PDA

View Full Version : Nikon D200 - Full Specs

Rex914
08-20-2005, 09:51 PM
These aren't final, but these are REAL specs from the Nikon site. They were removed promptly. As usual, these are subject to change.

A Quick Glance

- 12.4 Megapixel CMOS sensor (same as D2X)
- 3 FPS @ 12.4 MP (10 frames) or 5 FPS @ 6.8 (18 frames)
- 9 point AF
- ISO 100-800
- 2.5" LCD (235k pixels)
- Magnesium body and takes a grip (yay!)
- As a result of the CMOS sensor, only 1/250 s flash sync speed. :mad:
- Dimensions: 6.2 x 4.8 x 3.4 in.
- Weight (empty): 810g (1 lb 13 oz)
- Obviously no word on pricing or availability!
- Speculation - Announced in November, ships in December

Specifications

Effective pixels
12.4 million

Image sensor
CMOS sensor, 23.7 x 15.7mm size, 12.84 million total pixels

Image size
Full Image: [L] 4,288 x 2,848-pixel / [M] 3,216 x 2,136-pixel /
[S] 2,144 x 1,424-pixel

High Speed Crop Image: [L] 3,216 x 2,136-pixel / [M] 2,400 x 1,600-pixel /
[S] 1,600 x 1,064-pixel

Sensitivity
ISO equivalency 100 to 800 (?)

Storage media
CompactFlash (CF) Card (Type I/II) and Microdrive

LCD monitor
2.5-in., 235,000-dot, low-temp. polysilicon TFT LCD with white LED backlighting

Exposure metering
3D Color Matrix Metering II , Center-Weighted Metering and Spot Metering

Exposure Modes
Programmed Auto (Flexible Program possible) [P], Shutter-Priority Auto [A], Aperture-Priority Auto [A] and Manual [M]

Interface
USB 2.0 (Hi-Speed)

Power requirements
Rechargeable Li-ion Battery EN-EL3a, Quick Charger MH-18a, AC Adapter EH-5 (optional), Multi-Function Battery Pack MB-D200 (optional)

Dimensions (W x H x D)
Approx. 157.5 x 121 x 85.5mm (6.2 x 4.8 x 3.4 in.)

Weight
Approx. 810g (1 lb 13 oz) without battery and storage media

Main Features

DX Format with 12.4 effective megapixels
The new CMOS image sensor features high image quality and high-speed 4-channel data output
New image processing algorithms combine with optimized analog and digital white balance to produce smoother, more consistent gradations with exceptionally pure color reproduction
Continuous shooting: 3 frames per second (fps) at 12.4 megapixels for up to 10 consecutive NEF (Nikon Electronic Format) images; 5 fps for 18 NEF images at 6.8 megapixels
3D-Color Matrix Metering II with ambient light sensor and 1,005-pixel RGB sensor further improves on Nikonís acclaimed exposure metering system
High-speed, high-precision 11-area AF system with 9 cross-type AF sensors deliver quick response and sharp focus, even under the most challenging shooting conditions
Two new Adobe RGB color modes further expand professional color space options and also support for sYCC color space
Excellent response with instant power-up and ultra-fast 52ms shutter release lag
Top shutter speed of 1/8,000 second and flash sync speeds up to 1/250 second
Faster read/write speed for the memory card and a USB 2.0 Hi-Speed interface for faster image transfer
Large 2.5-inch LCD monitor for easy access to settings and information, as well as clear, flicker-free image preview
Creative in-camera effects, Image Overlay and Multiple Exposure
Functions such as World Time, automatic rotation of vertical compositions expand possibilities
Lightweight, durable magnesium body
Full support for Nikon's Creative Lighting System when used with the SB-800 or SB-600 Speedlights
In addition to DX Nikkor lenses, the D200 supports more than 50 AF Nikkor lenses
Nikonís PictureProject software is included, enabling easy control over image adjustment and management
Support for Nikon Capture 4 (version 4.3), a software application with the tools to assist the professional photographer
NEF (RAW) format for the utmost in versatile, effective image control and correction
JPEG and NEF (RAW) Combination Filing System enables simultaneous recording of NEF and JPEG data for the same shot

Nick
08-28-2005, 06:18 PM
Have I been away or something :eek: Coming back from a long-term offline vacation, a lot seems to have happened and the fact that Nikon is about to release some exciting stuff even more to stomach. One question prior anything, however, is this or is this not not Nikon's answer to the FF 5D, right? I haven't been around so I'm not aware of who is out with what, but this is what I stumbled upon first. Canon does seem to cater on-demand while Nikon appears to very consistent in quality, slow and steady does it.

