PDA

View Full Version : How to.... Copyright?!

kornhauser
07-22-2005, 07:50 PM
I've seen several of you guys mark a picture or series of pictures as being copyrighted. How does one go about that to insure it's protection?

nitr0uzv
07-22-2005, 08:07 PM
We use a watermark program

its just so that people cant steal your pictures and say its theirs

I use Reawatermark

David Metsky
07-22-2005, 08:16 PM
Keep in mind that your image is copyrighted as soon as you take it, you don't need to put anything on it to claim your copyright. It makes it easier to prove or to prevent people from using your image without your permission, but you have the copyright as soon as you take the picture.

-dave-

JTL
07-22-2005, 10:24 PM
Keep in mind that your image is copyrighted as soon as you take it, you don't need to put anything on it to claim your copyright. It makes it easier to prove or to prevent people from using your image without your permission, but you have the copyright as soon as you take the picture.

-dave-While this is generally true, it has not always protected copyright holders. Copyright law precedent has been set that favors those who actively claim their copyright either by applying a mark and having "proveable" originals (there are archiving services that act as a trusted "lock-box") or registering the material with the Library of Congress. This is the only way to guarantee your rights and win in court.

timmciglobal
07-22-2005, 11:06 PM
If you want a cheap method of insurance, throw your images you think require "copyright protection" in the future on a CD, package it securly and mail it to yourself. Never open it.

If you have to prove it in court you've got an unopened package with a CD on it with your images as of a certain date.

Tim

kornhauser
07-23-2005, 03:17 AM
While this is generally true, it has not always protected copyright holders. Copyright law precedent has been set that favors those who actively claim their copyright either by applying a mark and having "proveable" originals (there are archiving services that act as a trusted "lock-box") or registering the material with the Library of Congress. This is the only way to guarantee your rights and win in court.

That's what I thought.

Seems taking a picture and slapping a "cirlce C" on it without going through this process invites litigation trouble down the line. I can always put the "circle C" on my pictures, but I don't think that makes it binding.

How many photographers then really go through the trouble of registering their pictures as true copyright? What's the cost?

Anyone ever put a copyright logo on a picture and had to address it's true origin and defend taking it?