PDA

View Full Version : alternative to Nikon Flash?

Chad Howard
08-16-2005, 06:24 AM
My budget is a little tight, but I'd really like to get a flash unit. I've seen an add for a quantaray that claims to work on the Nikon D70. Would this be a bit mistake? I've owned SLRs for several years, but haven't had the money to add a flash to my set up.

suggestions?

erichlund
08-16-2005, 08:09 AM
Most flashes will work on the D70. A lot of people strongly recommend you get either the Nikon SB600 or SB800. But the others will work fine, either in non-TTL automatic mode or in manual mode. You may actually have to think about it and make some settings on the flash, but it will work. The one thing you want to make certain of is that the trigger voltage of the flash does not exceed the limit in your D70 manual. Otherwise the flash could damage your camera. Due to a burglary, I'm between cameras at the moment, so I can't quote the value.

Cheers,
Eric

Warin
08-16-2005, 09:46 AM
I would strongly reccommend saving the extra cash and getting an SB600 at the very least. You can still use the SB600 off camera with the D70 in Commander mode, and when you can afford an SB800, you'll have the start of an excellent lighting kit!

What is the Quantaray worth, anyways?

Chad Howard
08-16-2005, 11:04 AM
the quantaray is about $85.

Warin
08-16-2005, 12:57 PM
The SB600 can be had for ~179 at BH Photo. Can you afford the difference? The wireless control is awesome, something which I am sure the Quantaray wont do.

Chad Howard
08-16-2005, 01:57 PM
It just means waiting until Christmas. :)

Thanks for the feedback. I guess what I was hoping to hear is that someone else took the plunge with the quantaray and is a satisfied customer. Sounds like I should just be patient and save a few more dollars.

Thanks!

thesween
08-16-2005, 03:28 PM
FWIW, I cannot seem to get a definitive answer as to what older flashes will work with the D70 WITHOUT damaging the circuitry in the camera. I have a couple of older Speedlights, plus some Sunpaks and Vivitars, and I'm half afraid of trying any of them on the D70. That aside, the on-board flash on the D70 is supposed to be one of the best out there, so maybe anything less than a SB600 or SB800 is pretty much a waste of time anyway...

Somewhere on these forums is a pic someone posted from their D70 with, I believe, a SB800, and it is nothing short of spectacular. If this unit can do what it appears to be able to do, then it's worth the pricey tag it carries.

D70FAN
08-16-2005, 03:48 PM
FWIW, I cannot seem to get a definitive answer as to what older flashes will work with the D70 WITHOUT damaging the circuitry in the camera. I have a couple of older Speedlights, plus some Sunpaks and Vivitars, and I'm half afraid of trying any of them on the D70. That aside, the on-board flash on the D70 is supposed to be one of the best out there, so maybe anything less than a SB600 or SB800 is pretty much a waste of time anyway...

Somewhere on these forums is a pic someone posted from their D70 with, I believe, a SB800, and it is nothing short of spectacular. If this unit can do what it appears to be able to do, then it's worth the pricey tag it carries.

I'm not sure about spectacular, but I posted this one about 3 months ago which pretty well shows the accuracy of the 800's TTL metering.

Chad Howard
08-16-2005, 07:57 PM
So, the flash was able to preserve the natural lighting and save the shadows? Did you compensate the flash one way or the other?

Kenyada
08-17-2005, 03:30 AM
My budget is a little tight, but I'd really like to get a flash unit. I've seen an add for a quantaray that claims to work on the Nikon D70. Would this be a bit mistake? I've owned SLRs for several years, but haven't had the money to add a flash to my set up.

suggestions?
Yes, I'm certain the Quantaray ad says it works well with Nikon D70. [A CircuitCity sales rep once told me that a pair of rabbit ears would work with my HDTV. Theoretically, he was correct ;) ]

There are advantages to holding off until XMas to purchase the SB-800. The price may drop slightly, and Nikon will probably issue a $25 rebate on that model. If ordering online, be cautious about going after the lowest price, many of those dealers are not authorized, meaning the rebate won't be available. The SB-800 is well worth the wait. I have one, and now I'm "waiting" to purchase the SB-600, the 800's smaller sibling, as a slave flash. They work great together.

D70FAN
08-17-2005, 08:35 AM
So, the flash was able to preserve the natural lighting and save the shadows? Did you compensate the flash one way or the other?

Yes, and yes. I was also amazed that the sunset colors on the sage colored wall were retained. The photo turned out exactly as I saw it. This doesn't happen 100% of the time, but it is the norm rather than the exception.

Flash was on full auto-tracking iTTL and angled at about 60 degrees with the standard diffuser attached (no filters on flash or lens). For reference, the camera (D70) was in aperture priority mode, using a Sigma 18-125 DC.

thesween
08-17-2005, 01:46 PM
That is exactly the pic I was thinking of, and I do find it remarkable what that flash did under the circumstances. I'd bet that even my Nikon Speedlights would've blown out the shadows almost completely.

D70FAN
08-17-2005, 02:13 PM
That is exactly the pic I was thinking of, and I do find it remarkable what that flash did under the circumstances. I'd bet that even my Nikon Speedlights would've blown out the shadows almost completely.

Yes the SB600 and SB800 are definately a new breed of Speedlights. I have used the SB28DX and the SB50DX with other cameras and they are nowhere close. Pretty much everytime I use it, I'm pleased with the results. Occasionally, for really weird or special lighting I have had to do a quick manual adjustment, but like I said before that is the exception.

After trying another photographers multi SB800 setup last year, at a wedding reception, I'm definately looking at expanding my collection. It's like shooting indoors in daylight. At $300 each it may be a while.

So little money, so much to buy... ;)