PDA

View Full Version : Help Screen Black LS443

Peter S
09-17-2004, 07:00 PM
LCD is black no matter the state.
There is an icon at the foot of the screen which doesnt appear in manual or web pages. It is a camera outline with a blacked in lens.
Battery operating, memory stick presence makes no difference. Camera takes photos of black and wont recognize anything to download. :confused:
Camera bought in Atlanta- but I live in Australia.

D70FAN
09-18-2004, 07:37 AM
LCD is black no matter the state.
There is an icon at the foot of the screen which doesnt appear in manual or web pages. It is a camera outline with a blacked in lens.
Battery operating, memory stick presence makes no difference. Camera takes photos of black and wont recognize anything to download. :confused:
Camera bought in Atlanta- but I live in Australia.

Peter, try resetting the camera by removing the battery for 24 hours. I assume that the camera worked ok for some time before the black-out.

If the reset doesn't work then contact Kodak.

Peter S
09-24-2004, 12:45 AM
Finally able to reply. Unfortunately removing the battery for 24hrs had no effect. After keying in the date the same problem reappeared. I guess I'll have to throw myself to the mercy of the repairers.
Thanks all the same
Peter :rolleyes:

marshur
10-09-2004, 10:24 AM
:confused: I need repair also. Was just wondering if its worth it :confused:

Peter S
11-02-2004, 01:41 AM
I've followed all the advice given to no avail. Kodak want $A150 before they will repair it no matter what is wrong. I believe that it has to be software related as it went on to the camera dock and downloaded successfully and by morning it had crashed still on the dock. Someone must know of the problem, I need to find them>!!!! :eek: Cheers

uptown187
11-04-2004, 02:11 PM
Peter,

I had problems with my Ls443 althought different than yours. My lens continued to get stuck. I had to RMA it TWICE!! So far the replacement they sent me is doing fine. Luckly mine was under warranty. I asume yours it not.
Mine gave me an error code. When i called the techs and told them the code, they said i had to send it in. Im suprised you didn't receive an error code.
Can you see anything else on the screen like the other modes or the picture review? If you can't see anything, it might not be a software problem, but a problem with the lens. Remember, if any harware fails, the camera will crash and shut off as did mine. I talked to many people and read many forums that stated that kodaks ls443's lens was defective!!

Dont take any crap from Kodak! Even though mine was under warranty, they gave me a had time. Thier techs are pretty good. have you called them? Also, ask to speak to a manger! If you have to give the manager that "I am a loyal customer of kodak, and if you are in the business of selling defective products i will take my business elsewere and tell everyone i know the same" speech. It worked for me! you have to be persistant with kodak. Don't take any crap!
Hope this helps.

claudioc
11-08-2004, 06:29 AM
Hi, today I have the same problem.

Could you repair the camera or you still have the problem?

Thanks for you help.

SusanH
12-16-2004, 03:23 AM
I've had my Kodak Ls433 going on 2 years now and all of a sudden last night I'm having this exact same problem. I've gone through all the settings and can't figure out what happend. It was working fine the night before. I can view pictures on the memory card, but new pictures are just black.

Help I need my camera! :eek:

Susan

D70FAN
12-16-2004, 09:59 AM
I've had my Kodak Ls433 going on 2 years now and all of a sudden last night I'm having this exact same problem. I've gone through all the settings and can't figure out what happend. It was working fine the night before. I can view pictures on the memory card, but new pictures are just black.

Help I need my camera! :eek:

Susan

Ah. Perfect timing. Just before the holidays. From reading those posts before you it looks like shipping the camera back to Kodak for repair ($150), or buying a replacement camera are your only choices. With the later being your only choice before Christmas.

A decent low cost (and better) replacement would be the 4MP Canon A85 for about $249. Actually the A75 (even though it is only 3.2 MegaPixels) would probably give you better results than the Ls443 for $179-$199.

