PDA

View Full Version : A95 and children?

spedprof
09-18-2004, 10:45 AM
Folks,

Just read a mostly very positive review of the A95. However, it did mention the need to have the subject "hold it for a minute" when using the flash. As a newbie that is leaning toward getting the A95 to use with, among other subjects a new grandchild, is that caution a dealbraker or are most similarly priced point and shoot cameras going to have the same issue? Also, is another mention of excessive redeye with the A95 so extreme to push me towards another model or manufacterer?

Thanks in advance

Billiam
09-18-2004, 09:54 PM
Point'n'shoots are small and convenient, but speed is rarely their strong suit. I have a friend who's the father of two young children. He bought a Nikon 4500 a year or two back, and is tired of missing shots of his very active kids while the camera tries to get a focus lock. He's decided his next camera will be a Nikon D70 DSLR, because it's the only camera that will let him grab off a candid shot with essentially no delay. The SLR should also have less problem with redeye than a compact. The tradeoffs are size (DSLR's are huge!) and $$$.

All cameras are compromises. The A95 should be a good camera for what it is. If it's right for you only you can say, and you'll probably only know the answer after you've used it for a while!

Homer's Brain
09-18-2004, 11:42 PM
There is a delay, but you can decrease that by doing one or two (or both) things...

1. Half-pressing the button will initiate the auto focus and prime the flash. When you press it fully from half-press, it will take a picture faster.

2. Learn about and practice with the AV and Tv settings, learn which apertures and shutter speeds and ISO's work well in an environment. Then select those and you'll be half way there.

Alot of the delay is the 'doing the calculations so you don't have to'. I have yet to come across a PaS camera that doesn't have this kind of delay (especially in this price range).