PDA

View Full Version : blue dot on lcd of sd400

zulu
08-16-2005, 07:15 PM
hi guys, i just received my canon sd400 yesterday and noticed a blue dot (like a speck of dust) on the top right of the lcd. it doesnt really bother me but just wanted to know if its a dead pixel or not, and in any case, should i send it back and get a replacement? please let me know asap because i think i have only 15 days to return it. thanks!

mes444
08-17-2005, 07:52 AM
It could be a dead pixel or a dust speck. If it doesn't show up on any of your pictures, it's just an lcd problem, not a sensor problem. If it also shows on your pics, send it back. Otherwise, if it bothers you a lot you can send it back anyway and hope the new one doesn't have worse problems or you can just keep it and forget it. I have an A510 with a tiny speck on the bottom left corner of the lcd. No problem with pics. So I kept it and don't even notice it anymore.

nitr0uzv
08-17-2005, 08:13 AM
Its probley a stuck pixil you can try taking it back to where you got it and see if you can get an exchange

or try turning the lcd on and off until it gets unstuck

dunno if that will work, thats what I heard with sony PSPs they just flash the screen a couple times then it gets unstuck

zulu
08-18-2005, 06:46 AM
no it doesn't show up in any of the pics. it seems to be a dead pixel like you guys mentioned. i bought it from Dell, so I'd have to ship it to them and wait atleast another week to get it back. worth the pain? i mean it doesn't really bother me, its just that i've been reading so much about the lcd screens in these digital elphs going bad that i'm worried if this may lead to it.

mes444
08-18-2005, 10:59 AM
I don't think you can predict if it will turn into a bigger problem. Never can tell that kind of thing. But it does seem to be annoying you and a new camera shouldn't do that. So if sending it back isn't too big a deal, do it and maybe you will get one without the problem. It's really whatever works for you.

karlofun
08-19-2005, 09:25 PM
i have the same issue with my a75, which came up soon after i bought it. i actually called canon about it in hopes that they would have it repaired (at that time it was still under warranty), and they told me that the blue dot was actually a common issue among a lot of digital cameras, and for that reason they wouldn't repair it. apparently it's called a 'hot pixel', and in dark enough conditions, they do appear in pictures.

anyway, it's a very minor problem, and it hasn't ruined any pictures i've taken in the past year.

RiCoChEt
08-21-2005, 10:35 AM
I've got a red speck in the lower left portion of my SD500 LCD screen.

The manual says these specks are natural, and almost 99.9% of the pixels function exceptionally. I have no complaints, the red speck doesn't bother the image quality.