View Full Version : Nikon D50, another good review @

miguelito
07-23-2005, 10:34 AM
final full review @ dpreview....

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/nikond50/

enjoy

slitman
07-24-2005, 05:16 AM
Looks like yet another excellent review on the D50.

JN99
07-25-2005, 04:01 PM
To date the review at dpreview is the only one I've seen. Can you please post where you have seen others? Thx

Rex914
07-25-2005, 11:36 PM
*coughs VERY loudly* Points to this site.

I don't want to sound mean or anything, but it does help to look at the front page of the site once on a while...

JN99
07-26-2005, 08:06 AM
Um, yes, seen that one.... It was up before the dpreview one. I was wondering if there are others. I don't want to sound mean or anything, but I thought that was obvious. Guess some folk need everything spelled out for em...

slitman
07-26-2005, 07:06 PM
Check out the following for all the reviews on the D50 so far:

http://www.ultimateslr.com/nikon-d50.php

Um, yes, seen that one.... It was up before the dpreview one. I was wondering if there are others. I don't want to sound mean or anything, but I thought that was obvious. Guess some folk need everything spelled out for em...

larrytucaz
07-28-2005, 04:07 AM
OK, by the way, hello to all of you. Just registered for posting here at DcResource.Com. I also post under the same handle at dpreview.com, but am trying things out here. Frankly, the Canon 300D/350D forum over there--well, let's just say that many of the 350D posters there think their camera walks on water, seem very defensive of it vs the D50. They love to quote page 23 of the dpreview review (the "compared to EOS 350D" page) as if the other 20-odd pages don't even exist. Frankly, I think maybe I should post here awhile, over there I've about given up dealing with a reasonable person.

As I mentioned there, I do have the Canon EOS 300D but shot Nikon for a long time prior--and the D50 interests me. (Hope you Nikon guys can swallow my presence here.) :rolleyes: The review at Dpreview was good to see, and seemed a lot like the one here. I agree 100% with the DcResource.Com guy (Jeff?)--I much prefer the feel of the D50. Honestly, I've obtained good results from my 300D despite its limitations (why didn't I get the D70 last year? Price, got a killer deal at the time, couldn't say no) and thus was excited about the 350D--until I saw it in the stores, what a letdown.

One, those danged WB/ISO/QUAL/FEC (etc) controls. Why in the WORLD they had the color-LCD used for changing those settings is beyond me. That is SO point & shootish. Yes, there are buttons assigned to them, but still. (To be fair, the D50 and D70/s require you to use the menu to go from AF-S to AF-C, and to go from "all 5 AF points" mode to "user selectable" AF-point mode.) Two, the camera is just too small to me. I agree with Jeff here at DcResource.Com--I don't want my D-SLRs to be that small.

Nikon got it right with the D50--it is smaller than the D70, but doesn't feel TOO small, and in fact really feels like a "baby D70." Yes they shouldn't have left off the backlight for the control-panel LCD, but to be fair--if it's so dark you can't see the LCD often-times you can't see the buttons either, and still need a flashlight anyway. Tip to all manufacturers--try illuminating the text-labels to the buttons as well as the LCD, like car dashlights do (maybe would drain the battery too much?).

Nikon got a winner on its hands with the D50. Honestly, I am getting good results with my 300D (hacked) and I do like the 20D, so maybe going to the D50 isn't the move for me if I can "move up" to the 20D for not much more. I am curious to see what the Nikon D200 will be like--hope it competes well with the 20D. If it does, then I may want to come back to the Nikon system. Regardless, I have found--the photos are what matter most.

Well, I'm up at a crazy hour (woke up having to go to the bathroom), time to go back to bed. Look forward to reading more posts here and participating.

D70FAN
07-28-2005, 07:43 AM
OK, by the way, hello to all of you. Just registered for posting here at DcResource.Com. I also post under the same handle at dpreview.com, but am trying things out here. Frankly, the Canon 300D/350D forum over there--well, let's just say that many of the 350D posters there think their camera walks on water, seem very defensive of it vs the D50. They love to quote page 23 of the dpreview review (the "compared to EOS 350D" page) as if the other 20-odd pages don't even exist. Frankly, I think maybe I should post here awhile, over there I've about given up dealing with a reasonable person.

As I mentioned there, I do have the Canon EOS 300D but shot Nikon for a long time prior--and the D50 interests me. (Hope you Nikon guys can swallow my presence here.) :rolleyes: The review at Dpreview was good to see, and seemed a lot like the one here. I agree 100% with the DcResource.Com guy (Jeff?)--I much prefer the feel of the D50. Honestly, I've obtained good results from my 300D despite its limitations (why didn't I get the D70 last year? Price, got a killer deal at the time, couldn't say no) and thus was excited about the 350D--until I saw it in the stores, what a letdown.

One, those danged WB/ISO/QUAL/FEC (etc) controls. Why in the WORLD they had the color-LCD used for changing those settings is beyond me. That is SO point & shootish. Yes, there are buttons assigned to them, but still. (To be fair, the D50 and D70/s require you to use the menu to go from AF-S to AF-C, and to go from "all 5 AF points" mode to "user selectable" AF-point mode.) Two, the camera is just too small to me. I agree with Jeff here at DcResource.Com--I don't want my D-SLRs to be that small.

Nikon got it right with the D50--it is smaller than the D70, but doesn't feel TOO small, and in fact really feels like a "baby D70." Yes they shouldn't have left off the backlight for the control-panel LCD, but to be fair--if it's so dark you can't see the LCD often-times you can't see the buttons either, and still need a flashlight anyway. Tip to all manufacturers--try illuminating the text-labels to the buttons as well as the LCD, like car dashlights do (maybe would drain the battery too much?).

Nikon got a winner on its hands with the D50. Honestly, I am getting good results with my 300D (hacked) and I do like the 20D, so maybe going to the D50 isn't the move for me if I can "move up" to the 20D for not much more. I am curious to see what the Nikon D200 will be like--hope it competes well with the 20D. If it does, then I may want to come back to the Nikon system. Regardless, I have found--the photos are what matter most.

Well, I'm up at a crazy hour (woke up having to go to the bathroom), time to go back to bed. Look forward to reading more posts here and participating.

We occasionally go through the Canonians vs. the Nikonians here as well, but seem to get over it fairly quickly. Jeff Keller does keep an eye on us and when we get out of hand referees the thread (i.e. shuts it down) and generally that takes care of it.

You would probably do just as well to stick with Canon at this point, or look at the D70 while they are still being cleared from inventory for $749 (body).

Anyway welcome aboard. Hope to see you post on the Photo Gallery.