PDA

View Full Version : Bent Pin on D100 Camera Body - HELP!

Petersod
08-04-2005, 10:14 PM
I borrowed a friend's D100 and I bent a pin (the metal pins where the lens connects to the lens and locks on) on the camera body when I changed lenses. Is this covered under a MACK warranty? Or is this manually fixable? What do you suggest? Has anyone ever had this happen? Thanks for any help, I'm really bent out of shape over this.

TheObiJuan
08-04-2005, 10:27 PM
Check your warranty documentation or call them to find out if it's under warranty.
The best way to get a response is not to cross-post, by the way. ;)

Petersod
08-05-2005, 10:35 AM
I reviewed the MACK warranty and it states that it only fixes "Manufacturing Problems" with the camera, such as the LCD going out, electronic malfunction, etc. But since this problem was caused by me attaching a lens, I'm guessing they don't cover it. I've also read HORROR stories of people sending their camera to the MACK repair center in New Jersey and not seeing their camera for 6 weeks! Along with many complaints that the camera was never even fixed.

I called a local repair shop (here in Chicago) and they knew all about this kind of thing. They said I need to replace the aperature ring and it would cost $271 and it would take 2-3 days. I screwed up and now I've got to pay. I'm going to go through the local repair place and not roll the dice with MACK. The more I think about it, that warranty is pretty useless.

D70FAN
08-05-2005, 04:31 PM
I reviewed the MACK warranty and it states that it only fixes "Manufacturing Problems" with the camera, such as the LCD going out, electronic malfunction, etc. But since this problem was caused by me attaching a lens, I'm guessing they don't cover it. I've also read HORROR stories of people sending their camera to the MACK repair center in New Jersey and not seeing their camera for 6 weeks! Along with many complaints that the camera was never even fixed.

I called a local repair shop (here in Chicago) and they knew all about this kind of thing. They said I need to replace the aperature ring and it would cost $271 and it would take 2-3 days. I screwed up and now I've got to pay. I'm going to go through the local repair place and not roll the dice with MACK. The more I think about it, that warranty is pretty useless.

Yup. That is truely a bummer. Have you asked Nikon what they would charge for the same repair? General turn time for Nikon is 7 working days. If it is cheaper it might be worthwhile.

You might also want to find out the cost of the aperture ring and look into replacing it yourself.