PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Photography Magazine?

kornhauser
08-14-2005, 07:18 AM
I was on vacation last week and found myself in a book store looking for a photography magazine to take to the beach and just relax with. I was amazed that there seemed to be at least two dozen magazines for a photographer to choose from. However, it was quickly apparent that some magazines like "Shutterbug" are nothing but monthly ads.

Do you have a favorite magazine? What's a good magazine for general purpose tips and ideas that isn't cover to cover with ads?

Kenyada
08-14-2005, 09:04 AM
I was on vacation last week and found myself in a book store looking for a photography magazine to take to the beach and just relax with. I was amazed that there seemed to be at least two dozen magazines for a photographer to choose from. However, it was quickly apparent that some magazines like "Shutterbug" are nothing but monthly ads.

Do you have a favorite magazine? What's a good magazine for general purpose tips and ideas that isn't cover to cover with ads?

I subscribe to several photo magazines, but my favorite is Popular Photography. Great tips and reviews! The Sept. issue, for example, highlights 35 great photo gadgets under $10. A regular feature that I particularly like is called "The Fix." It takes a photo and does a critical review of the print, while explaining how to correct it. I've learned so much from this publication.

Robert Besen
08-14-2005, 10:55 AM
My favorite for digital gear and Photoshop tips is "What Digital Camera." It's a UK publication, but I subscribe in the US. You can find it in the usual magazine outlets if you want to check it out. The only probem I have with it is that the prices quoted in reviews are in pounds, and sometimes the UK camera model names are different than the US counterparts.

For general photography topics I like "Popular Photography" and "Outdoor Photographer."

akysiev
08-14-2005, 02:11 PM
Popular Photography. It has basically all I can ask for: reviews, tips, techniques, some post-processing stuff, etc. They also have reader's photos and as said before, "The Fix", which is quite insightful.

gary_hendricks
08-28-2005, 02:05 AM
I gotta go with Popular Photography. :)

nwpoland
08-31-2005, 11:40 PM
I live in Poland, so English magazines are a luxury for me. But yesterday, I ran across a copy of "Practical Photography" and after a quick look had to buy it. It lives up to the name, giving a ton of useful articles related to making your pics better. I'm hoping to find it on a regular basis.

Anyone from UK concur??