PDA

View Full Version : Poor Focus on Close-up shots

gshowman
08-11-2005, 09:33 AM
I'm pretty ignorant about photography, so I may be asking a fundamental question, but how can I get good focus on a close up shot. I tried to take a picture of a coin and if I get close enough to read the date, it's out of focus. Is this a camera limitation or do I have a setting wrong? I was using a HP digital camera (don't recall teh model) with 3 megapixel resolution.

SamPhilly
08-11-2005, 10:23 AM
Without getting into too many details, Macro mode will allow you to take close pictures.

David Metsky
08-11-2005, 10:34 AM
Your camera should have a mode called "Macro" that will allow it to focus on close up objects. Put the camera in that mode, go with the zoom as far wide as possible (counter-intuative) and the camera should take care of the rest.

-dave-

Clyde
08-11-2005, 10:51 AM
I'm pretty ignorant about photography, so I may be asking a fundamental question, but how can I get good focus on a close up shot. I tried to take a picture of a coin and if I get close enough to read the date, it's out of focus. Is this a camera limitation or do I have a setting wrong? I was using a HP digital camera (don't recall teh model) with 3 megapixel resolution.

While other posters are of course right when they recommend "macro" mode, you should be aware that lenses have a minimum distance they can focus at. So, if you get closer than the lens allows, you get blurry shots.

What you can do is get as close as your camera allows, using macro mode if available, and then crop the picture on your computer to show the detail you want. Use the computer to do the cropping, don't use "digital zoom." Digital zoom is effectively using your camera's tiny chip to do work your expensive and powerful computer can do better.

Hope that helps,

Clyde

jamison55
08-11-2005, 12:17 PM
Also remember to use a tripod. The closer you are the narrower the area of focus is, so slight camera movements after you have locked focus will cause the picture to be thrown OOF...

akysiev
08-11-2005, 03:41 PM
And zooming in will also increase that minimum focusing distance usually. Close up, you would normally want to use a wide angle of view (expands perspective) and a wide aperture for that real macro feel.