PDA

View Full Version : Nikon d70 Dark Images

alvin41
07-09-2004, 03:29 PM
I bought a D70 3 weeks ago and took many images. I was very impressed with the camera. However, I found that the camera underexposed most of the images, even on Auto. The images almost all looked dark and dull and in some cases could not be corrected in photoshop. It seems to me that out of the box the camera should give very good results on Auto in normal situations of lighting. I ended up sending the camera back to the dealer, assuming that it may have been defective.

I took many images side by side with my Canon G5 and found the G5 images were almost always perfectly exposed.

I also used some of my other Nikon lenses (105 mirco nikkor) to make images and got the same results.

I would like to try another D70, but would like to be happy with the images. I would appreciate any comments.

D70FAN
07-09-2004, 06:09 PM
The D70 has a tendancy to be a little conservative on the exposure side, by maybe 1EV. But your problem sounds like an extreme underexposure, so it may have been the camera. with minor underexposure you should be able to revcover perfectly in Photoshop Levels.

Try it in a store this time.

tksuther
07-11-2004, 06:17 PM
Try +0.3 EV and/or a custom tone curve. The D70 is known for underexposure - intentionally so to avoid blowing out highlights. It takes a while to understand how the D70 "thinks" but the control it offers is exceptional. The metering system is second to none. I really enjoy using mine - I'm learning something new all the time! Good Luck!

alvin41
07-12-2004, 05:18 PM
Thanks for the responses. They are helpful. However, it is still a mystery to me why the manufacturer would require maniplation of images taken on Auto. Especially considering the sophisticated metering, etc.

I have had Nikon film cameras for years, and I guess I'm used to getting "correct" exposures when the camera is adjusted correctly.

D70FAN
07-19-2004, 04:30 PM
Thanks for the responses. They are helpful. However, it is still a mystery to me why the manufacturer would require maniplation of images taken on Auto. Especially considering the sophisticated metering, etc.

I have had Nikon film cameras for years, and I guess I'm used to getting "correct" exposures when the camera is adjusted correctly.

If you underexpose slightly on a digital picture the information can be recovered, but overexposure yields no data.

In most cases the pictures you take in auto should turn out right. But to insure good shots 99% of the time, a good rule of thumb with the D70 is +0.3 EV as the normal setting. Consider it a "conservative quirk".

D70camguy
07-12-2005, 07:11 PM
I had a lot of trouble wiith this until I started really looking at the histogram information and highlights after each shot. I find I almost always want to apply +0.3 to +0.7 EV to push the curve to the right. It seems to come out about right when I see a few highlights flashing (but not too many). If you really want to preserve the detail, it is better to shoot dark and post-process to brighten with a curve that keeps both your highlights and shadow details rather than boosting linearly across the whole range. I was used to a Canon that gives bright saturated images right out of the box but I find you can set the D70 up to work that way if you shoot with mode IIIa, Optimize Vivid, and exp comp at +0.7.

TheObiJuan
07-12-2005, 10:32 PM
Post an example with exif in tact. Perhaps EV was changed to -2 on accident?

bjj1980
07-27-2005, 11:08 PM
The D70 ALWAYS underexposes shots...but that is a very GOOD thing. In summary, it protects you from blowing out highlights (which you can't recover). Do yourself a big favor. Buy Nikon Capture and ONLY shoot in the RAW (.NEF) format. Within seconds you'll find yourself automatically correcting the exposure in Nikon Capture and creating perfect JPEGs for printing. Also, buy Thom Hogan's ebook on the D70 for detailed information about the D70's purposeful underexposure of shots. If you insist on shooting only JPEGs, learn to do some 3 exposure bracketing (normal, -.33, +.33) and keep the best exposed shot.