PDA

View Full Version : how many pictures to a gigabyte??

bonbon52
08-24-2005, 07:12 PM
I have ordered an olympus c7070 camera. I also ordered a 1 g. compact flash card. How many picutures is that going to get me? what is the best resolution to use to get the most pictures and still retain high quality photographs?

Chucko
08-24-2005, 10:31 PM
That's a hard one to answer, because it depends so much on what size images, whether you use high or low compression rates (or raw), the level of detail in the image itself...

For a point of reference, I can get roughly 125-150 raw pictures on my Brand C 6 MP DSLR onto a gig. For another point of reference, my Olympus C-5500 (which only stores in JPEG) went with me on a week's vacation and I didn't even begin to fill up half a gig.

I'd guess a gig should be plenty for now. It wouldn't hurt to have another (maybe smaller) card around for emergency use though. Compact Flash is cheap and widely available.

Geoff Chandler
08-25-2005, 12:56 AM
I would imagine that at 7mp or 5mp on the lower quality setting JPG should be fine. My little C-740 is used at 3mp - but not top quality as the difference is so slight but the space saving is big.
On my KM-a200 it has 3 jpg quality settings at each size - so I plump for the middle setting at either 5 or 8mp
The camera should display how many it will give you - try changing the sttings with an empt card and jot down the figures.
I would go for 7mp JPG at the lower of the two (I think it's 2) settings.
Geoff

citizen_d
08-25-2005, 11:13 PM
I have a C7070 and a 1gig CF card - the monitor actually tells you roughly how many photos you have left depending on the quality. I believe I have mine set on SHQ (JPEG but low compression) and I'm pretty sure it said 640 shots were available for me with a blank card. Not sure if that figure auto adjusts for a mix of compression types and movies.

Cheers,

D

SamPhilly
08-26-2005, 06:44 AM
I have an Oly 770, and I get 366 on SHQ with one Gb.