PDA

View Full Version : God bless the clone tool

TartanPirate
08-03-2005, 01:58 AM
I just wanted to say how much I appreciate the digital domain for repairing, improving and enhancing my photos. Being a novice I make plenty of mistakes but using a combination of a couple of editing software packages you can do wonders. Gone are the days when you had to just live with what you shot on the day or pay a fortune to a lab to sort it out. Hurrah!!

I am particularly fond of the cloning tool. I have removed people from the background of shots, moved arms out of the way and even digitally cleaned a persons face (my son had chocolate around his mouth when my wife decided to take a portrait of him :rolleyes: ) I'm getting so proficient at it that my wife has started pointing friends at me. Sometimes I can help, sometimes not.

Of course you can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear and 30 seconds more thought on location can save you 30 minutes on the PC but it's fantastic to be able to get rid of those little irritations you didn't spot that can ruin an otherwise great photo.

TheObiJuan
08-03-2005, 08:56 AM
Indeed, it has become much easier to 'fix' and adjust photos. I find myself being spending the extra 30 seconds to avoid the PP. Post processing should be something I use as an emergerncy, not part of the workflow, other than converting from RAW, of course.

aparmley
08-03-2005, 01:19 PM
Some one said clone tool? Are they for sale now?

LOL - I just finished reading an article on the dog that was successfully cloned... they named it snuppy...

Warin
08-03-2005, 08:49 PM
The clone tool is invaluable when "spot toning" film scans. No matter how careful you are when scanning negatives, you will get dust spots, and the clone tool and healing brush become your best friends. Have you ever hand spotted a print made in a dusty darkroom? *shudders* ;)