PDA

View Full Version : KOdak Easyshare V550 Review...

imadmax69
07-26-2005, 02:08 PM
There is a review at Steve's digicams:

http://www.steves-digicams.com/2005_reviews/v550.html

Please take a look at the sample pictures and let me know what you think (to me they look very noisy).

Personally, I preffer Jeff's reviews and I can't wait till it's posted.

Thx.

tc17
07-31-2005, 05:15 PM
There is a review at Steve's digicams:

http://www.steves-digicams.com/2005_reviews/v550.html

Please take a look at the sample pictures and let me know what you think (to me they look very noisy).

Personally, I preffer Jeff's reviews and I can't wait till it's posted.

Thx.
They don't look noisey to me. In fact there is another review of many of the slim cameras, and the Kodak v550 he rated as one of the better ones for having less noise than the others.

http://www.behardware.com/art/imprimer/575/

Thats the only review I have seen thats compared a bunch of compact cameras in one review. The Kodak v550 tests in there all seem to have brighter pictures than the other cameras. At least to my eyes anyways.

Edit: The first picture on Steves page does look noisey, but that was also shot at ISO 400, which explains it.

nybarbiedoll
08-03-2005, 12:15 PM
I've had this camera for about 1 month now. I really like the size but most of my pictures are blurry. But I think it's because I am NOT use to such a small and light camera.

If I knew how to post pictures here, I would post some samples. I tried but they did show up in my message.

Barb in Texas

jmsnyc
08-08-2005, 08:06 PM
Are the pictures really blurry? Most user comments on this camera have been incredible except for battery life. I am really in a toss up between buying this or the Canon SD400 and can't decide.

Also, if you reply, tell me which color you like better, black or silver? And if anyone knows a cheap place to buy. I like Amazon but they don't sell it direct and its expensive. Buy.com only has Silver and out of stock.

c0mrade
08-09-2005, 12:48 PM
I'm completely satisfied with the choice I made when I bought this little puppy. The pic quality is awesome, the movie mode is awesome, yeah, battery is not the highest life, but it does a lot of things inside of that little thing. I just bought a spare right away (20 bucks). That LCD is pretty high resolution and contrast, I'm pretty sure that takes away a lot of energy, but I was out of town for a whole weekend, and didn't even come close to need to charge it after around 150 pics the battery indicator just came on, which means you got little less than a half of it less, at least by the pic shown on the screen, so go figure.

jmsnyc
08-09-2005, 12:51 PM
Thanks for the response c0mrade. Just curious, how much did you pay? Silver or black? Where'd you get the battery?

nybarbiedoll
08-09-2005, 02:18 PM
The blurry pictures - It REALLY is just ME!!! It is so little and light that I just shake it! I am going to try to attach a picture that my husband just took. He LOVES this camera. And you will see, no blur at all and the color is wonderful.

Barb in Texas

c0mrade
08-09-2005, 02:37 PM
Thanks for the response c0mrade. Just curious, how much did you pay? Silver or black? Where'd you get the battery?

I bought the camera from Dell with coupons I found on bensbargains.net, it was 364 + 20% off + $20 off, so I bought it for around $300, which was a great deal. It's black, I got it black to match my phone ;).

I got the battery from Dell as well along with my camera since the shipping was free, and it's $30.00 not $20.00 like I said earlier (typo).

http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/ProductDetail.aspx?sku=A0507382&c=us&l=en&cs=19&category_id=6089&first=true&k=kodak%20v550&page=productlisting.aspx

I also got a perfect case that was made for it and fits it perfect off of e-bay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/SuperSlim-Genuine-Leather-Case-for-Kodak-Easyshare-V550_W0QQitemZ7537426335QQcategoryZ43442QQssPageNa meZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

As to blurry pictures, I don't know. I usually take pictures using two hands, this camera is layed out for two handed operation. I mean granted I've had some blurry pics, everyone will, but what 10 out 500 pics came out blurry, absolute majority are just awesome. I am a DJ and I take this with me to shows, usually dark atmosphere in the club, and it takes great pics there too, I've been playing with it and been discovering some nifty tricks you can do even with simplicity of it.

jmsnyc
08-10-2005, 10:17 AM
I'm going crazy with indecision!!! I was all set to buy the Canon sd400 but then I found the thread on the lcd problems - enough people had problems and had to shell out an extra $50 to $150 to get it fixed. Canon won't honor under warrantly but thats in another forum so I'll stick to what I decided to switch back to the V550....

Newegg just listed the black one at $349 plus shipping. They actually have one listed for $314 plus shipping but I know its an error and its actually is the V530 - you can tell by clicking on the photos - wonder if they'd honor their mistake and ship the 550. Btw, I saw your review (c0mrade) linked to the newegg proudct Anyway, I sort of prefer the silver. Best prices from merchants I trust are $349 (buy.com) but out of stock and BestBuy for $359 but another $30 tax. Dell has it listed for $399 and I can only get the $20 coupon to work, the 20% has actually been used up I guess. Dell charges sales tax in NY too. My hope is that buy.com gets it in stock soon and doesn't raise their price!

c0mrade
08-10-2005, 12:40 PM
I'm going crazy with indecision!!! I was all set to buy the Canon sd400 but then I found the thread on the lcd problems - enough people had problems and had to shell out an extra $50 to $150 to get it fixed. Canon won't honor under warrantly but thats in another forum so I'll stick to what I decided to switch back to the V550....

