PDA

View Full Version : Extended warranties?

hollidunn
08-06-2005, 04:30 PM
Hi there! I'm new here. I hope you don't mind me asking this here. Currently I am researching dSLR's and have decided to buy a Nikon. Which one, D70, D70s, or D50 is still undecided. I am leaning towards the D70 at this moment....although it changes every hour or so. ;)

I was at Best Buy last night checking them out. I thought maybe it would be safer to purchase one at a store along with the extended warranty so that I can take it and have it repaired or whatever in person. But I saw that I can get a much better deal (and without the kit if I want) online. I saw that Norman Camera has the D70, with the kit or without for quite a bit less than Best buy or circuit city AND they offer extended warranties. Did anyone buy an extended warranty for your camera? Best Buy has a deal where you get a new battery replacement every year plus cleaning every 6 months. It was 150 or something like that. I did just read all the negative comments on cust service at Best Buy however.

Thanks for your help! I've enjoyed reading this forum, and have learned quite a bit so far.

Holli

D70FAN
08-07-2005, 01:22 PM
Hi there! I'm new here. I hope you don't mind me asking this here. Currently I am researching dSLR's and have decided to buy a Nikon. Which one, D70, D70s, or D50 is still undecided. I am leaning towards the D70 at this moment....although it changes every hour or so. ;)

I was at Best Buy last night checking them out. I thought maybe it would be safer to purchase one at a store along with the extended warranty so that I can take it and have it repaired or whatever in person. But I saw that I can get a much better deal (and without the kit if I want) online. I saw that Norman Camera has the D70, with the kit or without for quite a bit less than Best buy or circuit city AND they offer extended warranties. Did anyone buy an extended warranty for your camera? Best Buy has a deal where you get a new battery replacement every year plus cleaning every 6 months. It was 150 or something like that. I did just read all the negative comments on cust service at Best Buy however.

Thanks for your help! I've enjoyed reading this forum, and have learned quite a bit so far.

Holli

I bought my D70 from Norman Camera, but without the extended warranty. I did have an exposure circuit problem within warranty, so it was painless, but made me think twice about the extended warranty. For the extra $100 or $150 it might be worth a couple of extra years of coverage, more-so for a fairly expensive camera.

Just read the warranty carefully to make sure that it covers all manner of defects.

cleo
09-06-2005, 10:08 AM

Holli

I am not sure...I have purchsed a camera online from Ritz before with a warranty and had problems...I an uneasy now with an online purchase.