Unfortunately, the A series uses CF memory cards instead of SD cards. The good news is that CF cards are fairly cheap (around $30 for 256MB) and it uses AA rechargable and (in a pinch) alkaline batteries. 4 2100mAh AA NiMH Batteries and a charger run about $30

Or, you could just buy another Kodak. After all they are the JD Powers Customer Satisfaction pick for digital cameras in the $200-$600 price range. :rolleyes:

Sez-so right here:

http://www.kodak.com/eknec/PageQuerier.jhtml;jsessionid=OXLO0JHAUFN4PFW4FAKHW D2W1YUEE4L4?pq-path=4643&pq-locale=en_US&_requestid=56550

SusanH
12-16-2004, 03:26 PM
Well I talked to Kodak and they are going to fix it for FREE. I just have to pay shipping. They also offered a upgrade to the LS743 for $125 plus shipping. I thought this was very nice of Kodak!

nchanted
02-06-2005, 01:05 AM
Hi Susan and everyone,

I have had my LS443 for just over 2 years. Just one day this week I pulled the camera off the dock to use it, and Im getting black photos.. they download as black photos too. Im in Australia and of course my camera's out of warranty. Susan, was your camera still under warranty, if not how did you convince Kodak to repair for free?

Regards,
Dawn

marko
08-19-2005, 05:38 PM
found this via google.

thought I'd add my voice as I've the exact same problem.
again, camera has been flawless for two years, then all black, justlikethat :(

I'll phone kodak in the morning. wish me luck.

LS443 owner
08-23-2005, 05:16 PM
My camera has also caught the "Black screen flu". Very disappointing. I just received an e-mail from CNET asking for digital camera complaints. They have a new Point and Shoot discussion area. Maybe if enough of us speak up Kodak will do something. Hey - it could happen!

Phod
09-08-2005, 06:07 PM
Apparently this is a defect in the camera. This just happened to me today so I searched google and low and behold I found this forum.

Of course I'm post-warranty and probably screwed I guess eh? Anyone having luck Kodak owning up to this being obviously a product defect?

Anyone find out exactly what the problem is?

Any luck taking it to a repair shop?

DaveR
09-25-2005, 08:42 AM
I too got here via Google!

Both my son and I have LS443's - and a great camera it was, got all the lenses, got some good shots! Couple of months ago my son (21) said his camera had developed a black screen, wouldn't take any shots. Kodak offered him a current equivalent model LS473 for around 70 bpnds. He hasn't taken up the offer. Two weeks ago, in the middle of a shoot, mine went black.

I wonder how many enquiries Kodak have had on the subject :confused: ?

We need to be heard Kodak!

PS Anybody want to buy 0.6x Wide Angle and 2x Telephoto 37 mm lenses plus 39-37 mm adapter tube? ;)

smb405
12-02-2005, 11:04 AM
I'm having a problem with my LS443 as well. All of a sudden the camera stopped working and displayed the error code #45. The lens will not retract. My screen was blue. Kodak offered to sell me a refurbished camera to replace it.....I think not.....mine was purchased in April 2003. I asked Kodak to give me a rebate or trade-in on another Kodak camera of my choice but I am still waiting to hear back from them. Otherwise I am buying either a Canon, Panasonic or Olympus this weekend. This will be my son's first X-mas so I definitely need to purchase a camera. I'll give Kodak one chance to stand by it's product, however, I doubt they will. In that case I will never purchase another Kodak product again. Check out Consumer Reports and you will see a graph that shows all of the camera manufacturers repair history....Kodak is way down the list (frequent repairs) with Sony, Canon, Olympus, and others all in front. Anybody have any suggestions on a good 10 X optical zoom camera in the $250-$400 price range?

BOMAX
01-26-2006, 10:22 AM
I am going to state a simple fact. Kodak may have figured this situation was against the odds (some one buying three LS443 at the same time frame).

I think it is against the odds that all three stopped working the same week 2 years later. FACT

A check engine light on my truck is programed to come on every so many starts...this initiates a great deal of service for the company and expense for people that do not know that a popular auto parts store resets the light for free.

I think that my camera was designed to stop at a certain time. The camera requires you to put in the Date and Time before it will work.HMMMMM I wonder why.