Newegg just listed the black one at $349 plus shipping. They actually have one listed for $314 plus shipping but I know its an error and its actually is the V530 - you can tell by clicking on the photos - wonder if they'd honor their mistake and ship the 550. Btw, I saw your review (c0mrade) linked to the newegg proudct Anyway, I sort of prefer the silver. Best prices from merchants I trust are $349 (buy.com) but out of stock and BestBuy for $359 but another $30 tax. Dell has it listed for $399 and I can only get the $20 coupon to work, the 20% has actually been used up I guess. Dell charges sales tax in NY too. My hope is that buy.com gets it in stock soon and doesn't raise their price!

If I were you, I'd buy from Newegg, fast, SUPER trusted, and GREAT service, or wait for Dell coupon renewals. Newegg just kicks ass. I've bought so much electronics from Newegg through the years, I wouldn't buy from anyone else. The only reason I personally bought from Dell was because of those coupons, and I wasn't dissapointed either. I had the camera in 3 business days, no problem.

Oh, and the one they have listed for $314 on Newegg is actually a 530.

Good choice on the camera though, you won't be dissapointed. I LOVE it.

skatermom
08-12-2005, 08:49 AM
after searching and searching for the perfect 5 pixel camera with aa batteries, sd card, good vdo mode, + a good deal, I finally decided on the Kodak v550...it is on sale right now at dell for 304.15 (with coupon GV377LSW212XB4) What a deal. The only thing I worry about is the shaky hand thing...but hopefully should be okay...at this price I am willing to gamble.

My other choices were the Samsung v70 and and canon sd500, but I think this will be a great choice for our family... hopefully dell will actually ship it!

jmsnyc
08-12-2005, 09:05 AM
I couldnt get any coupons to work at dell plus I have to pay sales tax and shipping. I have a $15 coupon for buy.com but so $335 total but no stock.... I was considering the sd400 but turned off by lcd issues and the casio exilim z55 - perfect size, price, indoor features etc but lots of complaint re: poor white balance and grainy indoor pics

i wish jeff would post his v550 review - i think this is the one, just cant decide if i want black or silver

jmsnyc
08-12-2005, 11:05 AM
Ok - I hence tried Dell again following your post, skatermom (thanks!!!). Dell automatically puts $59 off $399 and the $35 coupon worked too. I was then gonna buy another $25 coupon for $5 off ebay but I emailed the seller and he said it would not stack with the $35 off but he gave me another code free for 20% off instead of 15%. (the old 20% off had been used up). So this worked 3CP428PCG?BRMS and gave me $79 instead of $59.

I used fatwallet too so I should see a 3% credit there :) Could of saved another 2% dpa (dell credit card) but skipped it cause I wanted added warranty protection on amex.

So bottom line - $284 + $24 sales tax (NY) = $308 total ($300 if I get the fatwallet rebate)

c0mrade
08-12-2005, 01:28 PM
Ok - I hence tried Dell again following your post, skatermom (thanks!!!). Dell automatically puts $59 off $399 and the $35 coupon worked too. I was then gonna buy another $25 coupon for $5 off ebay but I emailed the seller and he said it would not stack with the $35 off but he gave me another code free for 20% off instead of 15%. (the old 20% off had been used up). So this worked 3CP428PCG?BRMS and gave me $79 instead of $59.

I used fatwallet too so I should see a 3% credit there :) Could of saved another 2% dpa (dell credit card) but skipped it cause I wanted added warranty protection on amex.

So bottom line - $284 + $24 sales tax (NY) = $308 total ($300 if I get the fatwallet rebate)

Yup, that's about the price I bought it for... if you know how and where to look, all these places online and coupons are not a total hoaks, it does really work.

jmsnyc
08-15-2005, 11:31 AM
I just noticed the estimated ship date is 8/29. I placed on order on 8/12. That is ridiculous! Dell might have good prices but they're service sux!!!

c0mrade
08-15-2005, 01:48 PM
I just noticed the estimated ship date is 8/29. I placed on order on 8/12. That is ridiculous! Dell might have good prices but they're service sux!!!

I thought the same, although my camera came in 3 business days. I even called about it, and they say they just give themselves that much time, just to be on the safe side. The thing about Dell is that they don't stock up on cameras as far as I know. You'll get it way earlier than that, trust me.

skatermom
08-16-2005, 11:34 PM
My v550 just went out today 8/16 on DHL from dell...so much faster than 1-2wks that was stated....so i am sure yours will be just as fast. I am a little bummed not getting it for 284...oh well-$304 is still a great deal.

My husband is the techie one and I am so happy to have done all the reasearch and chosen a great camera.

I wish it had aa batteries, but i can live with that. I am very excited about the great VDO option and decided to go for a big flash card.

