PDA

View Full Version : Nikon D70 Error message "E r r"

acuberos
07-26-2005, 02:57 PM
A friend has a Nikon N70 (almost new) that has the following problem:

When you press the shutter release, after the autofocus, the camera send the message "E r r" in the viewfinder display and in the top LCD display, and does not take the picture.

Does anybody have information about this problem?

Thanks,
Alvaro. :confused:

D70FAN
07-26-2005, 04:58 PM

When you press the shutter release, after the autofocus, the camera send the message "E r r" in the viewfinder display and in the top LCD display, and does not take the picture.

Thanks,

What lens is being used? If the lens has a manual aperture ring then it needs to be set and locked at the smallest aperture setting (usually f22 marked in red) as the camera takes care of this function in all but full manual mode.

If the lens does not have an aperture ring then it may be a lens malfunction. Since you don't give a whole lot of information I'm just guessing.

Jim R
07-27-2005, 06:00 AM
Ah yes, I experienced exactly this problem. I bought my D70 a year ago (July last year). About 6 months ago, it started malfunctioning occasionally, as you have described ..... it wouldn't take a shot when the button was pressed, and the "Err" message came up on the screen. Not all the time, just occasionally .... perhaps 1 in 5 or 10 times, but it did seem to be increasing in frequency. I dealt with the problem by switching the camera off, then back on. When I switched it back on. for the first shot, it made an extra "clunk" noise with the shutter/mirror working, and wouldn't record a photo. However, after that first use (after switching back on), it then seemed to work OK. Until the problem cropped up again, randomly. A month ago, I took it into our local Nikon repair agent to have it repaired under warranty. It was fixed, and the report simply said "returned to manufacturer's specifications" (seems like that's all the info they give you). But on querying the technician, he said that they had found the shutter to be faulty, and had replaced it with a new shutter unit. It seems to be working OK now

I'd suggest you take the camera in for a check-up .... hopefully still under warranty

Rob Tausk
11-01-2005, 04:09 AM
Indeed a me-to. Bought the D70 April 2005; by September I started having this shutter problem: initially infrequently but subsequently increasing till photography became impossible. Camera sent back for repair and shutter device replaced. Then some 20 photo's OK, but problem reoccurred. Just sent back the camera for repair again.
Has any further information been published as yet?
Rob Tausk, The Netherlands

and2
11-01-2005, 09:04 AM
I'm having the same problem with D70 :( I had zero problems with Canon 350D

D70FAN
11-01-2005, 10:43 AM
Hey stuff happens. I had my D70 repaired last February and it has been rock solid since. Nikon turns their repairs quickly (2 weeks round trip) and without fuss.

Even the best cameras break. If you are concerned then go back to the 350D. Otherwise get the D70 fixed and enjoy it.

Just out of curiousity why did you switch from the 350D to the D70?

Claus S
11-01-2005, 11:29 AM
"Err" happens when lens aparture is not set to minimal value.

contaxman
11-15-2005, 05:22 PM
I have the Exact same problem.. returned to Nikon .. Flaky shutter

Thanks,

Jsouza
01-07-2006, 06:15 PM
which flashes in the message box, then the camera will not shoot. This is with the 70-300 lens only, the others seem to work fine.

Any suggestions?

JPS

K1W1
01-07-2006, 06:40 PM
Try taking the lens of and cleaning the contacts then reinstalling it. It could be,
1. Dirty contacts
2. Not quite clicked home correctly
3. Faulty

Eliminate 1 and 2 first.

MarcellaL
05-15-2007, 04:26 AM
Hi, I believe it is a lens problem I had similar problem with my Canon all I had to do is clean it with a pencil eraser but I don't know if it is the same with Nikon. I found this solution in a tech support site and I saw they have some solution for Nikon "err" as well...

Here is the page for Nikon Support (http://www.fixya.com/support/nikon) They also have free live chat support that you should try...

Good luck

Marcy

Ray Schnoor
05-16-2007, 05:58 AM
Hi, I believe it is a lens problem I had similar problem with my Canon all I had to do is clean it with a pencil eraser but I don't know if it is the same with Nikon. I found this solution in a tech support site and I saw they have some solution for Nikon "err" as well...

Here is the page for Nikon Support (http://www.fixya.com/support/nikon) They also have free live chat support that you should try...

Good luck

Marcy
Being one to point out the obvious, I certainly hope that the OP has found a fix for their problem in the 16+ months since the last post in this thread.:D

Ray.