I do believe in Murphy's law...it is possible that I could buy three same make and model cameras for myself and for two other family members...not drop or get any wet...and have them all fail the same week.

It is also possible that I win the Lotto.

Kodak you made an oops...GOTCHA

I have now bought a Nikon D50...WOW Way better and more money...however I prefer quality and a good product and service over price any day...I think I am not the only thinker like this as well...I am just like any other father spending good money.

I will neh-eh-ever buy a Kodak Camera again.

Kodak reminds me of the famous company I work for...Make all the money you can now because the new college bean counters have shown us the way...while we burn the candle of a good name to get the money...and worry about the name later...after the bean counters are gone...and the execs retired or take the package.

SDigital
03-22-2006, 12:50 PM
I just have to chime in with the crowd. I just had the EXACT same problem occur with my LS443. The camera turns on, the lens extends, the old pictures, menu system, etc. can be viewed, but any new pictures or video are all black. The live video display on the LCD is also black.

Like some of the former posters, I called Kodak support. I was walked through the usual removal of the battery, formatting the memory card speil that I had already done. I was then told that Kodak no longer services the LS443, but they could offer me an upgrade to a new camera (don't recall the model) for $150 plus shipping and handling. :mad: BS!!! Like someone else pointed out earlier, isn't it a bit odd that all of us are having these cameras go out in the same inexplicable manner around the same time?!?! I'm no conspiracy nut, but it would be awfully easy for a software/firmware programmer to put an "expiration date" into a camera like this.

As for me, I won't be taking them up on their replacement offer. I had my fill of bad service from Kodak.

BlackScreen
04-15-2006, 09:25 AM
Hello,
Found via google...same problem as above. Camera turns on no screen preview tho...I thought Kodak was a reputable company. I will try to get some support from them, if this doesnt end well then I will report back.

Kodak should fix this for free. Sony fixed my PS2 for free because of a known defect, it was WAY out of warranty. This is obviously a defect. Just in time for Easter too. Yay Kodak!

BlackScreen
04-19-2006, 08:50 AM
Hello again,
I talked to Kodak. They have a program already setup to replace the defective camera with a refurbished camera for $150.00. Like already stated.

This is obviously a huge problem with kodak. The fact that they offered me a $150.00 refurbished camera as a replacement for my defective camera was not only an insult because I could buy the same camera brand new for a few bucks more but they honestly expected me to pay for another POS kodak camera when the original POS broke due to a defect. See an endless cycle here?

Honestly if companies are getting away with this crap then they are just going to push more junk onto the public. We need to stop buying from companies like this when they do not support their products. I will not buy a kodak again.

I purchsed a Sony H1, this is an awesome camera. On clearance pricing right now due to the new H2. I went to Sony because my PS2 broke with a defect and they fixed it for free well out of warranty with no proof of purchase other then the Sony brand name on the unit. I thought I could trust a name like Kodak for a digital camera, I thought wrong.

lemas156
06-13-2006, 07:58 PM
Hi all,

I found this forum via Google, as well.

My wife and I just got back from our vacation in Alaska. Low and behold, on our first excursion (Zip Lining through the trees), my LS443 decided it wanted to start taking black photos/video. All of the same symptoms - screen still previews old photos, lens extends, etc... This obviously could not come at a worse time for us. Luckily, my Canon camcorder takes 2mp pictures, so we were able to capture photos on the rest of our trip - albeit, not as good of quality, but memories were captured, nonetheless.

I think we should file a class action lawsuit against Kodak. Seriously, everyone is having the same issue and they think they can sweep it under the rug by offering a refurbished replacement of another model for $150!? That is plain ridiculous.

They need to cop to the fact that either this is a defect, or as someone else mentioned (which I feel could also be the case), they programmed the camera to expire.:mad:

Thoughts?

sw2cam
06-17-2006, 11:26 AM
I'd contact Mike O'Brain from Eastman Kodak on this site in the Kodak area.

http://www.dpreview.com/

Or Ron Baird Eastman Kodak Company at this site in the Koadk area. Hope to see all of you there getting help.

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/