PDA

View Full Version : E18

NewtoDigiCam
09-22-2004, 05:29 AM
What is with this E18 error that I read in reviews from Canon users. I am planing to buy A85/A95 or S410/S500. Is E18 real thing ? Is there any solution to it ?

Homer's Brain
09-22-2004, 08:27 PM
I had an A20 for years before buying the A95, and I had two friends that had a Canon A60 and another that had an A70. Two of them got E18 errors after about a year or so. They both bought them at BestBuy and got an extended replacement warranty, so they just upgraded to A80's.

From what I've read, and seen with my own camera when the salesperson put the wrong tube adapter on the camera, is that the E18 error occurs when the lens mechanism gets dirty and the camera sees a resistance in the motor, it will give that error. Somewhere I saw a how-to on disassembling the camera and cleaning out the drive. Not much else was found when I search for E18, but when the guy at Epperson put the wrong tube adapter and turned on my camera to find the lens hit the back of the macro lens and get jammed, it returned an E18 error. So it sounds like the dirty housing or when the mechanism has a lot of resistance is the culprit.

Interesting thing is the two guys that had the A60 and A70, they were very Outdoorsy people and would lash the camera to their bags, they got dirty all the time (once he brought me one and it had dirt in the lens!)...so the dirty thing may not be far off, no matter how much they deny it.

NewtoDigiCam
09-23-2004, 05:27 AM
Thanks a lot. I think majority of people do not have problem. I see camera life about four years, after that current camera will be like absolute compare to new ones.
I guess if I buy warrenty, then it will be ok.

Thanks.