PDA

View Full Version : fair prices

Rhys
09-20-2004, 09:10 AM
Since I'm now located in South Carolina, what would be a fair price for a multicard reader? I know roughly the UK prices but they're a lot higher than here. Also, is there anywhere that gives an honest price instead of the ludicrous pay-through-the-nose-then-claim-a-rebate nonsense?

D70FAN
09-20-2004, 09:26 AM
Since I'm now located in South Carolina, what would be a fair price for a multicard reader? I know roughly the UK prices but they're a lot higher than here. Also, is there anywhere that gives an honest price instead of the ludicrous pay-through-the-nose-then-claim-a-rebate nonsense?

Rhys, I don't know if there is a Fry's Electronics in South Carolina, but they have a few PQI and Inland (USB 2.0) 6-in-1 and 8-in-1 readers for $9.99 to $19.99.

You might give Wal-Mart or Target a try as well.

Welcome to the US of A. Hope your travels are going well.

Dave601
09-20-2004, 03:07 PM
I don't know if you would want to buy things on the internet or not, but newegg.com has some good deals (http://216.52.208.185/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=20-162-106&depa=7) too.

I acctually just ordered that reader yesterday from newegg.com. :D

Rhys
09-21-2004, 07:00 AM
Rhys, I don't know if there is a Fry's Electronics in South Carolina, but they have a few PQI and Inland (USB 2.0) 6-in-1 and 8-in-1 readers for $9.99 to $19.99.

You might give Wal-Mart or Target a try as well.

Welcome to the US of A. Hope your travels are going well.

Thanks George. I shall ask my girlfriend here about Fry's.

I had an exhausting trip - left home 7pm UK time on Thursday. Travelled to the airport. Wandered around the airport for 11 hours until my midday flight on Friday. Flew to Newark and arrived 30 minutes early. Then Columbia was closed by Ivan so I re-routed to Charlotte. The airline wanted 10 people to stay overnight in Newark as the next plane was over-booked. I'm glad I didn't stay in Newark as that was closed by Ivan the next morning. my girlfriend and I checked into a hotel in Charlotte overnight at 10:30pm on Friday night (3:30am UKtime on Saturday morning) so I had my first sleep for several days. It's really beautiful here with all the trees and blue skies.

D70FAN
09-21-2004, 07:08 AM
Thanks George. I shall ask my girlfriend here about Fry's.

I had an exhausting trip - left home 7pm UK time on Thursday. Travelled to the airport. Wandered around the airport for 11 hours until my midday flight on Friday. Flew to Newark and arrived 30 minutes early. Then Columbia was closed by Ivan so I re-routed to Charlotte. The airline wanted 10 people to stay overnight in Newark as the next plane was over-booked. I'm glad I didn't stay in Newark as that was closed by Ivan the next morning. my girlfriend and I checked into a hotel in Charlotte overnight at 10:30pm on Friday night (3:30am UKtime on Saturday morning) so I had my first sleep for several days. It's really beautiful here with all the trees and blue skies.

Glad things worked out. Ivan has certainly wrecked havoc and we are glad to say adios. Even here in the desert we had Javier (tropical storm) visit and dumped almost 2 inches of rain in some areas. In this case we said welcome to Javier as the local mountains really needed a good drenching to help refill the reseviors.

Anyway, have a great trip and try to put some wear the S1 IS.

Rhys
09-21-2004, 06:19 PM
I can't find a Fry's in Columbia, South Carolina.

I looked around and although I didn't visit wal-mart, I did see a Sandisk 8-in-1 card reader for $37 in Best Buy. That looks a bit pricey but I'm not sure.

The other thing I need is a battery charger. Again, the best I've seen has been around $37. Ideally, I'm after a one-piece computerised unit.

Apparently it's chilly in Columbia - I nearly roasted today!

Rhys

D70FAN
09-21-2004, 08:11 PM
I can't find a Fry's in Columbia, South Carolina.

I looked around and although I didn't visit wal-mart, I did see a Sandisk 8-in-1 card reader for $37 in Best Buy. That looks a bit pricey but I'm not sure.

The other thing I need is a battery charger. Again, the best I've seen has been around $37. Ideally, I'm after a one-piece computerised unit.

Apparently it's chilly in Columbia - I nearly roasted today!

Rhys

Try a Wal-Mart or Target store. Best Buy is generally not true to their name on accessories.

kgosden
09-21-2004, 09:49 PM
Rhys, the nearest Fry's (one 1 of 2 east of the Mississippi) is in the north metro Atlanta area. It is about 2 1/2 hours south west of Columbia off of intersate I-85 at the exit for Pleasant Hill Rd. Exit the highway and take one of the first right turns off of Pleasant Hill rd. Fry's is on a loop road that circles the Gwinnett Place Mall. It is almost worth the drive for a certified gadget geek. The one month old store is going to make my regular treks to Pheonix, AZ a lot less rewarding (but probably cheaper).

D70FAN
09-21-2004, 11:14 PM
Rhys, the nearest Fry's (one 1 of 2 east of the Mississippi) is in the north metro Atlanta area. It is about 2 1/2 hours south west of Columbia off of intersate I-85 at the exit for Pleasant Hill Rd. Exit the highway and take one of the first right turns off of Pleasant Hill rd. Fry's is on a loop road that circles the Gwinnett Place Mall. It is almost worth the drive for a certified gadget geek. The one month old store is going to make my regular treks to Pheonix, AZ a lot less rewarding (but probably cheaper).

Yup it was one of the requirements for me to relocate to the Phoenix area. Not just one, but 2 Fry's electronics.