PDA

View Full Version : Older vs. New technology

Chestersoftball
09-20-2004, 07:09 AM
I am new to the Digital Camera Market and could use some help. I am purchasing a camera to mostly capture my kids in sports, both indoor and outdoor (wrestling and softball picther). I have the opportunity to purchase a Dimage 7HI at the same price as a Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ20 which has received wonderful reviews. The Question is: The Dimage seems to be a Professional Quality camera of it's time of release, is it still a better camera than what is being produced now for the $600 price tag? I am not a professional photographer is one much easier to use, and better for sporting events? Thank You!! Is there in your opinions something more suitable out there, that I should look into?

Rick

D70FAN
09-20-2004, 09:46 AM
I am new to the Digital Camera Market and could use some help. I am purchasing a camera to mostly capture my kids in sports, both indoor and outdoor (wrestling and softball picther). I have the opportunity to purchase a Dimage 7HI at the same price as a Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ20 which has received wonderful reviews. The Question is: The Dimage seems to be a Professional Quality camera of it's time of release, is it still a better camera than what is being produced now for the $600 price tag? I am not a professional photographer is one much easier to use, and better for sporting events? Thank You!! Is there in your opinions something more suitable out there, that I should look into?

Rick

Even though cross-posting is not generally allowed, I can see why you did so.

The 7Hi is an ok camera, but overall I think you will be better served by either the FZ15 (4MP) or FZ20 (5MP). 1 MegaPixel does not make a big difference unless you are planning heavy cropping and large format printing.

Besides having a very fast (f2.8) 12X zoom lens, the FZ series lenses are image stabilized, meaning that even at 420mm telephoto (12X) camera shake will be essentially neutralized. The new FZ series (FZ3, FZ15, and FZ20) have added an AF assist lamp for those indoor family shots.

Additionally the FZ series are easy to use, lower cost, and give great results.

P.S. For future reference, neither of these cameras is considered a dSLR. The Canon 300D and Nikon D70 are examples of dSLR's.

Chestersoftball
09-20-2004, 10:09 AM
Thank You very much for your reply and information, I greatly appreciate it.