PDA

View Full Version : Release date for DMC-FZ20 Silver?

sendit2matt
09-16-2004, 12:24 PM
I have seen several posts saying that the FZ-20 is available now from Circuit City. Does this include the silver version? Amazon listed the release date as 9/21, then they changed it today to 10/10. But I notice they list the same release date for the black version. Can anyone confirm if the silver version is available...or provide any other information?

PS: The "Panasonic Store" on Panasonic's website now lists the silver model as available to order online (but not the black!). Has anyone ordered directly from Panasonic?

Thanks,

Matthew

MikeCamp
09-16-2004, 06:29 PM
I have seen several posts saying that the FZ-20 is available now from Circuit City.

PS: The "Panasonic Store" on Panasonic's website now lists the silver model as available to order online (but not the black!). Has anyone ordered directly from Panasonic?

Thanks,

Matthew

Black at Circuit City. No silver that I know of.

Never ordered from Panasonic directly but I'm sure you'll have no problem with them.

Just wondering why you want the silver?

IVIIVI4ck3y27
09-16-2004, 07:05 PM
Black at Circuit City. No silver that I know of.

Never ordered from Panasonic directly but I'm sure you'll have no problem with them.

Just wondering why you want the silver?
I'd recommend checking the black one out in person. I was originally dead-set against the black from seeing the online photos of it (looked ugly in most captures), but none of the photos did the camera justice in black. Seeing it in person changed my mind in favor of the black as I found it to look far more attractive in person, and honestly even more attractive than the silver model.

Also, just to note, someone brought up a qualm in the various user reviews I read with regard to the silver one that also swayed me that I'd not thought of prior. Black absorbs light (why black t-shirts are hotter during summer than white), whereas lighter colored bodies reflect (i.e. silver, champagne, etc.). Keep in mind that shooting with the silver model could see light reflecting off and making taking photos painful during daylight hours. It hadn't really dawned on me 'til someone brought that up and it makes sense honestly.

Check out Ritz or Wolf camera if you have one in your area, or look at their online website. I eventually bought my FZ10k through them and while it wasn't the cheapest price, I was able to pick one up in person, buy the necessary goodies for it on the spot, and get their extended warranty plan that is renewable up to 5 years in case of any stupidity or negligence on my part (LoL), or just general malfunctions if they occur.

John_Reed
09-16-2004, 11:45 PM
I'd recommend checking the black one out in person. I was originally dead-set against the black from seeing the online photos of it (looked ugly in most captures), but none of the photos did the camera justice in black. Seeing it in person changed my mind in favor of the black as I found it to look far more attractive in person, and honestly even more attractive than the silver model.

Also, just to note, someone brought up a qualm in the various user reviews I read with regard to the silver one that also swayed me that I'd not thought of prior. Black absorbs light (why black t-shirts are hotter during summer than white), whereas lighter colored bodies reflect (i.e. silver, champagne, etc.). Keep in mind that shooting with the silver model could see light reflecting off and making taking photos painful during daylight hours. It hadn't really dawned on me 'til someone brought that up and it makes sense honestly.

Check out Ritz or Wolf camera if you have one in your area, or look at their online website. I eventually bought my FZ10k through them and while it wasn't the cheapest price, I was able to pick one up in person, buy the necessary goodies for it on the spot, and get their extended warranty plan that is renewable up to 5 years in case of any stupidity or negligence on my part (LoL), or just general malfunctions if they occur.I've had silver FZ1s for 1.5 years, never had a blinding reflection bother me yet. But the bigger issue relates to the type of photography you do. If you like to do "stealth" street photos, which you can do with a long zoom, since your "subject" doesn't know he/she is a "subject," you'll have a much easier time keeping a silver camera "on the stealth" than a black camera. Especially with my black FZ10, when I point that sucker at someone, they know it! Yet I could do the same thing with my silver FZ1, and go un-noticed.

Jeff Keller
09-17-2004, 12:02 AM
If you like to do "stealth" street photos, which you can do with a long zoom, since your "subject" doesn't know he/she is a "subject," you'll have a much easier time keeping a silver camera "on the stealth" than a black camera. Especially with my black FZ10, when I point that sucker at someone, they know it! Yet I could do the same thing with my silver FZ1, and go un-noticed.

John you don't run one of those dirty websites, do you? :eek:

John_Reed
09-17-2004, 07:12 AM
John you don't run one of those dirty websites, do you? :eek:Hey Jeff, I said street photos! ;)

Peter Gregg
09-17-2004, 07:50 PM
I agree with silver. Having the Canon MKII and the new Canon 20D, whenever you raise up a black camera heads turn. Raise up a silver camera and "who cares". I'll take the silver camera every time for stealth purposes. In today's age, taking pictures of children with a large black camera, even though legal on public places, causes people to be concerned. Silver cameras let you capture those cute little things they do with a lot less hassle. Same for senior citizens. Heck, same thing with the folks around the house. Silver is in, black is out. But for those guys that want a big professional looking camera, you can't beat the big black FZ20 for that heavy duty look.

~Peter Gregg

D70FAN
09-18-2004, 08:49 AM
I agree with silver. Having the Canon MKII and the new Canon 20D, whenever you raise up a black camera heads turn. Raise up a silver camera and "who cares". I'll take the silver camera every time for stealth purposes. In today's age, taking pictures of children with a large black camera, even though legal on public places, causes people to be concerned. Silver cameras let you capture those cute little things they do with a lot less hassle. Same for senior citizens. Heck, same thing with the folks around the house. Silver is in, black is out. But for those guys that want a big professional looking camera, you can't beat the big black FZ20 for that heavy duty look.

~Peter Gregg

This is true even with small black cameras. Nobody batted an eye when I would shoot "people shots" with my 990, but aim the D70 in their general direction and you would think I was holding a .357 magnum. That's another reason I am looking at the FZ3 for a point-n-shoot.