PDA

View Full Version : Another soon to be D70 owner!

convergent
09-22-2004, 02:22 PM
This is my first post here. I just ordered a D70 from RitzCamera on a pricematch getting it for $1142.60 with the kit lense. After ordering the camera, the second thing I did was went looking for a good vBulletin based forum to join. Why are so many big camera sites running those other forum scripts... ugh.... (sorry about the soap box).

I am coming from a Nikon only past... ;)

Started with an FG and a couple of lenses years ago, then sold all of that and went to a 6006, 35-70, and 70-210. About 9 months ago I picked up a Coolpix 4300 to use primarily for photos of items that I review (so I was interested in its excellent macro capabilities). I've been disappointed with it as an everyday camera, however. It seems slow to go from mode to mode, and I don't really like framing pictures in the LCD. My wife never even tried to use it. She takes most of our pictures, and all with the 6006.

A few days ago I asked her if she would use a digital camera more if it were like the 6006, and she said yes. So, off I went doing some research. I had seen the Canon Digital Rebel, and thought is was a pretty nice package. Ironically, when I bought the 6006, I was debating the original Rebel which had just came out. In the end, I went with Nikon. This time around, I did the same look-see. It didn't hurt that I had compatibility with the stuff I already have, but quite honestly I can sell the stuff for a pretty penny on eBay... so that wasn't a complete deal maker.

After reading some reviews and playing with the cameras in the store, I stayed with Nikon. I ordered a 1GB 80x memory card with it and will just start with that. I still plan to get a flash... and I'll be deciding whether to keep the 70-210D that I have, or selling it and getting something better.

Can't wait until Friday when it all arrives! :)

Chip00
09-23-2004, 02:54 PM
Sounds like a very good price.
What is a "price match"?

By the way I have similar cameras in my background.

D70FAN
09-23-2004, 04:39 PM
This is my first post here. I just ordered a D70 from RitzCamera on a pricematch getting it for $1142.60 with the kit lense. After ordering the camera, the second thing I did was went looking for a good vBulletin based forum to join. Why are so many big camera sites running those other forum scripts... ugh.... (sorry about the soap box).

I am coming from a Nikon only past... ;)

Started with an FG and a couple of lenses years ago, then sold all of that and went to a 6006, 35-70, and 70-210. About 9 months ago I picked up a Coolpix 4300 to use primarily for photos of items that I review (so I was interested in its excellent macro capabilities). I've been disappointed with it as an everyday camera, however. It seems slow to go from mode to mode, and I don't really like framing pictures in the LCD. My wife never even tried to use it. She takes most of our pictures, and all with the 6006.

A few days ago I asked her if she would use a digital camera more if it were like the 6006, and she said yes. So, off I went doing some research. I had seen the Canon Digital Rebel, and thought is was a pretty nice package. Ironically, when I bought the 6006, I was debating the original Rebel which had just came out. In the end, I went with Nikon. This time around, I did the same look-see. It didn't hurt that I had compatibility with the stuff I already have, but quite honestly I can sell the stuff for a pretty penny on eBay... so that wasn't a complete deal maker.

After reading some reviews and playing with the cameras in the store, I stayed with Nikon. I ordered a 1GB 80x memory card with it and will just start with that. I still plan to get a flash... and I'll be deciding whether to keep the 70-210D that I have, or selling it and getting something better.

Can't wait until Friday when it all arrives! :)

Welcome to the DCRP, and a small group of D70 owners. I originally went with the kit lens as well, but have since changed over to the Sigma 18-125 DC as my day-to-day choice (that extra 55mm makes a big difference).

Try that Nikkor 70-210 AF D first, as it may be a keeper. I bought a low cost 70-300 AF G which works ok in most situations, but plan to replace it with the Sigma 50-500 as soon as I can convince the CFO to part with $900. It could be a while.

Anyway, I think you will be pleased with you choice, and the 80X card will make a big difference when you decide to shoot continuous. :D