PDA

View Full Version : Do not buy from: Web Camera, San Francisco

britdigicamuser
09-16-2004, 04:58 PM
I normaly never buy in the real world before checking online.

Recently I made a stupid, hungover error and was suckered in by some totaly con artists in San Francisco in Web Camera near the Fishermans Warf.

They charged $600 for a $200 sigma 28-300 macro zoom lense (a lovley lense).

I would seriously advise you do not buy anything from this store, who incidently do not have a returns policy.

I learny my mistake and I'm hoping to share with you all.

PS They had the part marked at $1200 which they clearly used to do evil hagling skills.

PPS I know how stupid I was but these guys need to be tought a lesson - that people shouldn't buy from such rip off merchants.

Jeff Keller
09-16-2004, 06:54 PM
I wouldn't buy from ANY camera store near Fisherman's Wharf, Chinatown, or Union Square. Stick to Adolph Gasser, Ritz, and that place on Chestnut St in the Marina whose name escapes me.

Laramie Dan
09-17-2004, 03:51 PM
Ditto all the above advice. I was on a business trip and stayed at the Chinatown Holiday Inn. On the last day of my trip I had a lot of free time so wandered into a shop on Grant St. I spotted a Finepix S5000 and really liked it. I said what would it cost - $799! Note that I had gone in just out of curiosity, have been into photog. over 25 years, and knew nothing about digicams. I "got them down" to $600 including tax and everything. They said I drove a hard bargain. What a deal huh? Impulse buying sucks. Got home and saw what the street prices really are. Lost a few winks over that one. The thing is, I lucked out in at least getting a great camera. It is a gas to use.

D70FAN
09-17-2004, 04:22 PM
Ditto all the above advice. I was on a business trip and stayed at the Chinatown Holiday Inn. On the last day of my trip I had a lot of free time so wandered into a shop on Grant St. I spotted a Finepix S5000 and really liked it. I said what would it cost - $799! Note that I had gone in just out of curiosity, have been into photog. over 25 years, and knew nothing about digicams. I "got them down" to $600 including tax and everything. They said I drove a hard bargain. What a deal huh? Impulse buying sucks. Got home and saw what the street prices really are. Lost a few winks over that one. The thing is, I lucked out in at least getting a great camera. It is a gas to use.

When you consider that a couple of years ago you would have paid $1000 for a camera with the S5000's capabilities, you did ok. An extra $100 is not too bad.

Just enjoy the camera and stay away from Grant St. Hope you got some good shots of China Town... ;)

Laramie Dan
09-20-2004, 10:58 AM
Thanks George - that's how I have been thinking about it.