BTW....bestbuy has batterries for 18 something and I just bought a 1gb card from newegg-150x speed and and can hold actually up to 2gb(according to its specs) it was $69 and change with shipping...it is pink :o , which my husband says I bought it for the color...haha. :p

c0mrade
08-17-2005, 09:16 AM
You know how to shop :) Good luck with the camera, you'll love it!

jmsnyc
08-17-2005, 01:19 PM
I bought the battery for around $18 from Amazon (bought something else too so got free shipping), a 66x 1gb card for $51 from newegg - is there a movie max??? There is finally a review on this site and it states that high speed cards aren't needed.

Skatermom... It sounds like Newegg sent you the wrong card. 1gb should hold 1gb. Maybe they sent you the 2gb card which sells for $129. Is it A-Data brand?

Dell upgraded my shipping for free when I complained so hopefully I will get it before my vacation on the 25th (they state will be shipped on the 29th)

skatermom
08-17-2005, 05:47 PM
I read the review more carefully right after I purchased the card...ugh...oh well, it wasn't that more expensive. I am interested to hear what others have to say about this adata card...it has great reviews from people who bought it at newegg.

Here is what I found at ww1.bottomdollar.com:

"Adata 1GB Secure Digital Card
(SKU: TURBOSD150X1G)

Description: AdataSD card has an extremely high-speed performance at 22.5MB/s in read. Due to the ever-changing technology, it has capacity up to 2GB. It features with Error Correction Coding (ECC) function to avoid error generation during data transfer. To increase its compatibility, the SD card has a feature called In-System Programming (ISP) to update firmware when necessary. "

And from the manufacturers website:

The new generation of AdataSD card has extremely high-speed performance at 22.5MB/s in read, which is the highest-speed solution in the world. Due to the ever-changing technology, it has the highest capacity up to 2GB in the world.

It features with Error Correction Coding (ECC) function to avoid error generation during data transfer. To increase its compatibility, the SD card has a feature called In-System Programming (ISP) to update firmware when necessary.

ĦE Support SD 1.1
ĦE Very high performance at Read Speed more than 22.5MB/s and Write Speed more than 15MB/s
ĦE Support Error Correcting Code (ECC) function to detect and correct errors.
ĦE Support In System Programming (ISP) function to load the firmware.
ĦE Supports power down commands and sleep modes
ĦE Non-volatile storageĦ]no battery requiredĦ^
ĦE MTBF > 1,000,000 hours
ĦE DurabilityĦGMinimum 10,000 insertion/removal cycles
ĦE Low weight
ĦE Noiseles
ĦE Low profile

jmsnyc
08-18-2005, 08:56 AM
Here are images of the 1gb packaging vs the 2gb packaging

1GB Image (http://images10.newegg.com/productimage/20-211-313-01.JPG)

2GB Image (http://images10.newegg.com/productimage/20-211-314-01.JPG)

Notice in the upper left it either says 1GB or 2GB. So your saying you got the one that says 1GB but you think it can hold up to 2GBs? Do you have a card reader or can you view the card while the camera is connected to a pc via My Computer. You can right click on the card, select properties to see how much memory it holds.

Dont mean to dwell, I just believe a 1GB card is a 1GB card. I could be wrong but I am thinking the Adata review may be talking about Adata cards in general.

easystroke
08-25-2005, 06:58 PM
http://www.prestigecamera.com/product~id~kdesv550b.htm You might want to check this out. I decided to order the v550 and found this. Since it was my first time to order with this company, they said they would give me some discounts on an extra 4hour battery.....blah blah blah I thought. I told them I wasn't really interested in the extra crap. Almost completed the order and the sales person offered me another deal that was a little better. I told him it was still out of my budget. He explained that it was a one time offer because this was my first order. I think with shipping it was like 369.99 for the camera, regular ups ground shipping and an extra 4 hour battery and switching the one in that comes with the camera to a 4 hour on as well. So I told him I could do 350.00 for all of it. He typed some stuff and came back and asked if I could do 352.00. I sad yes and completed the transaction. I was notified the next day from ups that the item was shipped and will be delivered in 1 week. So thats 2 four hour batteries and the silver V550 camera for 352.00 total(including shipping). Just thought I 'd pass this on. I can't wait to get my new camera.

iwantitsimple
08-30-2005, 10:36 AM
Hello everyone, this is my first post.

I want to buy this camera for myself as an early graduation present (my old digital is trying to die). I have a few questions I'd like to ask current owners.

Are you happy with the zoom? I like to get in close sometimes and that has always been a problem with the one I have (Kodak 215 or something - 5 years old)

The film feature: how does this work? do you download to your computer? does it save to CD or DVD (don't have a recordable DVD).

Any help you give me will be truly appreciated. Thank you! :)

gnuboarder
09-07-2005, 06:54 PM
Does anyone know why the Silver one is more expensive than the Black V550? I am thinking of buying this camera for my girlfriend for her birthday but I think she likes the silver. I notice that it is always more expensive than the black. Any ideas as to why it would be more expensive???

Thanks!

jobikay
10-08-2005, 01:33 PM
I bought the camera from Dell with coupons I found on http://buyforless.com for my wife. No issues. Easy to use. We are considering though giving it to the kids and getting a canon though.