PDA

View Full Version : Need Advise/Recommendation. How long would AA batteries last on a camera?

zero
07-30-2005, 08:13 AM
Hi all.

I was wondering if you know the answer to my question. I saw Fuji advertising the S9000 and it seems like a great camera except 1 thing bugged me......the usage of 4 AA batteries. I know that some prefer AA batteries to proprietary batteries but to me it seems like AA batteries won't last nearly as long as a fully charged proprietary battery.

My question is......do any of you know/have a guess how long 4 AA batteries would last on a camera such as Fuji S9000? It has 1.8" LCD but no IS. My typical usage is to use the LCD at all times and use flash whenever I am indoors. Any guess how long the battery would last typically?

Also, would you recommend buying a certain type of batteries that would make it last longer? Are rechargeable 2200 mah batteries good?

Thank you for reading :) .

speaklightly
07-30-2005, 09:12 AM
zero-

By today's standards, 2000mah batteries are not considered very powerful, because there are now 2400, 2500, and 2600mah AA sized batteries available.

Also keep in mind that different cameras have different battery draw down chacteristics. For example, 4 AA 1800 mah bateries in my Pentax 1stDS will last foe a week to ten days.

So there is no firm rule of thumb. The usage will vary from camera to camera. There are still a good number of folks who prefer AA bateries to proprietary batteries.

Sarah Joyce

zero
07-30-2005, 11:39 AM
2000mah batteries are not considered very powerful, because there are now 2400, 2500, and 2600mah AA sized batteries available.

Thank you for your reply. Do you know if very high powered AA batteries such as 2500 or 2600mah can ruin the camera? Or will 2200 mah would work just as nicely as 2500/2600 in the camera?

speaklightly
07-30-2005, 11:59 AM
zero-

None of these batteries will damage any digital camera. As the mah number increases, their time before re-charging increases. They last longer, that is all the higher mah number is telling you.

Sarah Joyce

ZCarroll
07-30-2005, 12:13 PM
why would the high capacity AAs ruin the camera? I thought they were designed for digicam use? I do know I tried a samsung digimax v70 awhile back and returned it thinking it was completely defective because it behaved erratically and I later found out it was because I was using 2300 mAH AAs which were not powerful enough for it... (I hadn't even noticed before that there were different capacities, oops!) I was curious about that myself with the new fuji so I'd love to find the answer. From my limited experience it definitely seems the proprietary batteries have much much longer life (and faster flash recycle times) so I was sad to see the AAs for the new fuji... but maybe it works in this camera, can't wait to find out more when it comes out!

07-30-2005, 01:13 PM
AA batteries do very well in digicams provided that they are NiMH...

For instance, according to CIPA standards, one should be able to get 400 shots in the Canon A95. I did a test in which I left the LCD on all the time and where I was taking a picture with flash and a picture without flash. I would then review the pictures... Well believe it or not, I was able to take over 800(I forgot the exact number, I think 814 or 828) pictures, that means over 400 pictures with flash and over 400 pictures without flash. (the batteries used were Powerex 2300mAh)

Now, the weakness of NiMH batteries is that they have a high self-discharge rate, that means that they are losing power every day after they were taken off the charger. Its not that bad, I am still able to get about 400 pictures out of the camera over a(roughly) 1 month period.

ZCarroll
07-30-2005, 01:56 PM
wow, I had no idea the A95 had such long battery life, I thought it would be less with a rotating lcd for some reason... I was constantly changing batteries with rechargeables with every cam I used it seemed (I used 2300mAH NiMH also)

jonp
07-30-2005, 05:39 PM
The big advantage of AA batteries is that you can get very high capacity NiMH batteries that will last longer than the the custom Li-ion batteries. The 'power' rating on NiMH batteries is in milliamp hours - so it's NOT a measure of current, it's a measure of how long (in hours) the battery can deliver a current of one milliamp. It's much better to think of this in terms of how long the battery lasts, not how much 'power' it has. You can't 'overpower' anything by putting a battery with a high MaH rating in.

As far as I can see, the reason companies use Li-ion batteries is that they can be smaller and thinner. They also withstand more re-charge cycles, which is meaningless considering how expensive they are.

I can see the point of Li-ion batteries in phones, but in cameras it just annoys me!

Jon

zero
07-30-2005, 06:19 PM
The big advantage of AA batteries is that you can get very high capacity NiMH batteries that will last longer than the the custom Li-ion batteries.

Thank you for the replies Sarah, Caroll, Newbie, and Jonp. I was a bit confused about mah but you'all cleared it up (thanks).

Jon, what mah batteries can last longer than Li-ion batteries? Today I went to a local store and saw some rechargeable 2500 nmih energizer batters (8 for around $18.00) which sounded like a good deal. Are the ones you are talking about even higher powered?

( I am still waiting to see what Canon and Sony has to offer for their fall lineup. So if perhaps a Pro2 or a G7 comes out which seems better to me, then I might not have to buy AA batteries after all ;) but learning about which AA batteries to go for is definitely a plus ).

jonp
07-30-2005, 07:33 PM
Hi,

People are selling AA batteries rated at 2600mAH rather than 2500mAH. A quick google search should tell you who. Whether the difference is worth the cost, you will have to decide - the difference is not huge after all. Either way, they will cost about half what a spare Li-ion battery costs!

When I say that NiMH batteries are better than Li-ion, that's obviously a generalisation. Some manufacturers may spec very long life Li-ion batteries for their products, and there's no denying that the F10 for example has excellent battery life. But in my experience, a pair of AA NiMH batteries in a camera, and a spare pair in your pocket is cheaper and more use than the custom Li-ion things. And you can use them in all sorts of other devices, of course.

Incidentally note that most of the custom Li-ion batteries operate at much higher voltage than AA type batteries. Because of this the 'mAH' rating isn't directly comparable - total 'juice' of a battery is (roughly) its voltage multiplied by its mAH rating.

07-30-2005, 08:53 PM
When buying NiMH batteries, there is more to consider than only the mAh... Some brands are better than others and the charger also plays a big role, some chargers will only charge the battery to 80% of its capacity, while the better ones will get to 98-99%... 80%, that means that a 2500mAh becomes a 2000mAh battery.

For that matter, I particularly like the Maha chargers and the Powerex batteries.

As for the Li-on batteries lasting long(in terms of charges), well I admit I had problems understanding that part and maybe I understood it wrong, but its totally false. Li-on batteries have a life of 2 years or 200 charges whichever comes first. NiMH batteries can do 500-1000 charges and are not that affected by the time that passes.

zero
07-31-2005, 12:42 PM
For that matter, I particularly like the Maha chargers and the Powerex batteries.

As for the Li-on batteries lasting long(in terms of charges), well I admit I had problems understanding that part and maybe I understood it wrong.

Is the Maha charger and the Powerex batteries available on the Internet only? Or do you think they sell it in stores in the U.S. (if you know)?

What I meant by Li-ion batteries lasting long is that lets say when you charge a Li-Ion battery and put it in a camera, then it will last quite a while before it needs charging again. E.g. I have a really old camera and the battery lasts about 120 minutes when I fully charge it.

07-31-2005, 02:07 PM
As for Li-on lasting longer than NiMH, it totally depends on the camera... The only case where Li-on ALWAYS last longer than NiMH is when the batteries are left unused for a while. For example, if you leave your NiMH batteries fully charged in your camera for a month, then they will die much sooner than normally; while if you do the same with Li-on batteries, then they will die barely faster than normally.

As for Maha products selling in stores in the US, I do not know. I know that they don't sell them in stores in Quebec(and probably Canada), but I have found an online dealer which is great.