PDA

View Full Version : Nikon D70 vs. Olympus C-8080 vs. Canon Pro 1

BWV565
07-09-2004, 06:43 AM
I'm on the verge of buying the Nikon D-70 kit, but before I do:

1. Is it worth the extra $500 (in Canada) over either the Canon Pro 1 or the Olympus 8080? I'm speaking primarily about picture quality, overall camera quality and feature set.

2. What have been experiences with capturing in RAW format and converting to TIFF or another format (using, for example, PhotoShop or PaintShop Pro)? Is this significantly better output compared to taking .jpgs?

Any other information would be highly appreciated. I have read reviews non-stop in all areas: dpreview.com, dcresource.com, steves-digicams.com, trade mags, etc., and most places recommend the Olympus over all the others. I had originally decided on the Canon because I love the form factor and how it feels in my hands but then started to read lots of negative things about it in terms of build quality and picture problems (noise, purple, etc.) so I'm thinking about splurging for the Nikon.

Note: I have been a Nikon 35mm SLR user for over 25 years.

Rhys
07-09-2004, 07:26 AM
I'm in pretty must the same situation.

I'm a long-term FM user (14 years). I was looking at the Canon S1, Nikon 5700, Nikon 8700 and D70.

I value pocket portability so my Nikon 3100 is excellent for that. I like macro and my Nikon 995 does that well too.

The D70 looks a great camera. I'm not so keen on yet another proprietry battery type though.

The problem with the all-in-one cameras is that one's restricted to the maximum length allowed (I don't like supplementary lenses). Having said that, if one estimates that the average focal lengths used in normal photography go from 28mm up to 400mm then anything covering that range seems ideal. That is, until one suddenly finds one needs a 600mm lens!

Personally, having looked at it all, I'm in favour of dSLRs but I also like the longer focal-length all-in-ones.

I suspect at the end of the day that as long as one has a film camera with lenses capable of taking the longer lengths, that all-in-ones might be more popular.

Thus far though, build-quality is still lacking on many of the all-in-one's.

jamison55
07-09-2004, 08:01 AM
Sounds like a good question for those who chose between a D60 and a G5 three years ago. Who is still happy with the chosen camera and who has "upgraded"?

D70FAN
07-09-2004, 02:40 PM
1. Given the choices listed definately go for the D70.

2. RAW works fine. Avoid TIFF at all costs (D70 uses RAW). RAW is, what it says: The RAW sensor image. This allows you to make up for almost any mistake (except overexposure) in post processing without loss of quality.

3. If your lens collection includes AF-D, G, or S then you can use them on the D70.

I am trying to be fair here, but if you can afford a dSLR, and don't require a pocket camera, then you only have one decision to make. Nikon D70 or Canon dReb?

BWV565
07-12-2004, 07:42 AM
I ended up purchasing the D70 because I already had a (somewhat minor but nonetheless significant) investment in Nikkor lenses. Feature for feature, and judging on the reviews and messages and recommendations from others, I felt this was the best choice, even though it was $500 over the Olympus 8080 or the Canon Rebel or Canon Pro 1. So far, just in preliminary 'getting to know you' phase of the camera, I love it. Was an excellent choice.

I also purchased a nice tripod and the Canon CP-330 photo printer (PictBridge). So I hope I'm all set now for the next 20 years. We'll see.

D70FAN
07-12-2004, 08:54 AM
"I also purchased a nice tripod and the Canon CP-330 photo printer (PictBridge). So I hope I'm all set now for the next 20 years. We'll see."

My we are optimistic. Good choices. The printer may have to be replaced a little sooner. The D70 may actually still be in use in 2024. ;)