PDA

View Full Version : c-770 UZ concert photo taking

AClockworkOrange
08-12-2005, 12:36 PM
im ready to bump up to try out new settings on my camera. can anyone give me some tips on shooting concert photos with this camera ?

its a great camera, and i have had some good luck with it so far. ( battery donst last very long though )

any advice would be great !

thanks

Mike

Geoff Chandler
08-12-2005, 05:59 PM
Yep! If you are not able to use flash (and that is often the case)
first work out what lighting there is - if you can - set the manual white - otherwise select from the preset list (Tungsten, fluorescent etc)
Next check how much light - hopefully there will be enough!
Put it into 'A' setting (apperture priority) and set the apperture as low as poss (2.8 at the wide end, 3.7 at the tele end) ~ this will allow the camera to automatically select the fastest possible shutter speed available for the given amount of light.
Bump up the ASA to 400 unless there is enough light to give a good shutter speed
Wedge yourself in tight and hold the camera to your eye and use the EVF for a tighter control to avaoid camera shake. If you can stand the camera on a hard surface that will help - alternatively find a post to lean it against
Good luck & I hope that helps

Geoff

AClockworkOrange
08-15-2005, 10:05 AM
Yep! If you are not able to use flash (and that is often the case)
first work out what lighting there is - if you can - set the manual white - otherwise select from the preset list (Tungsten, fluorescent etc)
Next check how much light - hopefully there will be enough!
Put it into 'A' setting (apperture priority) and set the apperture as low as poss (2.8 at the wide end, 3.7 at the tele end) ~ this will allow the camera to automatically select the fastest possible shutter speed available for the given amount of light.
Bump up the ASA to 400 unless there is enough light to give a good shutter speed
Wedge yourself in tight and hold the camera to your eye and use the EVF for a tighter control to avaoid camera shake. If you can stand the camera on a hard surface that will help - alternatively find a post to lean it against
Good luck & I hope that helps

Geoff

thanks, i did do alot of research on last friday. this is what i did.

i set it to a/s/m and chose M

set the apature to 2.8, shutter speed to 1/125 and the ISO to 400. they came out pretty damn good. a tad blurry on some, but 2/3 came out ok. a tad grainy, but for being a good 40-50 feet away and using the zoom, i was impressed. i got a big concert coming up in mid sept, so i was testing out these settings on 'the wiggles' ! lol

what is the EVF ? and i believe that concerts use tungsten lighting, but im not sure on that. what should i use for a white setting for that ?

Geoff Chandler
08-15-2005, 05:18 PM
thanks, i did do alot of research on last friday. this is what i did.

i set it to a/s/m and chose M

set the apature to 2.8, shutter speed to 1/125 and the ISO to 400. they came out pretty damn good. a tad blurry on some, but 2/3 came out ok. a tad grainy, but for being a good 40-50 feet away and using the zoom, i was impressed. i got a big concert coming up in mid sept, so i was testing out these settings on 'the wiggles' ! lol

what is the EVF ? and i believe that concerts use tungsten lighting, but im not sure on that. what should i use for a white setting for that ?
Sounds like you're really doing well!
The EVF = Elctronic Veiw Finder (I hate abreviations!).
There is a tungsten setting - possibly more than 1 - manual white will be more accurate - if it is like it's baby brothers - then select the colour balance and manual white - then using a peice of white card/paper or a white wall - in the area where the lighting is - press the middle menu button and it will adjust to that as it's reference white.
I would set to A and the camera will balance the exposure using as fast a shutter speed as it can correctly use - depending on how the illumination balances out you may wish to under or over expose ( L or R button either side of the menu button - on the 4 way.) Sometimes if there is a dark curtain behind the performers this confuses the camera and causes it to try to lighten up the image to compensate - hence the possible use of compensation to under expose. ~ let me know if this isn't making sense - sometimes my dyslexic brain knows what it's going on about but is not clear to others! - But basically - large amount of dark background - = under expose to compensat - especially if the performers are spotlighted. If you zoom in on one of them then that will be different - use your eyes to decide on the makeup of the picture.
Good luck - let us know how you get along

AClockworkOrange
08-20-2005, 07:17 PM
thanks for the advice, i think ill be using that for the upcoiming queensryche concert next month.

its a nice camera, now i dont think im going to buy a bigger flash. this camrea does pretty good without it.

and the free version of neat image does a pretty good job of enhaing the pictures.

what do you reccomend is a good shutter speed for indoor concerts ?

i did pretty good with 1/125. and the screen on the camera is pretty small, so i wont be able to tell how clear the pics are till i get them home.

AClockworkOrange
08-30-2005, 03:29 PM
i was told by a photographer to try 1/60 shutter speed for a concert.

he said only if i have steady hands.

whats the opinion here about that.