PDA

View Full Version : 20d

LoveOfSelene
09-18-2004, 08:18 AM
Has anyone received their Canon 20D yet?
How’s it compared to the 10D?

~LoveOfSelene

sheshoots
09-20-2004, 07:08 PM
The 20D is my second choice. It's in stock here but if I was going that deep I'd go with the 10D since it's waterproof. I plan on spending time in sloughs, snow and rain.

Curious to hear what owners have to say.

sheshoots

Jeff Keller
09-20-2004, 07:15 PM
The 20D is my second choice. It's in stock here but if I was going that deep I'd go with the 10D since it's waterproof. I plan on spending time in sloughs, snow and rain.

I don't think that's right... neither the 10D nor 20D are waterproof.

mikejulius102
09-21-2004, 05:35 AM
I picked up my 20d yesterday, not overly impressed. I cant get a good sharp pic even with my IS on. If any body who reads this reply has a thought I would like to know
:mad:

D70FAN
09-21-2004, 06:29 AM
I picked up my 20d yesterday, not overly impressed. I cant get a good sharp pic even with my IS on. If any body who reads this reply has a thought I would like to know

Mike, it always helps if you post an example. Also are you shooting in Auto, Tv, Av, Manual?

You might want to check to see that in-camera sharpening is set correctly as well, and give manual focusing (with IS off) a try to make sure that the lens is working correctly.

LoveOfSelene
09-21-2004, 12:03 PM

I agree w/ Jeff...i believe it's the Mark II that is waterproof.

Yes, Mike you should post a picture so that we can see what u mean by not sharp. Oh and what Lens u using? the 17-85mm IS USM?

~LoveOfSelene

D70FAN
09-21-2004, 12:45 PM
I agree w/ Jeff...i believe it's the Mark II that is waterproof.

Yes, Mike you should post a picture so that we can see what u mean by not sharp. Oh and what Lens u using? the 17-85mm IS USM?

~LoveOfSelene

None of these cameras are waterproof. They are sealed and o-ringed to help keep out moisture, dirt, and dust. I don't think that you would want to drop these in a deep puddle, or take them into the swimming pool, although they might survive after drying out. There are underwater housings and camera-bags for waterproofing. Even on pro dSLR's.

LoveOfSelene
09-21-2004, 02:22 PM
of course we wouldn't want to drop them in a puddle or any big water source :D

~Loveofselene

mikejulius102
09-21-2004, 04:09 PM
Look at the thread i started all shot with the 75-300IS usmin various modes

D70FAN
09-21-2004, 04:25 PM

Well, after looking at the pictures, I get the feeling that the aperture is set to maximum on some shots as the DOF seems very small.

If these are shot in Auto mode, you might want to check the in-camera sharpening. I addition check the AF mode as it looks like the focus point may be somewhere other than center on some shots.

Also turn the IS mode off, as these shots don't really need it.

The only other problem is the same that I had with my Nikon. The "kit" lens is not long enough for nature shots. I chose the Sigma 18-125 DC lens, and have never looked back. Your milage may vary, but adding a low cost 70-300 and a tripod or decent monopod will probably help also.

The 20D isn't a point-n-shoot, so you really have to learn how the camera works with different lenses, settings, and the limitations and work arounds. The results can be absolutely stunning, and disapointing. Most times you will say Wow! And sometimes you will mutter mean and nasty words.

mikejulius102
09-21-2004, 04:32 PM
Thanks for the tips George> The only thing I ask is why turn off the IS this is the 75-300 hand held. What the heck am i missing

D70FAN
09-21-2004, 04:46 PM
Thanks for the tips George> The only thing I ask is why turn off the IS this is the 75-300 hand held. What the heck am i missing

Sorry, since I can't see the EXIF data, I thought these were taken with the shorter wide angle zoom "kit" lens. If you are using the Canon EF 75-300mm f/4.0-5.6 IS USM lens, then by all means leave the IS function on.

I also just noticed that you did call out the lens after the URL pointer.

Mike Woods
09-22-2004, 12:01 PM
Mike, I have this same lens on the digital rebel and some of my photos look like yours. This is what I have learned and I hope maybe it helps you. First, you have to keep in mind the digital conversion when setting your shutter speed. The dreb has a 1.6 times multiplier on the focal lenth, actually making it a 120 to 480 mm lens, so to get sharp images your shutter speed needs to be at least 1/100 of a second, and much, much faster for action wildlife shots, at least 1/500 at full zoom. Second, this lens needs a lot of light, and with the high shutter speed, this means the iso has to be set higher, which introduces noise. I have found that if I get the shutter speed right with plenty of light, the images are very crisp and sharp. I use Noise Ninja when shooting with iso above 100 and am getting good results. Hope this helps, as when I first got my lens I was ready to pull my hair out.

sheshoots
09-26-2004, 07:59 PM

1D.

No they aren't point and shoot. But do they ever perform once you learn to put them through their paces.

sheshoots

eagle17
09-27-2004, 07:01 PM
I just recievexd my 20D and have to say that even with the kit lens I am very impressed, I have been reading in a different forum (maybe dpreview) that a lot of people are dissatisfied with the 75-300 is usm lens.. I would have to say that when you get into that type of zoom (do not forget this camera has a 1.6 multiplier to the lens) unless you are shooting with an cannon L lens or sigma ex lens and a mono or tripod you will not get the same level of shots that you get with a standard 50mm fixed or even the 18-55 kit lens.

I agree with mike woods coments also if you are not shooting too fast of a subject then use a trypod and use mirror lockup. that should remove any vibrations also use a plunger to snap the picture... i know that wildlife does not afford you these types of shots but you should see a huge improvement.