PDA

View Full Version : Settings in concert hall

Bill M
08-20-2005, 06:35 AM
I'm very new to DSLR photography and it's been years since I had my old 35 SLR out. Have had the camera less than a week. I'm going to be in a building this evening watching bands play on a stage with lights and either low to no light in the seating area. There will not be a bunch of movement on the stage, not a rock concert. I using an Olympus E300 with 150 mm telephoto. Any tips on shooting without flash in this setting would be appreciated.

Geoff Chandler
08-20-2005, 08:33 AM
I'm very new to DSLR photography and it's been years since I had my old 35 SLR out. Have had the camera less than a week. I'm going to be in a building this evening watching bands play on a stage with lights and either low to no light in the seating area. There will not be a bunch of movement on the stage, not a rock concert. I using an Olympus E300 with 150 mm telephoto. Any tips on shooting without flash in this setting would be appreciated.
Bit short notice - don't know your camera intimately - but basically bump up your ASA setting - don't know the ASA range but I would say 800 asa or above - select apperture priority and set it wide open or fairly wide if you don't like the quality - decide what kind of lighting it is and select (tungsten or whatever) or do a manual white setting. Wedge yourself in - make sure you have achieved a pretty fast shutter speed by the combination of high asa and low f-stop - if you are using 150mm you'll need over 100th sec for best results ( usually sec = mm ie 150th sec for 150mm - depending how steady you are)
Good luck
Geoff

Bill M
08-20-2005, 02:01 PM
Geoff thanks so much. I know short notice, just found you today! Thanks again.