PDA

View Full Version : New here...some advice?

RedEye
09-21-2004, 08:49 AM
Hi!

So after reading the reviews here and going through all the posts, I finally got myself the A95. I'm new when it comes to the world of digital photography and this is my very first digi cam. Till now, I'm absolutely in awe of it. It just seems to have gotten better (was looking at the A85 first).

I just had a couple of questions, since I have an upcoming vacation to SF and was hoping to get some tips....

First, this may sound silly, but is it ok to travel with the camera through airport security screens? meaning the xrays and all with the media storage cards - any untoward effects? or am I just being plain paranoid?

Second, any input about which NiMh batterries to get and what power? Or would just the normal rechargeable ones from the local Walmart do?

And last, but not least, any tips on taking better quality pics would be highly appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

judge9847
09-21-2004, 12:23 PM
First, this may sound silly, but is it ok to travel with the camera through airport security screens? meaning the xrays and all with the media storage cards - any untoward effects? or am I just being plain paranoid?
First, it doesn't sound silly at all. It's a very fair question to ask. Secondly, I've never had a problem hauling empty cards or cards that contain photos through airport security. In fact, I did exactly that out of London Gatwick on Tuesday 2 weeks ago and out of Salzburg last week. There were very nearly 800 images on two cameras using two different storage systems and none suffered anything at all. You should have no worries in that respect.

As for the batteries, I can't help there. I have to use Panasonic's and Fuji's own non-standards. Anyone else help RedEye with that information?

RedEye
09-21-2004, 08:26 PM
First, it doesn't sound silly at all. It's a very fair question to ask. Secondly, I've never had a problem hauling empty cards or cards that contain photos through airport security. In fact, I did exactly that out of London Gatwick on Tuesday 2 weeks ago and out of Salzburg last week. There were very nearly 800 images on two cameras using two different storage systems and none suffered anything at all. You should have no worries in that respect.

Thanks Judge...helps to clear that doubt up...I just had a flashback where ages ago one of my CDs had gotten spoilt while being scanned through an airport!

As for the batteries, I can't help there. I have to use Panasonic's and Fuji's own non-standards. Anyone else help RedEye with that information?

I tried going around and looking at my local stores...the most I could get was a 2100mAH battery....with a charger it would have cost me close to $45....and I found the Maha Powerex 2300 WITH a charger for less....now I have to decide whether it's really worth all the hassle to have it shipped to me or should I just go out and get myself the regular energizer rechargeables?

D70FAN
09-21-2004, 10:20 PM
Thanks Judge...helps to clear that doubt up...I just had a flashback where ages ago one of my CDs had gotten spoilt while being scanned through an airport!

I tried going around and looking at my local stores...the most I could get was a 2100mAH battery....with a charger it would have cost me close to $45....and I found the Maha Powerex 2300 WITH a charger for less....now I have to decide whether it's really worth all the hassle to have it shipped to me or should I just go out and get myself the regular energizer rechargeables?

Yes. It is. Worth it. The Maha C204 is probably the best charger on the market, and Powerex cells are as good as they get. Order them from Thomas Distributing and somehow Jeff gets a gold star, or money, or both?. :)

RedEye
09-22-2004, 05:29 AM
Thanks for the help guys...made up my mind...am going to order the 204W and the cells.....anyone ordered direct from the powerex online store? they have express shipping, which is what I need if I'm going to get them on time!!!

Promise this is the last time I bug anyone about this!!! :)