PDA

View Full Version : PowerShot A80 CF-PC-CF Transfer

dcvte
09-22-2004, 05:47 AM
I recently bought a PowerShot A80, having been comparatively unimpressed by the image quality from the A95. I don't have a card reader for my PC, so does anybody know, please...

Is there any software, or 3rd party drivers, for Windows 2000 which enable you to access the CF card directly from the camera as if it were another drive on the PC?

The Canon TWAIN driver is useless (slow transfer, download only, save one image at a time). I am surprised to see such poor transfer support, when my inferior Nikon Coolpix 2100 connects as a plug-n-play removable drive, no drivers required! You can use the camera just like an external card reader.

I want to be able to download the photos to my PC for storage, but I also want to be able to upload them back into the camera at a later time, so I can show them to family/friends via their TVs.

Thank you for any advice!

Homer's Brain
09-22-2004, 08:31 PM
yea I'd like to access the camera as a drive as well. I have a card reader in my computer though, but it would be nice to access the camera that way.

What kind of images are you unhappy with? Most of my pictures have been pretty good for me. Some of the shots are kind of noisy, but I think it's mostly me hehe

Billiam
09-22-2004, 11:00 PM
I believe that your answer is no, Canon does not configure their cameras to allow them to act as drives.

Time to get a card reader. I got one from Fry's on a closeout, reads CF/Microdrive, SD, MMC, SM, and Memory stick for $4.99. Works fine (though only at USB 1 speed, not USB 2.0).

dcvte
09-29-2004, 02:24 AM
What kind of images are you unhappy with? Most of my pictures have been pretty good for me. Some of the shots are kind of noisy, but I think it's mostly me hehe

The A95 image quality issues are mentioned in:
http://www.dcresource.com/forums/showthread.php?t=881

I figure that since the CCD area is the same on the 5MP A95 as the 4MP A80, the A80 must capture more light per pixel, making it better in low light situations, hence showing less noise (unless the A95 CCD is better quality, etc).

Matthijs
10-11-2004, 06:08 AM
I do download pictures from my computer directly to my A80. Look in Zoombrowser in the "Camera & Memory card" menu, it's there under "upload images".