PDA

View Full Version : Nikon D2x-a Novice!

Greenwilly
08-04-2005, 02:32 AM
Hi Everyone,

I just made the leap from the Fujifilm S2 to the Nikon D2x and I'm still at the bottom of the learning curve.

I shoot alot of weddings, but am sticking with the S2 until I feel confident with the Nikon. If anyone could rtecommend basic settings for me, I'd REALLY appreciate it. Like, I've never shot RAW?NEFF before, but really don't need huge file sizes generally. Typically, I shoot on Fine at 3024 on the Fuji, giving me 17MB files and allowing me about 400 shots on a 1GB CF Card. I don't understand what I'd ever want to have the camera record BOTH NEFF and JPEG files...Other settings I've heard conflicting reports on are the Sharpening, Colour, Tone settings.....If any of you can help me out, I'd appreciate it.

A main reason for not using the camera is that I can't use my Metz 70 MZ-5 or 54 MZ-4 as Metz haven't yet come up with the right SCA adapter. I hate to retire the gear, but feel pushed now into buying the SB-800. I gather it's a fine gun and perhaps would do the camera the best justice?

Lastly, I feel kinda' miffed that Nikon would supply the expensive camera without the full version of their Capture software. I expect to get into shooting in RAW mode but would like to know if any of you out there would recommend that I go ahead the buy the Nikon software or buy an independent manufacturer's software?

Thanks very much,

Greenwilly
Dublin, Ireland.

Warin
08-04-2005, 09:36 AM
the SB 800 is a great speedlight, and while I agree that buying new kit is a drag when you already have decent stuff, the CLS is well worth the price of entry, if you build a collection of 600 and 800 units. I am aiming at having 2 SB800 and 2 SB600 units in time.

I also have to agree that it is pretty cheap not to include the full version of Capture with the D2X. Do you use Photoshop CS or CS2? If you do, there are plug ins available to deal with NEF files, and you can save yourself some money by not buying Capture.

D70FAN
08-04-2005, 12:27 PM
Hi Everyone,

I just made the leap from the Fujifilm S2 to the Nikon D2x and I'm still at the bottom of the learning curve.

I shoot alot of weddings, but am sticking with the S2 until I feel confident with the Nikon. If anyone could rtecommend basic settings for me, I'd REALLY appreciate it. Like, I've never shot RAW?NEFF before, but really don't need huge file sizes generally. Typically, I shoot on Fine at 3024 on the Fuji, giving me 17MB files and allowing me about 400 shots on a 1GB CF Card. I don't understand what I'd ever want to have the camera record BOTH NEFF and JPEG files...Other settings I've heard conflicting reports on are the Sharpening, Colour, Tone settings.....If any of you can help me out, I'd appreciate it.

A main reason for not using the camera is that I can't use my Metz 70 MZ-5 or 54 MZ-4 as Metz haven't yet come up with the right SCA adapter. I hate to retire the gear, but feel pushed now into buying the SB-800. I gather it's a fine gun and perhaps would do the camera the best justice?

Lastly, I feel kinda' miffed that Nikon would supply the expensive camera without the full version of their Capture software. I expect to get into shooting in RAW mode but would like to know if any of you out there would recommend that I go ahead the buy the Nikon software or buy an independent manufacturer's software?

Thanks very much,

Greenwilly
Dublin, Ireland.

I think you meant that the S2 JPEG's are about 1.7MB, not 17MB. Even NEF files are not that big. If you are getting 400 shots on a 1GB card that works out to about 2.5MB per image, which is about right.

That said, I suggest that you scan through articles written on the D2X over on Ron Galbraiths site but mainly start shooting just as you would using the S2 to first learn the differences at the different custom settings. It shouldn't be that much different as far as the basic settings are concerned. I have only a brief exposure to the D2X, but it didn't seem all that different even compaired to the D70, and the settings seemed to give similar results, so I would be willing to bet that you will be "converted" pretty quickly.

As far as using RAW+JPG: You might find this handy as you transition to RAW (NEF) only. I found that it was a pain storing both images, and once I developed a workflow based on RAW I quite using JPEG entirely. The amount and variety of adjustment available in NEF is simply staggering. I can't believe that you have waited this long.

As for software:

Nikon Capture is well worth the $99. Since you can use it for a 30 day trial period you should be up an running immediately.

I liked using RSE 1.1.4 (Raw Shooter Essentials) from pixmantic (free RAW/NEF processor) but it lacks a couple of the finesse functions of NC4...

http://www.pixmantec.com/index2.html

If you have photoshop CS or CS2 you can use their RAW plug-in (also free). I have to admit I like the results from Nikon Capture, but RSE and the Photoshop plug-in also work pretty well.

Finally. there is no question that the SB800, teamed with newer Nikon dSLR's, is probably the best speedlight in the industry, and the remote flash/metering control has no equal. I have only used a multiple SB600/800 flash setup once (on a tag-along for a wedding reception), and the results were incredible. After that experience, Like Warin, I plan to add a couple of SB800's to my collection for remotes.

I have a single SB800 on my D70 and I'm always impressed with the results.
So, sell the Metz flashes with the S2 and pick up a D70 for backup to your D2X. ;)

P.S. You might also want to log on over at the Nikonians site, as there are several D2X shooters over there as well.

Greenwilly
08-05-2005, 12:12 AM
Thanks Warin & George!

This is surely the finest benefit of the internet- that people like you will give so generously of your time and knowledge. I truly appreciate your advice and will proceed exactly as you suggested.

Thanks,

Greenwilly

D70FAN
08-05-2005, 06:30 AM
Thanks Warin & George!

This is surely the finest benefit of the internet- that people like you will give so generously of your time and knowledge. I truly appreciate your advice and will proceed exactly as you suggested.

Thanks,

Greenwilly

We live vicariously through your experience with the D2X. I would really like to justify the $5K to the CFO, but it was fairly difficult to justify the $1300 for the D70.

Keep us posted on your experience and progress in the changeover from the S2 to the D2X.