PDA

View Full Version : Formatting Compact Flash Cards

Charles C. Weston
09-17-2004, 12:42 PM
My D70 will not format Compact Flash cards any more. I am using SanDisc which are approved by Nikon. I have tried formatting in Windows also using FAT 32 and FAT as well. The camera will show the number of shots remaing but will not record photo on the card. Yout guidance would be helpful.

Charles.

D70FAN
09-17-2004, 04:43 PM
My D70 will not format Compact Flash cards any more. I am using SanDisc which are approved by Nikon. I have tried formatting in Windows also using FAT 32 and FAT as well. The camera will show the number of shots remaing but will not record photo on the card. Yout guidance would be helpful.

Charles.

I suggest you take the "shortcut" on this one and go to your local camera store and test the CF card in another D70. You really need to have more than one CF card. 256MB or 512MB should work fine, and you will avoid having all your eggs in one basket.

I have had strange problems with a SanDisk SD card in the past, so it definately could be a card related problem. I have had a Kingston CF card fail as well, so it does happen.

If you plug in a new card (no need to format really) and it doesn't work, then you might have a problem.

Charles C. Weston
09-18-2004, 08:16 PM
I took you advice, George, and discovered that the problem was in the D70 not with the CF cards. Swapped out the camera for a new one and am back to taking pictures.
Now, can I format a CF card while in Windows rather than in the D70? Is it allright to erase photos, or even all the files on the card, while in PS or in PIE?

Once again thank for all of your help,

Charles

D70FAN
09-18-2004, 08:24 PM
I took you advice, George, and discovered that the problem was in the D70 not with the CF cards. Swapped out the camera for a new one and am back to taking pictures.
Now, can I format a CF card while in Windows rather than in the D70? Is it allright to erase photos, or even all the files on the card, while in PS or in PIE?

Once again thank for all of your help,

Charles

Sorry to hear that it was the camera, but nice to hear that it was replaced (hopefully without a hassle).

As far as formatting and erasing, it should not make a difference. I cut and paste using PS, PIE, and Windows, from my CF cards all the time, and then just pop them back in the camera.

Charles C. Weston
09-19-2004, 08:50 AM
Wolfe (Ritz) camera were very helpful. They provided unformatted CF cards, a new camera and verified that it was the camera that was at fault.
Once that was established, they quite readily exchanged the defective camera for a brand new one. It was realy a pleasant experience.

Charles

sgrenald
09-22-2004, 04:58 PM
You're always better off formatting in the camera.

Not that you'll damage anything by formatting in your computer, but the PC sees the card like any other media, so it sets up the appropriate OS indices, etc on the card, which the camera ignores. So you end up wasting some space.

-Seth