PDA

View Full Version : Canon G6 or A95

the.cicaks
09-18-2004, 05:21 AM
I made my choice, i.e. almost.... It's going to be the Canon G6 or the A95.
I read all the reviews but cannot make a choice. I'm quite aware of the advantages and disadvantages of both cameras but the thing I'm most interested in is picture quality. It looks like the A95 makes better macro pictures, but at the same time the A95 looks noisier and has more purple fringing than G6. Does anybody knows which camera makes better pictures?
Please help me to make my choice.
:confused: :confused:

Alnath
09-18-2004, 01:49 PM
You take the pictures not the camera :)

The G6 offers the better image quality i took a few macro shots yesterday on my G6, you can see them here http://alnath.fotopic.net/c289648.html but they are heavily compressed so please dont take what you see as a reference to image quality, only macro ability. I have yet to find a situation where purple fringing is evident using my G6, on my A80 it stood out a mile.

EDIT:

This thread http://www.dcresource.com/forums/showthread.php?t=913 gives a good idea of the G6 image quality.

Javair
09-18-2004, 10:46 PM
Pro's like Jeff (this site's creator) do take a very good macro shot with the G6. I do believe the G6 does a better job in overal detail or clarity. Again, I am judging t his on sample shots from this site and from Steve's Digicams.

Homer's Brain
09-19-2004, 12:47 AM
Obviously the G6 has some very advantageous poitns about it (the flash shoe, remote capability I think, better lenses, features, etc)...but it's almost twice as much. If you can afford it, get what you can afford that gets you the most for your money.

Of course, when you step up to the G6, you're not far off from a Digital Rebel...and then a D10...and then a D1 Mark II hehe

Alnath
09-19-2004, 03:24 AM
Pro's like Jeff (this site's creator) do take a very good macro shot with the G6. I do believe the G6 does a better job in overal detail or clarity. Again, I am judging t his on sample shots from this site and from Steve's Digicams.

Thing is you would expect a pro to get good shots, its their job. Shots from Mr Normal doing it for a hobby are a better repesentation of the cameras abitlity cos they tend to be warts and all.

FWIW the G6 seems to spend a lot of time hunting for a focus lock in low light and subjects at distance, it is much worse in those situations than my A80 ever was.

Javair
09-19-2004, 03:32 PM
Pros verses Mr. Normal. Yep. Very good point.

Actually, I had not looked at the samples for a week or two (back when I was drooling for a new camera). I found that I errored in previous posts when I wrote that I thought the 7MP G6 did much better than the A95. CanonManiac and others thought I was off-base and that there was similar purple fringing in both, but possibly more noise in the G6.

Well, I had gotten myself confused when I bookmarked the samples. When I was raving about 7MP samples from the G6, I was actually (accidentally) looking at samples from the 7MP Canon S70. So, my apologies all. Now that I am looking at the CORRECT samples, I agree with CanonManiac: The G6 is just a bit noisy.

Well, might have just saved myself a couple hundred dollars, as I have to purchase one by the end of the month.

But, I don't like the form of the S70. Gotta have a swivel screen an more.
And, as Anlath pointed out, the great looking shots from the S70 that I like were taken by a pro. Hmmmmmm....

Alnath
09-20-2004, 09:20 AM
I took this yesterday http://alnath.fotopic.net/p7697184.html and i was really pleased/surprised to see no purple fringing on it.

bibby
09-20-2004, 03:18 PM
I took this yesterday http://alnath.fotopic.net/p7697184.html and i was really pleased/surprised to see no purple fringing on it.

Why would you be surprised when it's not in the same price/quality range as A95?

Alnath
09-21-2004, 08:12 AM
Why would you be surprised when it's not in the same price/quality range as A95?

Have you seen the purple fringing on a G5?