend on a friend's D100.

Incredible lens, highly recommended!

Check out some other forums too, this piece of glass pretty much recieves universal praise.