PDA

View Full Version : Nikon d-50 Shutter release problem

Camera3liz
08-06-2005, 06:05 PM
Shutter Release on new Nikon D-50 won't release on automatic mode or other combinations, sometimes. Then it does. Then, when Iam trying to take shots of my child, it won't budge. Why is this? The manual reasons do not seem to apply, and in automatic, the camera should automatically be in focus, as I use auto-focus, as well. Thanks.

Warin
08-07-2005, 10:27 AM
Make sure the camera is getting a focus lock. Even if you are using autofocus, the camera often wont fire the shutter if there is no focus lock. this can happen if there is not enough contrast for the camera to find focus, if you are within the minimum focus distance of the lens, or if you have inadvertantly adjusted the camera to use a different focus zone, but are still trying to focus to the centre of the lens (I have done this occasionally).

Camera3liz
08-08-2005, 05:31 PM
Hi--Thanks for your reply. I took the camera back to camera store here in DC and it turns out it was defective. They went through everything. Guy said it was something electronic in the lens that malfunctioned--that it was very sensitive. Hmm....

D70FAN
08-08-2005, 05:46 PM
Hi--Thanks for your reply. I took the camera back to camera store here in DC and it turns out it was defective. They went through everything. Guy said it was something electronic in the lens that malfunctioned--that it was very sensitive. Hmm....

Sounds like a sales person who didn't have anything better to say, but felt the need to say something.

That doesn't mean the camera was defective. If it was a lens malfunction did he try another lens? :rolleyes: or replace the whole kit?

thesween
08-09-2005, 04:21 PM
Doesn't matter much what the problem was, I love sales reps who just replace instead of sending your camera out for evaluation and repair. If it is a focus lock problem, great, you can correct that and have yourself a brand new camera. Sounds like a winner to me...

Bill Hood
02-04-2006, 06:54 PM
Shutter Release on new Nikon D-50 won't release on automatic mode or other combinations, sometimes. Then it does. Then, when Iam trying to take shots of my child, it won't budge. Why is this? The manual reasons do not seem to apply, and in automatic, the camera should automatically be in focus, as I use auto-focus, as well. Thanks.

I had the same problem. I couldn't get the problem to duplicate itself, but at every session sometimes it would fire and other times not. There was no explaination in the manual. I could usually get it to work by shifting to Manual Focus, then back to Auto Focus, but not always. I took the camera back to the dealer but the repair tech couldn't get it to malfunction.

A few days ago, another photographer who has the same Nikon D50 asked about the problem and it seems that she has the same problem. We traded lenses, we put on digital lenses, non-digital lenses, Nikkor and Tamron lenses and still had the problem.

Today, after a particularly difficult session shooting a 5 member band and having the problem occur over and over, we both took our cameras to the local dealer. The tech couldn't get the problem to occur, but everytime I put either camera in my hand it seemed that every forth or fifth time, the camera would not fire.

Here is what happens. The camera is in Auto Focus. I press halfway down to focus and the lens tries to lock on, there is a "clunk" which sounds like the mirror locking but I can still see through the viewfinder. The lens will focus on the object, then back off slightly and throw the image out of focus, which means that the camera will not take the photo. This happens regardless of whether I am in M, A, S, P or Auto. My friend's camera has the same problem.

Any suggestions?

Bill Hood

K1W1
02-04-2006, 07:22 PM
Certainly sounds like it faulty to me.
Just out of interest are you using AF-C or AF-S focus mode?
If you are in AF-C the camera should fire even if it's not focussed.

Bill Hood
02-04-2006, 08:22 PM
Certainly sounds like it faulty to me.
Just out of interest are you using AF-C or AF-S focus mode?
If you are in AF-C the camera should fire even if it's not focussed.

No, actually, my D50 will not fire if the camera is on Auto-Focus and the lens is not in focus. Since reading your response I have set the camera in all three modes, AF-A, AF-S and AF-C and the shutter release will not function if the lens is not in focus when the lens is set on AF.

K1W1
02-04-2006, 10:40 PM
I assume that you have the camera body set to Auto focus as well.

drew_viii
02-11-2006, 05:08 AM
i had the same problems too, just got my D50 yesterday, and wondering if its normal, guess eveybody had the same problem. i think its normal isnt it? cuz if its not normal, i better go changed it right away... anyways, i had other solution for this, ive check the manual, and there is a subject regarding auto-focus, saying that we can use the focus lock by pressing the shutter button halfway, then move it to the subject your taking? i dont know if its correct, but this workds fine with me... try it out, maybe itll fix it, but if cant, plz respond to this thread and tell me its its really a malfunction

and its normal to have the noise inside the D50 right?

K1W1
02-11-2006, 05:22 AM
and its normal to have the noise inside the D50 right?

That is perfectly normal. It's the internal mechanism that orients the camera for vertical or horizontal images. It's a little ball bearing that floats around and makes an electrical contact to tell the camera where the bottom of an image is.

This question gets asked about once a week it seems.

mikelikesit
02-14-2006, 09:28 PM
I had the same problem. I couldn't get the problem to duplicate itself, but at every session sometimes it would fire and other times not. There was no explaination in the manual. I could usually get it to work by shifting to Manual Focus, then back to Auto Focus, but not always. I took the camera back to the dealer but the repair tech couldn't get it to malfunction.

This seems like a fairly serious problem... Are a lot of people having this? Has anyone figured it out yet?

I was thinking about buying a D50 soon but if this is common I think I will reconsider.....

pakazzo
08-08-2006, 12:08 PM
I have just had a problem very similar some minutes ago and after a small search i figured out it was a bit comun.

I had my D50 since February, and i have taken more than 15,000 photos in diferent conditions, with diferent lenses. Today i had an autofocus problem i couldnīt solve. The Af was set on in menu, same on body. When i pressed fire, the picture it actualy takes, but no AF going on. I looked if it was the lense, and try with other 2(DX and no DX), and same problem(no autofocus alive, not movement at all). Even i try to moved manually to see if it was lock or unlock , and it was lock, so there was no explanation at all.

I leave it rest for five minutes, and it worked. But im now worried about it.

Here are some other info about the momento of problem:
-My batery was not full, and i think and hope, that was the problem(it was like 2/4).
-I was switching from a Nikon Enle3a(2/4 charge) to a Generic Enle3a(almost discharged), because i had no charger with me at the moment.
-I have just used it with my SB-800.I thought that was the problem but have same results with it and with out it, on and off.

Please give me options and if know about any similar case, let me know. Thanks all.

I can take it to nikon, but i live in Peru and my warranty is for US, so i prefer to solved the problem by my own, or take it to US in two month to ask for a replacement.