PDA

View Full Version : Best SD Card for Panasonic FZ20?

ChrisBP
09-18-2004, 03:37 AM
Hi
I have had several digital cameras and still have a Pentax, but wanted something new, maybe a "big boys toy". Had an Olympus C700 UZ about 3 years ago and loved the 10x Zoom (but hated the low light performance), so sold it on.

So figured going for a big zoom was where I should start. After weeks researching the best all round camera to buy, I came up with the Panasonic FZ20 or the Canon S1 IS. The Canon is much cheaper, so ended up getting a mate bring me one back from the states (to the UK). Unpacked it, powered it up.......and hated it. Loads of little niggly things that I didnt like, but Focus in lowish (normal indoor light) was rubbish and the tiny screen was not nice. Played with it for a couple of hours, then packed it all up again and wacked it straight on E-Bay. Sold it same day as "used once only", got more than I paid for it and ordered an FZ20 from a UK supplier.... JOB DONE.

However the FZ20 only has the 16mb SD card. There are lots of 512mb's about on E-Bay, so I think thats what I will buy, but "What should I buy?" there are ordinary 512 Sandisk on for only 35. I have ordered a great camera in the FZ20 and what I originally wanted, I want the right SD card now....Anyone know best card at cheapest UK price.

Will write again once the FZ20 arrives...

OH, by the way, I chose the black one.....

John_Reed
09-18-2004, 08:00 AM
However the FZ20 only has the 16mb SD card. There are lots of 512mb's about on E-Bay, so I think thats what I will buy, but "What should I buy?" there are ordinary 512 Sandisk on for only 35. I have ordered a great camera in the FZ20 and what I originally wanted, I want the right SD card now....Anyone know best card at cheapest UK price.I think you'll be happier with a "high-speed" card. The "ordinary" Sandisk won't perform burst writes as quickly as will the Sandisk "UltraII" cards, or as fast as the 1GB PQI Card (http://photography.listings.ebay.co.uk/Digital-Memory_W0QQsacategoryZ18867QQsocmdZListingItemList ), which looks to be available in your country, at least per an eBay page, at 54. I have one of these, and have been well pleased with its performance, not to mention its humungous storage capacity! While I haven't made a quantitative speed comparison, I know that it writes bursts faster than my Panasonic 256MB card. (I'm shooting an FZ10, with 4MP images; you'll notice even more difference with the FZ20's 5MP images)

judge9847
09-18-2004, 02:01 PM
The SanDisk Ultra certainly does write very quickly and in burst mode on an FZ10, the 5 (max) images get stored in rapid time. I've been using a brand new 256MB SanDisk UltraII card but .........

I'd been using it to take around 250 images (holiday snaps in truth) when out of the blue, having tried to take another photo, the camera told me there was a write error. However, there was apparently, room for about another 170 or so on the card. I was using it in 1280 x 960 mode. Then, when I tried to look at the images on the camera, all I could get was the message "Read Error".

Cutting a very long story short, it's just cost me an extra $35 (about 24) to buy some software that could get to the images on the card. I'd tried SanDisks own retrieval utility and Norton Disk Doctor and the only response I could get was a complete system crash - every time. About 20 times in all - and I'm not exaggerating!!

When I did manage to get my pictures off the card and on to the PC, one image was 111,459KB in size !!!

I've done some research and apparently there are lots of problems with these SanDisk UltraII cards. I won't tell you the Google search I did to research that because I went to one site it came up with to read what it had to say and got blasted by three, THREE!!, spyware/crapware programs which have now taken me hours to get rid of. And that's through an up-to-date firewall too!!

Anyway, at one stage I really did think that I'd lost all those 250 photos. I was, frankly, in some despair until I managed to get to them. I thought then that if I'd used my 128MB cards, one would have been full a while before I'd got to the 200 mark, if that card had caused problems such that I couldn't retrieve the images, or had lost the card completely or whatever, I would have been saying goodbye to far fewer images. Bad enough, but I reckon better to lose fewer images than the huge numbers that can be got on to a 512MB or even a 1GB card.

I'm not going to buy the UltraII cards again, that's for sure. And I'll be sticking to the 128MB cards which have never caused me a problem.

buddhafinder
09-20-2004, 10:10 PM
I just bought a Kingmax 60x card at newegg.com. I tested it transfering a pile of pictures to and from my computer through a card reader (USB 2.0). I did the same with a Kingston 512 and a Sandisk 256 SD card.

The Kingmax transferred the pictures in under one second. The other cards each took 17 to 20 seconds. I had no idea that the difference would be so startling.

I got two fo the 512MB cards, but there's a 1GB adn 256MB both available. The prices are very good - $54 for the 512MB. It's called the KINGMAX 512MB Platinum 60X High Speed Secure Digital Card - Model SDC-512M3P.

Hope that helps! You can always try in Froogle for a better price, too.

ChrisBP
09-21-2004, 12:57 PM
WEll I collect my new FZ20 on Friday (just 3 days away!)

Thanks to everyone for replying with information as to the best SD card to use. The Warning about the Ultra Card was especially important, because I had strongly considered that.