Being a very happy D70 user who just passed 67k clicks and two summers with it, I can't say I'm as excited as I was when the D70 came out, then again, I feel as though the D70 was a true pioneer and was/is one of a kind. I think I'd rather have 200-1600 range then 100-800 as a lot of the things that I shoot are dimly lit bar/night time photographs & portraits with 50mm f/1.4 and ISO 1000 and above is tremendously useful.

I wonder if there will be a revolutionary D90 sometime soon.

kornhauser
08-28-2005, 06:54 PM
Just been on a web-site when I typed in Nikon D200. Got this picture and the "review" that it's actually a altered picture of a Fuji S3. Still got me excited though...

But alas, it's fake. As is the rumor. Let's help let it die.

Nick
08-28-2005, 06:57 PM
Well, you never really quite know until it arrives; many people thought the EOS 5D was an elaborate hoax, and yet, behold; Canon announces it. It would be a little strange if this was true, but I wouldn't be in the least bit surprised.

The little red grip strip on the camera is a dead give-away, given that I never saw the S3 before.

D70FAN
08-28-2005, 08:45 PM
These aren't final, but these are REAL specs from the Nikon site. They were removed promptly.

I'm liking the camera except for the 100-800 ISO range which seems odd to me. That's a tradeoff from the previous 200-1600 ISO. It looks to be some good competition for the Canon 20/30D, but the price is the pivotal spec for this otherwise impressive camera. If it's really a D2X "lite," it's going to cost an arm and a leg, at least $2000, putting it above the Canon 20D but still in the prosumer market.

A Quick Glance

- 12.4 Megapixel CMOS sensor (same as D2X)
- 3 FPS @ 12.4 MP (10 frames) or 5 FPS @ 6.8 (18 frames)
- 9 point AF
- ISO 100-800
- 2.5" LCD (235k pixels)
- Magnesium body and takes a grip (yay!)
- As a result of the CMOS sensor, only 1/250 s flash sync speed. :mad:
- Dimensions: 6.2 x 4.8 x 3.4 in.
- Weight (empty): 810g (1 lb 13 oz)
- Obviously no word on pricing or availability!

[/list]

If this sensor has the same dynamic range as the D2X, we may not care about ISO1600. There are ways to get to ISO1600 equivalent without an official setting.

Of the professional photographers that I know, none use ISO 1600 for their bread-and-butter shots, so it may be a moot point. Their arsenals include some very fast (and expensive) lenses just as they did with film.

If the D200 comes in under $2000 I may be divorced by this time next year. ;)

Canon...5D... 12MP Full-Frame...$3299...point!

Nikon... 200D... 12MP/6.8MP HS+2X Crop... $2199(?)... Big Counterpoint!

Rex914
08-28-2005, 09:06 PM
I doubt this is a hoax because this appeared on Nikon's website for some time, just like how the 5D appeared on Canon's site before it was promptly removed. At worst, we still know a D200 is coming. And at best, we know a lot about the camera from these specs, short of seeing it for real.

I am hoping to see this sold at around the $2000 price point, but you never know what's going to really happen. Indications point to more, but anything can happen.

TheObiJuan
08-28-2005, 10:31 PM
If this sensor has the same dynamic range as the D2X, we may not care about ISO1600. There are ways to get to ISO1600 equivalent without an official setting.

Of the professional photographers that I know, none use ISO 1600 for their bread-and-butter shots, so it may be a moot point. Their arsenals include some very fast (and expensive) lenses just as they did with film.

If the D200 comes in under $2000 I may be divorced by this time next year. ;)

Canon...5D... 12MP Full-Frame...$3299...point!

Nikon... 200D... 12MP/6.8MP HS+2X Crop... $2199(?)... Big Counterpoint!

Isn't the 'NEED' for FF so great. With the 20D you can use a 10mm lens so I see no reason for FF cameras, other than investing a couple of extra grand.
The crop mode is one reason I like Nikonians, they don't feel like a lesser photog for using it and don't have to have FF to be a 'real' photog.

I hope that canon uses the crop mode on the 30D. A 2x or (greater!) with 8MP would be awesome.

sgrenald
09-06-2005, 09:54 PM
I doubt this is a hoax because this appeared on Nikon's website for some time, just like how the 5D appeared on Canon's site before it was promptly removed. At worst, we still know a D200 is coming. And at best, we know a lot about the camera from these specs, short of seeing it for real.

I am hoping to see this sold at around the $2000 price point, but you never know what's going to really happen. Indications point to more, but anything can happen.

It's probably not a hoax, but it probably IS a mistake. I think it was just some "pasted up" marketing info that used the D2X info as filler. Why would Nikon release a camera that was almost as good as their flagship, for less than half the price? I'm betting it'll have the 10.4MP Sony sensor in it, and will sell for $2000-2500.

Wait for November