PDA

View Full Version : Kodak P850 -- Anyone seen this yet?

bluevolume
08-02-2005, 09:22 AM
This new camera looks incredible. http://www.kodak.com/eknec/PageQuerier.jhtml?pq-path=7393&pq-locale=en_US (if the link doesn't work, just go to the Kodak site and you'll find it).

Its supposed to be available next month, I can't wait to check one out.

nitr0uzv
08-02-2005, 11:21 AM
Its like an s2 with more features

however the p880 camera just looks so extremely hiddious!

even though it is hiddious id get it over the panasonic fz30

now theres the competition betweeen S2 H1 and P850

im guessing kodak waited to see what other people said about the h1 and s2 and improved it into their own camera :)

bluevolume
08-02-2005, 11:50 AM
I just bought my S2 -- my first non-Kodak digicam, and I'm having fun with it so far. But this new Kodak player is making me re-think buying the Canon.

You said that Kodak improved on the S2 -- what did you see that was better?

John Wales
08-02-2005, 05:20 PM
Below are links to the User Manuals, in PDF format, for the new Kodak Cameras.

P850 6.8 MB
http://www.kodak.com/global/en/service/products/ekn030485.jhtml?pq-path=7546

P880 6.4 MB
http://www.kodak.com/global/en/service/products/ekn030484.jhtml?pq-path=7493

You have to hunt a bit, but its there.

tim11
08-02-2005, 06:28 PM
Looks like Kodak means business. Also there are some new ultra compacts with 3x optical zoom as well. :)

Rex914
08-02-2005, 08:17 PM
I'm glad that Kodak is taking on the higher end range. It's also cool to finally see another ultra-wide point and shoot. So far, there's only been one game in town, and Nikon's 8400 didn't quite cut it.

speaklightly
08-03-2005, 04:58 AM
Rex-

I agree with you 100%. It is very nice indeed to have another ultra wide angle camera on the market. I am not sure how large the market really is, but it is nice to have a choice.

Perhaps this is a good signal that Kodak wants to expand their camera line. The needed something a bit more serious than the DX-6490 and the DX-7590 and their brethern.

Sarah Joyce

Vlad
08-03-2005, 12:34 PM
:( Too bad that P850 lacks AF-assist lamp. Low light focusing might be a problem...

ARROWHEAD
08-07-2005, 08:37 PM
however the p880 camera just looks so extremely hiddious!

When did a camera become a fashion statement. Be sure to get one the goes with your purse.

Gacha
08-08-2005, 08:16 AM
My God how long i`ve been waiting for you P850! I liked DX 7590 very much, I was attracted to its picture colors and clarity, sharpness, but it had lots of downsides too as the lack of IS, some redness in colors etc:( . I tried Sony H1 - very good camera, but Kodak pic quality i still liked better, then i tried Canon S2 - even worse than Sony, sorry Canon S2 fans, i think this camera is being overrated by having its famous video mode. So I hoped that Kodak will release soon some new ultra zoom camera with IS! Thank God it didn`t take long. Perfect.

Argelius
08-16-2005, 03:43 AM
So, does anyone know when the p850 will be available? All I've heard is "coming in August". Very vague. And disappointing, not knowing when/if you are going to come. :o

I currently have a Panasonic FZ5. Great camera, but I'm always looking for something new and different. I love it's remarkably compact size. Hoping the p850 is on par with it. (I've compared the dimensions. They are close, but need to see one in person...)

ARROWHEAD
08-18-2005, 07:34 PM
Lets see...........we have 12 months in a year. KODAK said it will be coming out one of those 12 months. The month they chose for release is AUGUST. Whats so "very vague" about that? Did you need the time and day? Don't hope for to much, as you will be disapointed, how disapionting is that.

Argelius
08-19-2005, 03:27 AM
Well, yes. Day and time would be nice. Thank you very much.
:rolleyes:

jdr1234
08-30-2005, 08:58 PM
I had to take my 2 year old Olympus Stylus camera in for repair today (opening the protective sliding door would not make lens come out to take pics) at Best Buy. I then proceeded to look at the digital cameras that they had in stock. I have been seriously considering the Kodak DX-7590, but happened to see the Kodak P850. The sales guy told me it came in two days ago, and they didn't even had a price on it. He checked on the price, and it was $499.00 USD. This camera has a much better "feel" than the 7590 does, and has a better zoom (12x) along with image stabilization. I plan on upgrading to this camera very soon!

Has anyone purchased one yet, and, if so, do you like it?

