PDA

View Full Version : How to get nice action pics?

nismo
08-15-2005, 06:51 PM
Hello, i had a little question :D
I own a Sony DSC-W5 and was wondering wat kinda setting i should use to capture good pics of things or people in motion without them being blury in the photo? for example if a person is running i want to have them paused in the pic. I know its not the greatest camera out there but any tips will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks...

JTL
08-15-2005, 09:15 PM
Hello, i had a little question :D
I own a Sony DSC-W5 and was wondering wat kinda setting i should use to capture good pics of things or people in motion without them being blury in the photo? for example if a person is running i want to have them paused in the pic. I know its not the greatest camera out there but any tips will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks...Use a fast shutter speed and "pan" with the action as you take your shot. It takes some practice, but what doesn't? :)

cdifoto
08-15-2005, 09:29 PM
Use a fast shutter speed and "pan" with the action as you take your shot. It takes some practice, but what doesn't? :)

You want a slow shutter if you're doing vehicles ie at a race track. This way when you pan you still get the vehicle in sharp focus, the background blurry, and the tires spinning.

Like this:

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b100/nftn/img-304profile.jpg

This was with a Digital Rebel XT but my settings were as follows:

Shooting Date/Time
8/13/2005 10:55:15 PM
Shooting Mode
Manual Exposure
Tv( Shutter Speed )
1/80
Av( Aperture Value )
Metering Mode
Evaluative Metering
ISO Speed
Lens
50.0mm

nismo
08-16-2005, 12:55 PM
thank you again... :) any more tips?

cdifoto
08-16-2005, 02:36 PM
thank you again... :) any more tips?

Yeah...

...practice. A lot. :D

tim11
08-16-2005, 04:28 PM
If you want to freeze everything, main subject and background, go for fast shutter speed. Either that or try preset scene - ACTION or SPORT mode. But don't pan the camera.

cdifoto
08-16-2005, 05:23 PM
If you want to freeze everything, main subject and background, go for fast shutter speed. Either that or try preset scene - ACTION or SPORT mode. But don't pan the camera.

Agreed. Pan with slower shutter for auto racing and such...to show movement. High shutter for freezing action such as basketball layups, golf balls shot from the green, baseball bats swinging, etc.

nismo
08-16-2005, 05:48 PM