PDA

View Full Version : PSA95 or A85 - Is redeye the deciding feature

whichone
09-21-2004, 01:20 AM
I am expecting my first baby on Oct 2 and I want to buy a digital camera to take all the inevitable 'baby photos'. I have heard really good things about the Canon A80, A85 and A95 and am in the last stages of deciding between the Canon A85 and A95. I am happy to pay the extra approx $100 (in Australia) for the A95 but am very concerned about the redeye problem mentioned in Jeff's Keller's review by posted on September 4, 2004 (see below).

"I took a lot of redeye test shots for this review (A95). ......... After testing the PowerShot A75 a few months back and seeing opposite results, I tried again. And again. And kept getting the same results. I grabbed the A85 which is also here for testing and it did better. So for whatever reason the A95 seems to have more redeye than the A75 and A85 (they seem to have the same flash)."

Does anyone understand why this issue seems worst in the A95? Is redeye enough of a reason to not buy what sounds like a good camera? How easy is it to remove redeye using software?

If I don't really need the 5MP, should I give up the rotating screen and just stick with the A85 for the sake of redeye reduction?

Javair
09-21-2004, 10:49 AM
I am a father of three, my oldest just turned 10. Over the years, with birthday parties, church plays, or with trips like Disneyland, I can tell you the rotating screen is a TOTAL MUST.

When behind a crowd of kids around a birthday cake, or joining a crowd of camera-crazy parents at the preschool recital, I can lift my camera above the crowd, arm stretched high, screen rotated down toward my uplifted face, and shoot clear shots above the fray.

I hate red-eye (who doesn't), but if or when it occurs, you can correct it on your computer screen with a click of a button. A few cameras actually have such photo-doctoring software inside them, so that it will (attempt?) to correct redeye right in the camera. I guess this in-camera correction is good if you plan to use some direct-to-printer method instead of loading your pics in a computer first. But, once on your computer, you can really change a lot of things easily (contrast, brightness, hue, redeye, etc.).

Again, as a Dad, a swivel screen is a huge relief: no fighting for a good view among other parents or kids...

Leonidas
10-07-2004, 05:12 PM
Over the years shooting with mostly SLR with "well" or with prism I made the experience that seeing exactly what you shoot becomes irrelevant especially with (not fast moving) people. If you take photos of people your are mostly very near and with more and more experience with the camera you learn to know where the lens "points" to.
This becomes more awkward the lighter and smaller the camera ist, but the Axx-models are just big and handy enough. Also have the displays - I own the A70 and tried out an A75 - good contrast, so you can also see the outlines of what you are tryiing to take a photo of if you look at the display from an angle (around 45 degrees works at least).
I think the movable display is nice for taking shots of things beyond a crowd or at knee-level, but not at a party. You mostly don't take photos but if, then five to ten and then you will want to store away the camera fast again and with the display rotated out you can't operate it anymore with one hand.

So redeye would be a decisive factor, because the programs can't really remove it, they just recolor the eyes in a color the might have been. Especially in the dark, the very bright red-eye-effect tends to outshine not only the pupil but also the colored iris. Take your spouse with you to the shop an try it out. Or buy an additional slave-flash (I plan to, the only-direct-flashing unnerves me.) (Or just take a camera with a interface to a external flash and use this flashing indirect and you'll never see again a redeye).

A more deciding factor for me would be that the A95 starts at 38 mm equivalent focal length, whereas the A85 has 35 (which is still too much for a compact). Or that the A95 has a bigger sensor, which might make its pictures sharper at the same resolution.

Leo

D70FAN
10-07-2004, 05:28 PM
I am expecting my first baby on Oct 2 and I want to buy a digital camera to take all the inevitable 'baby photos'. I have heard really good things about the Canon A80, A85 and A95 and am in the last stages of deciding between the Canon A85 and A95. I am happy to pay the extra approx $100 (in Australia) for the A95 but am very concerned about the redeye problem mentioned in Jeff's Keller's review by posted on September 4, 2004 (see below).

"I took a lot of redeye test shots for this review (A95). ......... After testing the PowerShot A75 a few months back and seeing opposite results, I tried again. And again. And kept getting the same results. I grabbed the A85 which is also here for testing and it did better. So for whatever reason the A95 seems to have more redeye than the A75 and A85 (they seem to have the same flash)."

Does anyone understand why this issue seems worst in the A95? Is redeye enough of a reason to not buy what sounds like a good camera? How easy is it to remove redeye using software?

If I don't really need the 5MP, should I give up the rotating screen and just stick with the A85 for the sake of redeye reduction?

One camera you may have missed is the "tweener" A80. I'm pretty sure you can still find this camera in stores, or on-line, as it is the predicessor to the A95. It has a smaller swivel LCD (1.5") and is a 4MP imager, but the red-eye is about the same as the A75 and A85.

Take a look, as it seems to be a good compromise for your "new parent" needs.