Anthony Vargis
09-05-2005, 06:53 AM
Well i was looking at the z7590 since my wifes cousin has one and she gave it to me for a weekend down the beach since imm the electronics person in the family she wanted me to figure out the camera for her...well let me tell you i really liked the z7590 the buirst modes were very kewl and the picture quality was good,she has taken the camera to south america to machu picu the ancient city of the incas and she dont know a damn thing about the camera and she took some great pictures,also the z7590 has been to africa and alaska but anyway it was my birthday yesterday so i went to get myself a camera well i was looking at getting the z7590 and the salesperson was under the counter and the z7590 comes with printerdock and all now so i see this smaller box and i see 12x optical zoom and IS imm like hey what camera is that!Salesguy like i dont know itsa new one well the price was 499 so i picked it up....plus allways good to get something better then everyone elses:)So i have had the camera for only 2 days now one thing i wish was that the macro rangew was smaller then 10cm i do enjoy taking pictures of wild looking bugs and stuff but let me say that the p850 blows the 7590 outta the water so far i havent touched what this camera can do but we had a party last night outside and took many pictures just on the automatic setting and i couldnt even see what i was shooting at and the poictures came out perfectly focused so ide say the low light focusing is great so if ya like the z7590 this is definitly a step and a half above that.Like i said though i have only had the camera for 2 days but so far imm very very impressed.And the printer dock 3 i have prints out better photos then if i took them to the store to get printed i cant see a damn pixel on the prints truely amazing.

Argelius
09-05-2005, 07:05 AM
Very Cool!

Can you comment on the size of the camera? How does the size compare to the 7590? I've compared the specs online, but I am curious how the camera "feels" sizewise.

I currently have a Panasonic FZ5 (with 12x zoom) and it is remarkably small. Its specs compared to the Kodak 850 look significantly smaller. Since a small camera is important to me, I'm afraid the 850 will be too big. (I know it's all relative...)

Just curious on your thoughts about how compact the camera is from a practical standpoint.

Thanks!

PS if you could post a picture of it in your hand or something, that would be cool... :cool:

Argelius
09-05-2005, 01:01 PM
So, I ran down to my local Best Buy to check out the Kodak p850 (and took a couple camera phone pictures. It's a pretty big camera...

Atindra
09-05-2005, 04:04 PM
Hi,
From the images which you posted, it doesnt seem pretty big. I think its just right size for long zoom camera. And the hand which I saw holding a camera was big enough to hold it very comfortably.
Dimensions:
FZ-5;108 x 68 x 85 mm (4.3 x 2.7 x 3.3 in), weight 326 g (with battery)
P-850; 108.0mm [ 4.3] (W) x 84.2mm [ 3.3] (H) x 72.0mm [ 2.8] (L) @ power-off state
Weight: 403 g (without battery and memory card)
You can see sizes are exactly same almost and weight is little more though.
Atindra

Mato34
09-09-2005, 09:52 AM
Hi all

I'm making (and trying to maintain updated) a web page dedicated to the new P-series cameras. It started a little randomly, but there it is:

http://perso.wanadoo.es/kodakpseries/

As the page growns from what people says (at this moment is the only we have), reading at the forums and taking that photos and those comments is the way the page grows. Take it as an "index page", as soon as first reviews appear it will be a bit useless.

Un saludo.

bubbawilly
09-14-2005, 05:00 PM
I just picked one of these up today and noticed two things radically different from my 6490. First, the EVF and LCD flicker when I depress the release button half way to focus. I don't mean flicker slightly and quickly, but the light intensity of either screen changes quite noticably 3 or 4 times before the autofocus locks on, and when it does, it stays at an intensity that is quite a bit darker than the normal intensity of the screen. The other difference is that the autofocus takes quite a bit longer than the 6490. I'm talking about 1.5 seconds to focus indoors under normal lighting.

Kodak tech support doesn't have a clue. When I told them what I was comparing this camera to (my 6490), they said "...well the 6490 is a higher quality camera. It has a 10x lens, doesn't it?" :rolleyes:

Anyone else have these problems???

aragorn0404
09-24-2005, 06:27 AM
I think there are more similarities between the P850 and Sony H1 than just the 2.5" LCD Display. The overall dimensions are nearly identical, as are their shapes, and even the IS Lens housing is virtually the identical size. The Flash on both units pops up as deemed appropriate by the light conditions & camera settings, and they have some other similar menu structures and features.

The P850 seems to have more settings/options, and of the Displays I like it the most (being able to see all at the same time and control ones appropriate of Shooting mode, Aperture, Shutter speed, Exposure compensation, separate Flash compensation, ISO speed). I like the extra "Set" button for and the position of the jog dial on the P850 (as I could see accidentally moving the jog dial on the H1), however it does introduce an extra step.

Also, to change some functions requires going thru an extra layer of a menu or control (where other cameras including the H1, Canon S2 IS, and Kodak Z740 allow you to directly scroll thru the options with the use of a single button). The centralization of some of the P850 capabilities seems to have gone overboard to the extent where some changes are more complex to make than they should/could be, but then after getting use to them, one should always know how to make the change (since they're similar).

