PDA

View Full Version : Nikon D1 Color Saturation Question

kornhauser
07-26-2005, 05:19 AM
Got the Nikon D1 finally. Bought a lens, battery charger, battery, and got a flash coming in the mail this week.

So far, I'm impressed with the camera. More, impressed with the controls on it. It's a little complicated, but easy to use. One afternoon of fiddling with it and I've got about half of it down.

Now here comes the question. The color balance is off. I took several pictures outside yesterday, played with the bracketing and even fiddled with the shutter speeds. The colors are just not coming out as vivid as they are real. I finally moved the white balance from auto to outside and got better results, but they're still not as vivid as I had hoped.

I understand that there is a way to adjust the color saturation on the D1. Anyone know how to do it or where I can go to get the instructions?

Thanks!

D70FAN
07-26-2005, 06:40 AM
Got the Nikon D1 finally. Bought a lens, battery charger, battery, and got a flash coming in the mail this week.

So far, I'm impressed with the camera. More, impressed with the controls on it. It's a little complicated, but easy to use. One afternoon of fiddling with it and I've got about half of it down.

Now here comes the question. The color balance is off. I took several pictures outside yesterday, played with the bracketing and even fiddled with the shutter speeds. The colors are just not coming out as vivid as they are real. I finally moved the white balance from auto to outside and got better results, but they're still not as vivid as I had hoped.

I understand that there is a way to adjust the color saturation on the D1. Anyone know how to do it or where I can go to get the instructions?

Thanks!

You might be able to gleen some information from reviews like at Steves Digicams.

http://www.steves-digicams.com/d1.html#specs

Or go up to the Nikonians site and ask. There should be a lot of D1 family users on that site.

Balrog
07-26-2005, 06:48 AM
I think I remember the DPreview review of the D1 mentioning something like that ... and that it can be fixed by a bit of postprocessing - if I recall correctly, what you have to do is use Photoshop to shift the color space of the photos from NTSC(1953) to sRGB III ...

kornhauser
07-26-2005, 07:53 AM
Thanks for the replies. I'm hoping to be able to adjust it on the camera, since I understand there is a process to do it. I don't mind doing it with software, but I shoot so many pictures, it's going to be an added effort every time. Since I've gone digital, it's not unusual to shoot 100 to 200 pictures in an afternoon. After a week, that's a lot of photographs to alter.

Balrog
07-26-2005, 08:21 AM
Here's (http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/nikond1/page16.asp) the link to the DPreview page that discusses the D1 color issues.

kornhauser
07-26-2005, 09:04 AM
Thanks! Hopefully that will help. :D

D70FAN
07-26-2005, 01:36 PM
Thanks! Hopefully that will help. :D

Always keep in mind that the D1 was the first of its kind... 6 years ago!

So some minor tweaks may be necessary, and should be expected.

Again, I think you will find a lot more first hand user information on the Nikonians site.

Balrog
07-27-2005, 04:26 AM
Heheh .. interesting coincidence: I just had my first real live encounter with a Nikon D1. It was being used by a press photog at a software expo here.. I saw her carrying this massive camera with Nikon written across the front, so naturally I had to go get a closer look :) .. and sure enough, it was a D1 .. that thing is a BRICK!!