I have found a card made by OPIUMEX its billed as follows:-

FASTEST WRITE AND READ SPEED SECURE DIGITAL 512MB MEMORY CARD

WRITE SPEED

Sustained = 13.7MB/sec
Burst = 20MB/sec

READ SPEED
Sustained = 10MB/sec
Burst = 20MB/sec

These cards can be purchased on E-Bay for around 40 (UK) or $70 (US) and I have checked out the manufacturers web site and the company seem fairly good.

Anyone got any experience, or even an oppinion?

Cant wait until Friday !!

MikeCamp
09-21-2004, 05:15 PM
simple :)

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=20-155-264&depa=1

DJB-30
09-26-2004, 01:09 PM
I can't believe no one has considered the Panasonic SD Cards. The Panasonic 256MB and 512MB Cards ensure write speeds (10MB/sec) faster than the Sandisk Ultra cards and to my knowledge, are not frought with the same reliability issues. Personally, I have some concern over all these new SD brands popping up. There are new factories in other countries (Taiwan, etc.) starting to show up, and no one really knows how reliable the cards are. Panasonic was a founding member of the SD Card Association, has been making them for years, has huge worldwide share, and even makes the cards for other brands. My feeling is that I store a lot of valuable images on these cards and I'd seriously consider paying a little more for the Pana cards - at least you know what you're getting.

Jeff Keller
09-26-2004, 02:38 PM
Took a four-shot burst on the FZ20. Took 10 seconds to write on my Sandisk and Kingston SD cards and just 2 seconds on a SanDisk Extreme card. :eek:

zookeeper
10-09-2004, 07:03 PM
I am fairly new at the high end digitals, but I do a lot of research before I jump into deep water. I did jump off the deep end with my FZ20. I ordered it the night before Jeff posted his review. I went to Circuit City the next morning to pick it up, brought it home and dove in head first. THEN, I signed onto DC Resource and saw Jeff's review. BOY am I glad Jeff got it right..LOL
Now as far as SD card speeds, there is definitely a difference. I borrowed a no-name SD card and tested it against the Panasonic card that came with the camera. In continuous shoot mode, the generic card slowed after about 2-3 frames and the Panasonic slowed down after about 8-10 frames. I bought a Lexar 256MB 32X (rated at 10mb read or write). This baby doesn't slow down at all. It just keeps on going until I lift my finger and the camera finishes the last frame almost instantly. In high or low burst modes, the writing finishes the last frame in a fraction of a second. This must be the result of the simultaneous processing of that Venus II processor. I was using 2048 pic size and fine mode. About BIG cards vs. smaller cards, I have a theory that if I have a problem with the memory card, I'd rather lose some of my pics rather than all of them. Besides, if you do lose a memory chip, electronically or physically, you would have backup if you worked off of 2 or 3 smaller cards rather than one BIG ONE. I am opting for 2 to 3 256MB cards rather than a really big one. This seems to make sense to me.
Enjoy that new FZ20...... :) ........Jerry G......the Zookeeper

littledigitalartist
12-12-2004, 07:32 PM
Cutting a very long story short, it's just cost me an extra $35 (about 24) to buy some software that could get to the images on the card. I'd tried SanDisks own retrieval utility and Norton Disk Doctor and the only response I could get was a complete system crash - every time. About 20 times in all - and I'm not exaggerating!!

When I did manage to get my pictures off the card and on to the PC, one image was 111,459KB in size !!!

hi may i know what programm you use to recover your pics?? i had this problem too... and i've been saving my card till now... help!!!!

genece
12-13-2004, 06:05 AM
Here is a free image recovery and there are many others that are free
Image Recovery (http://www.z-a-recovery.com/digital_image_recovery.htm)

About the Panasonic cards the first couple cards I bought are Panasonics they are good cards .. just too expensive.

Mary
12-13-2004, 06:14 AM
Got a 512MB Kingmax Platinum card from Newegg.com for $39 plus shipping. Super fast and cheap!

KatieLouise
12-14-2004, 02:17 AM
I got a panasonic 512mb for 32 and it have a fast transer rate too.

I thought that was good!?

tintop
12-14-2004, 03:53 AM
Took a four-shot burst on the FZ20. Took 10 seconds to write on my Sandisk and Kingston SD cards and just 2 seconds on a SanDisk Extreme card. :eek:

Was this 10 seconds on a standard Sandisk, or a Sandisk Ultra II? Is there a noticable speed difference (when used with the FZ20) between a Sandisk UltraII and a Sandisk ExtremeIII?

Would a 40x card be fast enough? I'm thinking about getting this one. http://www.komplett.co.uk/k/ki.asp?sku=300158&cks=SER

Thanks

lindseybp
12-18-2004, 11:58 AM
Is the Sandisk extreme III out in the US yet?

Lindseybp

genece
12-18-2004, 12:30 PM
Was this 10 seconds on a standard Sandisk, or a Sandisk Ultra II? Is there a noticable speed difference (when used with the FZ20) between a Sandisk UltraII and a Sandisk ExtremeIII?

