PDA

View Full Version : Nikon D1 - Flash Advice

kornhauser
07-22-2005, 07:16 PM
My Nikon D1 just came in the mail yesterday. The battery charger arrived today along with a Tamron 28-200 Super II AF lens. I tracked the battery that should be here tomorrow and I'm all set to start.

Question though, I'm going to need a flash. I'm thinking of the Nikon Speedlight 600, which will also fit on my Nikon 8800. Or maybe the Nikon SBB-50, or maybe the SB-28, or maybe something from Vivitar.

Aarrgghh! Too many options. Anyone got a suggestion from experience? :(

D70FAN
07-23-2005, 07:28 AM
My Nikon D1 just came in the mail yesterday. The battery charger arrived today along with a Tamron 28-200 Super II AF lens. I tracked the battery that should be here tomorrow and I'm all set to start.

Question though, I'm going to need a flash. I'm thinking of the Nikon Speedlight 600, which will also fit on my Nikon 8800. Or maybe the Nikon SBB-50, or maybe the SB-28, or maybe something from Vivitar.

From what I have read, the SB28 was actually designed for the D1 (and maybe the F100). So you might want to start there.

I have to admit that I'm looking forward to your comments on the D1 as I am seriously considering either a D1 or D1X (used). I have seen a lot of pictures taken with a D1 and you would never know that it is only 2.6MP.

Keep posting.

kornhauser
07-23-2005, 07:46 PM
I printed out the old brochures for the Nikon D1. According to the brochure the SB-28 (not the SB-28 DX) was very well suited for the needs of the D1. Just bought one on eBay tonight with a commercial defuser for $130.00. I think it will work great! Thanks for the help!

D70FAN
07-24-2005, 12:01 AM
I printed out the old brochures for the Nikon D1. According to the brochure the SB-28 (not the SB-28 DX) was very well suited for the needs of the D1. Just bought one on eBay tonight with a commercial defuser for $130.00. I think it will work great! Thanks for the help!

Extremely cool. I think I'm looking forward to this as much as you are. ;)

I just finished a day trip up to the Grand Canyon to test out the Nikkor 28-70 f2.8 (rented). Hopefully I'll get around to them tomorrow. I found that the 28-70 focal length worked out fine for shooting landscapes, so now I'll take a look at the Tamron 28-75 f2.8 and test it against the best (Nikkor=$1500 vs Tamy=$370).

kornhauser
07-24-2005, 03:45 AM
Extremely cool. I think I'm looking forward to this as much as you are. ;)

I just finished a day trip up to the Grand Canyon to test out the Nikkor 28-70 f2.8 (rented). Hopefully I'll get around to them tomorrow. I found that the 28-70 focal length worked out fine for shooting landscapes, so now I'll take a look at the Tamron 28-75 f2.8 and test it against the best (Nikkor=$1500 vs Tamy=$370).

Renting a lens? Why didn't I think of that! I'm sure there's someone in this state that does that. Keep me from having to buy a 500mm lens when I might only need to use it once or twice!

D70FAN
07-24-2005, 08:43 AM
Renting a lens? Why didn't I think of that! I'm sure there's someone in this state that does that. Keep me from having to buy a 500mm lens when I might only need to use it once or twice!

Exactly! For $35, for an entire weekend, I can use the best. Which allows me to guage the quality of lenses that I can afford.

So far I have used the 80-200 f2.8 - primo but use a monopod. The 70-200 f2.8 - not even close to the 80-200 and is considerably more expensive. And this weekend the very nice (but $1500) 28-70 f2.8 which I will evaluate today.

Again the idea is to take reference shots and compare to lenses like the 18-125 that I own (which is pretty darned good as it turns out), and the tamron 28-75 f2.8 (which I'm still seriously considering).

I am shooting 100% RAW and only selectively converting to JPEG so it takes me a little longer to post them.

hatal
07-27-2005, 11:28 PM

I would probably buy the SB600. I have a D1x and a D70. I have an SB80DX and an SB50DX. I purchased a Sigma EF-500 DG ST a little while after the D70. The SB600 is newer technology that the newer Nikons (if you upgrade in the future) can take full advantage of. The Sigma's are a good value, but if I had an opportunity to purchase again, I would choose the "Super" version of the Sigma or the SB 600/800. The "Super" version of the Sigma takes full advantage of the wireless flash function of the newer Nikon's.
These flashes work flawlessly with the D1/x/h.

kornhauser
07-28-2005, 02:55 AM
Hatal,

Thanks for your input, but I've already (above) bought a SB-28. I've also got a Nikon 8800. The 600 would have been great for both cameras, but I already bought an aftermarket flash for the 8800 I'm happy with. I got a used SB-28 on eBay and I'm (still waiting for it to arrive) looking forward to it.

D70FAN
07-28-2005, 06:32 AM
Hatal,

Thanks for your input, but I've already (above) bought a SB-28. I've also got a Nikon 8800. The 600 would have been great for both cameras, but I already bought an aftermarket flash for the 8800 I'm happy with. I got a used SB-28 on eBay and I'm (still waiting for it to arrive) looking forward to it.

How is the D1 doing? Have you posted any pics?

hatal
07-28-2005, 08:56 PM
Hatal,

Good shooting. Is this the SB28DX? The DX versions did the "D-TTL".

kornhauser
07-28-2005, 09:14 PM
The flash is the SB-28, not the DX. Just got it in the mail this afternoon, so I haven't had a chance to try it.

George, as far as pictures go, I've taken quite a few, but haven't had a chance to post them yet. It's now mid-night and I just walked in the door from work. I'm going on vacation next week and I think work is trying to make up for the forty hours lost.

I'm still having a color problem, though working through all the bugs. I'm hoping indoor pictures with the flash come out good! The camera seems to like still life better than people. I promise to load up some pictures this weekend. Some that I've taken I've been very happy with. The D1 reminds me a lot of 35mm shooting. Some you like, some you don't. The 8800 spoiled me, cause I can't recall ever taking a poor picture with it. When I go vacation, it'll be the 8800 that comes along. However, the D1 is going to be put to good use here!

Cold Snail
07-29-2005, 02:50 AM
I'm still having a color problem, though working through all the bugs. I'm hoping indoor pictures with the flash come out good!

Does it have the reddish tones like a DCS410?
If so, try White Point at The Imaging Factory (http://www.theimagingfactory.com/) That made my daytime photos balance out nicely.
The other way is to get a Hot Mirror filter, but they are quite rare now.