Bob

Argelius
09-24-2005, 06:34 AM
Has anyone seen any detailed reviews of this camera yet? Curious how it wil compare with my Panasonic FZ5....

bubbawilly
09-24-2005, 05:45 PM
I think there are more similarities between the P850 and Sony H1 than just the 2.5" LCD Display. The overall dimensions are nearly identical, as are their shapes, and even the IS Lens housing is virtually the identical size. The Flash on both units pops up as deemed appropriate by the light conditions & camera settings, and they have some other similar menu structures and features.

The P850 seems to have more settings/options, and of the Displays I like it the most (being able to see all at the same time and control ones appropriate of Shooting mode, Aperture, Shutter speed, Exposure compensation, separate Flash compensation, ISO speed). I like the extra "Set" button for and the position of the jog dial on the P850 (as I could see accidentally moving the jog dial on the H1), however it does introduce an extra step.

Also, to change some functions requires going thru an extra layer of a menu or control (where other cameras including the H1, Canon S2 IS, and Kodak Z740 allow you to directly scroll thru the options with the use of a single button). The centralization of some of the P850 capabilities seems to have gone overboard to the extent where some changes are more complex to make than they should/could be, but then after getting use to them, one should always know how to make the change (since they're similar).

Bob

I agree about the physical similarities between the 2 cameras. I'm not familiar with the Sony's system, but I agree wholeheartedly with your comments about the Kodak's convoluted feature access system. It will be far to complicated to access advanced features for the average Joe, and even the experienced will have problems.

I took about a dozen pics in the Colorado mountains this past weekend, and all were overexposed (using the "Auto" setting) and softly focused. I'll be returning the Kodak and giving the Panasonic a go. Too bad, as the Kodak had so much potential.

BigCTM
09-25-2005, 07:40 AM
If you want a camera that takes great pictures right out of the box, you should buy a point and shoot like the Canon SD550, not a camera like the P850 or the Panasonic FZ5. These kind of cameras will require a little tweaking and a little practice to get the best pictures.

bubbawilly
09-25-2005, 11:36 AM
If you want a camera that takes great pictures right out of the box, you should buy a point and shoot like the Canon SD550, not a camera like the P850 or the Panasonic FZ5. These kind of cameras will require a little tweaking and a little practice to get the best pictures.

I do expect a camera to take great pictures in its scene appropriate auto modes, and not be overexposed and poorly focused.

From the reviews that I've read, the Panasonic does not suffer from these deficiencies.

BTW, the Kodak does not allow any "tweaking" it its auto or scene modes. You get what you get, and with my camera, it was poorly focused, overexposed shots. Practice would have no affect on the outcome, not that I need much after 30 years of photography. ;)

Atindra
09-25-2005, 02:05 PM
I do expect a camera to take great pictures in its scene appropriate auto modes, and not be overexposed and poorly focused.

From the reviews that I've read, the Panasonic does not suffer from these deficiencies.

BTW, the Kodak does not allow any "tweaking" it its auto or scene modes. You get what you get, and with my camera, it was poorly focused, overexposed shots. Practice would have no affect on the outcome, not that I need much after 30 years of photography. ;)

Yours is one of the first bad review I read about P850. On dpreview and steve's forums there are lots of P850 images posted in Kodak talk forums and they are great.
I guess your camera might have some problems, have you tried to replace that with a new one?
Atindra

Atindra
09-25-2005, 10:58 PM
Here are some threads from another forums to show the images from the capable P850
http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/view_topic.php?id=69098&forum_id=18
http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/view_topic.php?id=68670&forum_id=18
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1011&message=15178319
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1011&message=15164100
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1011&message=15161715
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1011&message=15155724
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1011&message=15160121
I guess this helps most people who wanted to see something from P850.
Atindra

bubbawilly
09-26-2005, 07:10 AM
Yours is one of the first bad review I read about P850. On dpreview and steve's forums there are lots of P850 images posted in Kodak talk forums and they are great.
I guess your camera might have some problems, have you tried to replace that with a new one?
Atindra

Could be that I have a defective camera. I am having some EVF/LCD issues that no one else seems to be talking about.

However, the pics over on the dpreview forum that compare jpeg to tiff images is exactly what I am seeing. In jpeg images the highlights and contrast are overblown, regardless of scene mode. I've seen images that seem to be a bit soft focused as well, although at computer resolutions it is a bit hard to say for sure.

Thanks for the links!

Atindra
09-26-2005, 08:40 AM
I think you can check another asap. Almost everybody is impressed with LCD/EVF however most reported blurred LCD/EVF during fast zooming. In the same thread where JPEGVs Tiff were compared, the poster has posted another jpeg which is more accurately exposed. You can check it.
Atindra