Would a 40x card be fast enough? I'm thinking about getting this one. http://www.komplett.co.uk/k/ki.asp?sku=300158&cks=SER

Thanks

I am sure that Twinnmos card will be as fast as the camera can use. And for the same reason the extreme3 or what ever will not be any better in the camera.
May work faster in a card reader but not in the camera.

lindseybp
12-18-2004, 12:48 PM
Is there a limit to the speed the FZ20 can write to the card?

Lindseybp

genece
12-18-2004, 01:41 PM
I know what Panasonic says but I also know how my camera works in real life.
I have several of the 60 and 66X cards and none are any faster than my 32X Lexar.

tintop
12-19-2004, 11:35 AM
I am sure that Twinnmos card will be as fast as the camera can use. And for the same reason the extreme3 or what ever will not be any better in the camera.
May work faster in a card reader but not in the camera.

Thanks. I think I'll get one of these then.

Bob423
01-01-2005, 08:57 AM
I own a Garmin iQue 3600 PDA, a Palm OS type. I've been a member of their users' group for over a year and one of the most intense discussions has been on the fastest and most reliable SD cards to buy. You do not want all your data to go down the drain due to a faulty card. You also want all your data fast, waiting for a slow screen redraw due to a slow card is no fun.

Every available SD card on the market has been tested multiple times by the members using VFSMark, a speed measuring program for Palm OS PDA's. In brief, there's no contest - the Panasonic 254Meg and 512Meg cards proved to be the fastest and the most reliable SD cards on the market, especially in write speed, critical for a camera card. The Toshiba cards (for example, some Dane-Elec, PNY) are 15x slower in write mode but read almost 2x faster than the Panasonic). It seems that the Toshiba cards aimed at fast read times at the expense of slow write times.

I just bought a FZ20 for Christmas and need a bigger SD card From my experience on the PDA forum and the hundreds of test done by the members on all types of cards (literally), I am buying a Panasonic 512Meg for $89.99 at Amazon.com (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B00007FS77/104-5672830-8115942?v=glance)

I figure that the write speed is the most important number in the card specs. Unfortunately, you can't believe the manufacturer specs, we found many differences between the published specs and the actual performance in the VFSMark program which measures 9 aspects of card performance, one of which is write speed. The SanDisk cards were slow and had a high hit rate for problems with people on the forum. The SanDisk Ultra cards were as fast as the Panasonics (or faster in some cases) but some members of the forum had problems with them going bad and losing data. The thread can be found here. (http://www.pdastreet.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=23239&highlight=panasonic+card+speed)

Regards, Bob

erkman
01-03-2005, 12:09 PM
I just purchased a sandisk extreme III 1gb today for $120.00

20mbps read/write

Bob423
01-03-2005, 01:39 PM
Sounds like a great product!

Do you have access to a speed test program? (such as VFSMark for the Palm OS). It would be very interesting to see how it performed vs the published specs. On the Garmin iQue 3600 PDA forum, we found wide discrepancies between the published specs and actual performance.

However, the Ultra II versions of the SanDisk cards were as fast as the Panasonics, the Ultra III version should be faster yet per their specs. The only downside we found with the Ultras was their reliability. There were only a few members that reported a problem, most were okay. It probably doesn't matter as much with visual data as for use on a PDA where every bit must be accurate.

Regards, Bob

Bob423
01-03-2005, 02:07 PM
I've attached some actual measurements I made with VFSMark on four SD cards: SanDisk 256Mb, Panasonic 512Mb, Toshiba 512Mb and a SanDisk Ultra II 512Mb.

Of particular importance to us camera users (I have the FZ20) is the write speed. The numbers are in % of speed of a baseline SD so the numbers are comparable across SD cards. E.g., 13% write speed is 15x slower than a 195% write speed.

The "VFSMark" is an overall score but the write speed is of most interest to us.

VFSMark Results

SanDisk256Mb
Test.............SanDisk 256.........Panasonic 512 (middle of 3 runs)
File Create:.........54%......................364%
File Delete:..........44%.....................262%
File Write:...........13%......................195%
File Read:..........305%......................672%
File Seek:...........393%.....................655%
DB Export:...........47%......................290%
DB Import:..........348%.....................652%
Record Access:....425%.....................754%
Resource Access:.376%....................662%
VFSMark:...............222......................50 0 (high = 515, low=499)

VFSMark Results Toshiba 512Mb (Labeled Dane-Elec)
File Create: 32%
File Delete: 15%
File Write: 11%
File Read: 760%
File Seek: 786%
DB Export: 25%&..........1...........
DB Import: 867%
Record Access: 928%
Resource Access: 853%

VFSMark: 475

SanDisk Ultra II 256 VFSMark

Create 469%
Delete 261%
Write 74%
Read 713%
Seek 694%
DB Export 249%
DB Import 786%
Record Acc 822%
Resource Acc 738%

VFS Mark 534

I would be very interested in the write speed of the SanDisk Ultra III (actually measured, not the advertised spec which may vary).

Regards, Bob

nzmacro
01-03-2005, 10:22 PM
On the FZ10 using Panasonic SD's I've been getting 4 frames a second for 6-7 frames on hover flies. On the FZ20, that will be lower for sure. Only 3 frames a second. So I don't think I want or need faster cards.

Danny.