PDA

View Full Version : D50 Battery chamber problem???

tigerli
08-20-2005, 06:58 AM
Hi fellow Nikon users,

I'm a pround owner of new D50, and am pleased with its image quality so far. However, the battery chamber on my D50 may have a probem:

(1) When I push the battery into the battery chamber, the battery will not fully stay or be locked inside the chamber--a small part of the battery (about 0.25 inch) remains above the chamber door level--unless I close the chamber door. :eek:

This doesn't happen on my Panasonic FZ5: when I insert its battery into its chamber, the battery will be fully "locked" inside the chamber -- no part of the battery remains outside -- even before I close the cover.

(2) When I open my D50 battery chamber cover, the battery automatically pops up. When I try to pull out the battery, the battery seems a little bit stuck inside -- I have to use some force to pull it out. :confused:

Do these two conditions happen to your D50? Does the battery chamber on my D50 have some defects? If yes, I'd want to bring it back for an exchange before it is too late.

Many thanks.

D70FAN
08-20-2005, 08:49 AM
Hi fellow Nikon users,

I'm a pround owner of new D50, and am pleased with its image quality so far. However, the battery chamber on my D50 may have a probem:

(1) When I push the battery into the battery chamber, the battery will not fully stay or be locked inside the chamber--a small part of the battery (about 0.25 inch) remains above the chamber door level--unless I close the chamber door. :eek:

This doesn't happen on my Panasonic FZ5: when I insert its battery into its chamber, the battery will be fully "locked" inside the chamber -- no part of the battery remains outside -- even before I close the cover.

(2) When I open my D50 battery chamber cover, the battery automatically pops up. When I try to pull out the battery, the battery seems a little bit stuck inside -- I have to use some force to pull it out. :confused:

Do these two conditions happen to your D50? Does the battery chamber on my D50 have some defects? If yes, I'd want to bring it back for an exchange before it is too late.

Many thanks.

Sounds like it's working ok. The D70 works the same way. It's a zero insertion force type connector and the weight of the battery is enough to let it slide free when you open the door. The little force that you have to use to pull it out is a detent to keep the battery from falling out of the chamber when you open the door.

thesween
08-20-2005, 08:52 PM
Judging by the fact that the D70 does the same thing, which I did find troubling at first, I'd say it is indeed a design element in the camera, and not a problem.

tigerli
08-20-2005, 09:32 PM
Thank you for the response. Other users also said the same thing.
I feel better now about my D50. :D